Starting a garden

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am so tired of seeing the topics and commentary regarding politics and the virus... So I will post simply for gardening and food...

The recent daily heavy deluges of rain from storms (for the past two months) virtually every afternoon or night have devastated much of our burgeoning garden...

The wing beans and tomatoes are the winners, so far. Pechay is doing okay, but insects are eating the leaves almost as fast as they grow!

If the weather settles a bit, then we will re-try onions, carrots and some others.

Meanwhile, we are enjoying a bumper crop of the wing beans, herbs and cucumbers.

20210531_135550_resized.jpg

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Sad 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, Tommy T. said:

I am so tired of seeing the topics and commentary regarding politics and the virus... So I will post simply for gardening and food...

The recent daily heavy deluges of rain from storms (for the past two months) virtually every afternoon or night have devastated much of our burgeoning garden...

The wing beans and tomatoes are the winners, so far. Pechay is doing okay, but insects are eating the leaves almost as fast as they grow!

If the weather settles a bit, then we will re-try onions, carrots and some others.

Meanwhile, we are enjoying a bumper crop of the wing beans, herbs and cucumbers.

20210531_135550_resized.jpg

Tommy spoke to my other half whom advised to spray with diluted oregano, 50/50 cost is zero and very effective. Our hydroponic experiment is fascinating, we will be harvesting soon. Unlike yourself with unlimited space we have just a tiny terrace so must make the most of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, graham59 said:

We haven't had too much 'damaging' rain, and there are plenty of tasty treats (plus flowers) in our garden right now. 

Some pics from this morning... 

IMG_20210608_105537.jpg

IMG_20210608_105205.jpg

IMG_20210608_105248.jpg

IMG_20210608_105330.jpg

IMG_20210608_105448.jpg

IMG_20210608_105618.jpg

IMG_20210608_105707.jpg

IMG_20210608_105717.jpg

IMG_20210608_105746.jpg

IMG_20210608_105832.jpg

Love those papayas my favourite fruit, around P60 a kg here.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, RBM said:

Tommy spoke to my other half whom advised to spray with diluted oregano, 50/50 cost is zero and very effective. Our hydroponic experiment is fascinating, we will be harvesting soon. Unlike yourself with unlimited space we have just a tiny terrace so must make the most of it.

Thanks to you and your better half for the tip. We will try that...

We are super impressed by your growing efforts there - really really nice. You guys are doing a great job. That planting array is very cool and, obviously, very effective.

Just yesterday I saw that three lemon seeds germinated so we may have some lemon trees in our future! We have a papaya volunteer growing in the back and three cacao plants along with four table banana plants. It is amazing to see the growth here...

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Tom, I would be curious how the Cacao plants do. 

If ever we move to Philippines having a few coffee bean bushes would be interesting.

• Like 2

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

We have two neem trees

Are you planning on making neem oil?  Its a great pest killer.

Edited by Balisidar
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Balisidar said:

Are you planning on making neem oil?  Its a great pest killer.

That's a great idea!

That's why I wanted to plant those trees here. Supposedly, just the trees, themselves, are supposed to repel mozzies... But, at any rate, it will be a few years before these trees can do anything since they are only a bit shy of waist height...

We have a lot of mozzies in morning and evening. So I have been burning coils starting at 6am and again at 4pm. It would be good to be rid of them naturally, if possible...

• Like 2