Starting a garden

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, RBM said:

Very restrictive living in a shoe box condo, terrace tiny..... best she can do......

CONDO GARDEN

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'CHILI CH SUN FLOWER DILL Celera TYME Parsley arsley ParSley CHIYES CHIVES 2021 02 05 16:59 Aloe'

Looks good RBM. You have a decent variety there.😀

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not photo worthy yet, but we now have radishes and bean plants showing out of the garden beds. Still waiting for the cucumber and red onions to start. Some of the corn is sprouting flowers on top, even though the plants are still way short. I transplanted maybe 12 or more from outside because a neighbour's goats took a fancy to the small plants and munched 6 or more to the stalks. The same goats also like the sunflower starts, so they are mostly transplanted inside too. I'm thinking that soon I should make some goat curry? I planted Chinese cabbage today and will try planting some pechay tomorrow.

L engineered the layout for an herb garden centered on several rocks and so we have planted several starts - rosemary, cilantro, basil, garlic chives, spring onions, hot chilis, lemon grass (that her departed father started forever ago) and mint. We have a long way to go to approach Jim's wife's efforts, but we are working on it. I want to include dill, thyme, sage (if it will grow here), bay (also if it will grow) and others...

Also, noteworthy to us, the talisay trees and cacao we planted are thriving in this heavy, clay soil. We can see noticeable growth. Soon we won't be seeing our neighbours' home at the back of our property.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've discovered my friendly troop of monkeys like my small garden.  It's more a small strip bolted onto my balcony where I had been throwing random chili, pepper and water melon seeds. I was well impressed that they took hold and were looking promising with quite a few almost ripe for picking.  Then along came the monkeys and I think they took it in turns to pull off a pepper and chili each, take one bite them throw them away.  They loved the water melons though as they were well gone. 

• Sad 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Oh, I'd no idea there were monkeys in Boracay. (I've yet to see a wild one (monkey , that is) here in the Phils, this past 30 years. Must make more of an effort. lol

Definitely wouldn't want them in my garden though ! :no:

• Like 2

fred
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Oh, I'd no idea there were monkeys in Boracay. (I've yet to see a wild one (monkey , that is) here in the Phils, this past 30 years. Must make more of an effort. lol

Definitely wouldn't want them in my garden though ! :no:

We found a wild Tarsier monkey in our garden once.. Apparently, It was sleeping peacefully in a tree till we cut it down. Poor little bugger!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Totally new content for this topic, but it seems relevant to me?

L and I have been working on starting a garden here in Davao since virtually finishing our new home in about November last year (2020).

Well, it has worked out okay, partially, but not completely. We grew some corn and it eventually bore fruit (corn) but was not the best I have ever had. It was a hassle to help it mature and give us the food we wanted. However, we did harvest a number of cobs that were okay.

During the past several weeks the garden has been virtually drowned in the daily downpours. We have some beans and cucumbers, a few tomatoes, some squash to show for our efforts. We do have some herbs that we have used and those are great!

Recently, L planted eggplant and some other vining veggies and they have struggled in the rains. Some things I planted are also struggling as the deluges wash them out. Hmmm... but the weeds and native grasses are flourishing! What a surprise.

Well, we will continue to see what we can do... This is just to update those of you contemplating gardening... It sort-of works, but needs patience and special care along with a modicum of luck...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, RBM said:

Pic on left shows a seedings growth after just 4 days  Right side is seedings shooting up they have been fed on rocket fuel.......Also amazing is the amount of the liquid they consume...like a sponge.

I am really interested in that setup.  Is there a site that shows how those put together and the growing process?

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I am really interested in that setup.  Is there a site that shows how those put together and the growing process?

Thanks for that Mike, its not my doing just the SOH. Most of her ideas came from FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/238713197225209

One does need time to study it Mike, quite a lot in getting the nutrients and compost sorted. The rate of growth is astonishing. 

• Thanks 1