Starting a garden

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/14/2021 at 10:17 AM, Snowy79 said:

If I had a garden anti mosquito plants would be my priority.  Things like citronella grass. rosemary, mint, basil etc.

Snowy it amazing what can be done on a small terrace. Unfortunately I cannot take credit how ever my green fingered partners grows so much on our tiny terrace with a very high stand. She supplies all our mint, Celery, Dill, tarragon, basil, peppers, parsley chives alabarte and goodness knows what else. Admittedly my space has shrunk considerably how ever to avail of fresh herbs I suffer in silence.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/15/2021 at 10:28 PM, graham59 said:

Looking out of my 'man-cave' window...  now that I've cut the grass:  :smile:

138284623_10225128268294277_3457252985723952697_o.jpg

Wow now thats impressive.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RBM said:

Snowy it amazing what can be done on a small terrace. Unfortunately I cannot take credit how ever my green fingered partners grows so much on our tiny terrace with a very high stand. She supplies all our mint, Celery, Dill, tarragon, basil, peppers, parsley chives alabarte and goodness knows what else. Admittedly my space has shrunk considerably how ever to avail of fresh herbs I suffer in silence.

RBM... we have a fair bit of space here, as you have seen from our home build photos... 

Last week I planted a green lime tree start and on Thursday I started trying to sprout seeds from some nice yellow lemons we had recently.

L intends to grow a similar variety of herbs here too. I will pass on tarragon (never liked it) but add cilantro to the mix. We already have mint and super hot, small chili peppers, lemon grass, wild tomatoes and some type of wild squash (waiting to see what that will be) and, of course, the previously mentioned garlic chives... What is alabarte? Never heard of that...

It's really great to read about other's veggie and herb gardens here. Nothing tastes better or fresher than home-grown!:cheersty:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Be very careful with casava as it is highly poisonous if not prepared correctly.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/food-poisoning-kills-27-in-philippines-sickens-100-children-who-ate-cassava/

No worries....the nephew and his family will be eating it anyway... not us. I'm sure he'll know how to prepare it for safe human consumption. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

It seems that you have a large property, Graham - so many vegetables and your photos show lots of open space.:smile:

It's only a 580 square metre lot Tommy.  The house is pretty compact though, (80 square. metres) but space enough for the three of us. 

Had some much-needed rain overnight, so things should green up a bit.  

Not so good for the construction we've had going on this week though.  Day off for the workers.

Edited by graham59

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, graham59 said:

It's only a 580 square metre lot Tommy.  The house is pretty compact though, (80 square. metres) but space enough for the three of us. 

Had some much-needed rain overnight, so things should green up a bit.  

Not so good for the construction we've had going on this week though.  Day off for the workers.

Well, Graham, you and yours have done a really nice job there. L and I hope to emulate your work on our similarly sized space of 660 minus the home ground-floor foot print of about 150+/-? I likely will steal some of your layout and plantings! Did you plant grass seeds or is that natural? Is it Bermuda grass or caribou grass? I cannot tell from your photos.

We have natural caribou grass starting wild almost everywhere and I am happy to have some ground cover rather than mud. It has rained most days and/or nights for several months now. I need to buy some simple boots to walk around, otherwise I pick up an inch or more of sticky mud on my flip-flops always.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

It's just the 'normal' grass that grows around here...regularly cut and 'tamed'.  I use one of those 'brush-cutter' things, but am having my old Flymo hover mower sent over from the UK.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, graham59 said:

It's just the 'normal' grass that grows around here...regularly cut and 'tamed'.  I use one of those 'brush-cutter' things, but am having my old Flymo hover mower sent over from the UK.

I have been using a "brush-cutter" (in USA we often call them "weed-whackers") but it is difficult to keep the grass level consistent. I may try to buy a real lawnmower some time, but first we need to tame the land here - still many large and small rocks or stones and the land is also uneven with small hills and valleys. It is difficult to walk in some places due to that.

If there weren't all the stones and rocks, I would consider either renting (if even available here?) or buying a roto-tiller. The earth here seems to be fertile, but it has been compacted from the construction workers so needs to be loosened up. I have done a bit of that with a shovel for a few plantings, but it is difficult. We hired a guy to come by once a week to do this, but he is unavailable today...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 1/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, Queenie O. said:

If one has a small space that they can set aside in their yard, a compost pile is great to have. We put out fruit rinds all day and vegetable waste and grass leaf cuttings. You'd be surprised how quickly here in Cebu this waste can turn into dark compost soil that can be spread around. We've had ours quite a long time. Besides attracting many birds to the rinds, in just about a week the compost is already breaking down quickly. The pile is always flattening out quickly, and there are no odors.

Hello Queenie.

We have heard from neighbours that rats are common in this area - and I am sure we had one in the house for a few days! Yuck!!

Are you having any issues with rats, mice, cockroaches, cats or dogs feeding on your compost pile?

It's been a long time since I ever had a compost pile. Can I also dump things like pulled-up weeds into it?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

We used to open the home open all day until late at night.

Now we close up for mosquitos and critters starting at about 4 pm. No more rats and few mozzies now...

We may be slow, but we are learning...

• Like 1