Smiling faces.... Are Filipinos truly friendly? Do you have Filipino friends?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Another topic got onto Are Filipinos Friendly.

Everyone says "Filipinos are so friendly!".  As a Foreigner we are often greeted with a smile and sometimes polite words as well. Is this superficial, are Filipinos truly friendly? 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Another topic got onto Are Filipinos Friendly.

Everyone says "Filipinos are so friendly!".  As a Foreigner we are often greeted with a smile and sometimes polite words as well. Is this superficial, are Filipinos truly friendly? 

I guess as friendly as we can be with Filipinos or any other people from abroad in our own Countries, can we also be superficial? I once had a family move in next door from a country I never liked. Yes I was courteous But................................:whatever:

Edited by Jack Peterson
because
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have you any close Filipino friends Jack? I only have a few.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I suppose it's unfair to say locals are unfriendly, rather they are different and we always think our ways are the best, don't we. 

Just 3 examples of mine that explain why I find locals different. 1- We have new neighbours - they had extensive renovations and caused us a fair amount of hassle. They moved in, no apology for anthing and they have never proactively acknowledged any of their neighbours. 2- We want to the family home for NY. We were there a good 20 minutes before any of the family stopped their pottering around to say Hello. Bear in mind we hadn't seen them for 11 months. 3- We shop in the sari sari opposite. They never proactively say hello in passing and never show up at the various events we hold. 

Now, there are different ways of looking at all of the above and we can argue around each case in terms of right/wrong. I'm just saying it's not my/our way. Is it being unfriendly - maybe yes but I think it's something deeper and more nuanced than that. Shy/Reserved/Disinterested perhaps can be used as well.

But, it's not how thet are with me, it's with everyone so nothing personal. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I suspect lots of expats expect Filipinos to do 'western things' and act in 'western ways' and sure they do sometimes but the Philippines is their country, in my opinion we should be adapting our behaviour to them not the other way around if we want to make friends (I've got a couple of close friends in Ozamiz, not so much in CDO).

Well said Geoff. To have a friend be a friend.

The few Fliipino friends I have made over the years have become very close ones and I consider myself lucky to have them as friends.

Edited by Old55
Spelling errors
  • Like 5

Shady
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

are Filipinos truly friendly? 

Filipinos are quite courteous to people they don't know, either locals or foreigners, because of how they grew up, and who they grew up with. The only problem is if they get too friendly, and start asking favors. But with experience that is easily handled.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

the Philippines is their country, in my opinion we should be adapting our behaviour to them

And it is a big country. Twice as many people as South Korea.  Three times as many as Canada.  Four times as many as Australia.  Why should we assume that their behaviour is the same all over the Philippines.  I did not find it so.

What I found was different sets of behaviour in different locales.  Pretty much what I find in Canada or England or the US.  So the next question would be:  Is it racist to tar all Filipinos with one brush?

Having said that.  I found Filipinos in small, provincial areas to be quite friendly.  I found Filipinos in larger, urban areas to be a bit plastic.  I found Filipinos in Manila to be reserved and not exude any spectacular friendliness.  All in all it is much like I would find in any country.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And it is a big country. Twice as many people as South Korea.  Three times as many as Canada.  Four times as many as Australia.  Why should we assume that their behaviour is the same all over the Philippines.  I did not find it so.

What I found was different sets of behaviour in different locales.  Pretty much what I find in Canada or England or the US.  So the next question would be:  Is it racist to tar all Filipinos with one brush?

Having said that.  I found Filipinos in small, provincial areas to be quite friendly.  I found Filipinos in larger, urban areas to be a bit plastic.  I found Filipinos in Manila to be reserved and not exude any spectacular friendliness.  All in all it is much like I would find in any country.

No one's being racist Dave. The question is are Filipinos truly friendly or not? In my limited experience you are very correct location often dramatically affects attitudes, good point. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2