Smiling faces.... Are Filipinos truly friendly? Do you have Filipino friends?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's not what you say, it's the way that you say it, that makes the difference.

Interesting reading and experiences stated, it takes all kinds to make a world.

In the twenty years visiting Philippines I have seen a lot of changes in both culture

and construction, not all for the better with Western influences.

But as my signature say's......I've not given up hope for this world yet. :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

You Maybe, but in my many years here I have nothing to say that bad about them, I don't get any so called Treatment but then, I don't strutt about or Quote my Means, many, many Foreigners her and sad to say you are beginning sounding to be on that street, Look at me I can employ and I can Fire, My friend, when people shout I am and can do is it any wonder they become targets Life is a two way Street But..................... Success can be found from others failures, Blaming others is not  (to me anyway)the way Forward but each to our Own. Let's hope you get a bit more success with life in the Future, For me this Topic is done with because, because I am a happy Bunny who can see both sides and feel no pride in continuing to pull these people down :smile:  

I think you're not getting the story straight and there's no need to patronise anyone. My life in Davao was but a chapter and I am fully over it. The experience did make me cynical and realistic about what these people really are and do. If you are a Happy Bunny because, like 99.9% of Western foreigners here, you retired peacefully around Dumaguete and had limited interaction with the locals, apart from maybe your wife's family, then more power to you.

Based on my own experience and that of countless of foreigners, old and young, who came here to do a bit more that retire, I can see the Filipinos' shortcomings as much as can see my own.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, TerryP said:

I can understand why you are so keen to get back to Italy now

I hope you can find your way back there very soon and your wife can be much happier there than you are in the Philippines

I will be stay here if there's a reason to be here. I can work from Italy or anywhere else, so we will see what happens after C's masters.

The elephant in the room remains, though: for how soft and compassionate we want to be when judging them, it's Filipinos themselves who are the most critical about their own country, their own society, the way their affairs are run.

Those who are the wrong side of privilege go abroad, if they can. Those who can't and have to stay here try to brave the situation the best way they can. Some of the lucky ones, usually young women, hope to escape on the wings of a foreign partner.

• Hmm thinking 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shady said:

If PH was like other countries you wouldn't see foreigners flock here, when the reality is quite the opposite, because the PH Is unlike most nations.

There is an inherent competitiveness in many North Asian countries that is entirely lacking in the PH. Similarly, the fact that PH is demographically homogeneous makes it entirely different than the culture of Western nations.

That perceived friendly, easy and inexpensive way of life is exactly what drew me here, like - I believe - it did with most of you guys here.

It's true that the collective spirit here is not one of hard work, excellence and competitiveness, like it could be in Japan and maybe China. People here simply live and let live. Sometimes, a bit too much, to the point that that passivity and frugality that we foreigners seem to love end up being the country's downfall.

1 hour ago, Shady said:

It's basically an oligarchy, an elite class and a lower class. It's that lower class that most foreigners deal with, and consider friendly. As I said because of their upbringing, not seeing their neighbor as competition, but as one of their own. That's embedded in the culture, and it's actually shocking to anyone from the West who's been here for any length of time.

Just one example, if your taxi driver needs to ask directions from someone that they clearly never met before, watch the interaction, smiling, patient, helpful.  Now compare that to a random Western interaction.

That lower class most foreigners end up deal with is exactly the type of people I would only consider superficially friendly. And that bayanihan ("cooperative spirit") I also believed was at the basis of their best behaviour, is also very fragile and inconsistent most of the times.

Yes, the taxi driver will be given directions by passer-bys and the guy with the tire stuck in a ditch will be promptly helped out by total strangers. At the same time, these tend to be the same people who stop talking to each other over inheritance matters, who shamelessly leech on the OFW auntie or daughter, or on the foreign man who has married into the family.

I have been here for more than 5 years now and I just find it hard to put the rosy goggles back on.

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Filipinos themselves who are the most critical about their own country, their own society, the way their affairs are run.

Just for the recordI have never come across an OFW here in UK who is not proud of their country....no matter what anybody else thinks!

• Like 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Just for the recordI have never come across an OFW here in UK who is not proud of their country....no matter what anybody else thinks!

Sure, they are proud of their country if they miss it, and their families, their food, their traditions... They certainly miss the good stuff about the Philippines and being a Filipino.

I think it's human nature, after all: nostalgia paints our memories with the sweetest colour and we tend to forget the dark hues that motivated us to leave in the first place.

It happened to me when I left Italy for London, too.

Reality remains, that most lower-class Filipinos tend to feel entitled to a share of whatever other people have. Maybe it's bayanihan twisted to its extreme. Maybe it's just ignorance mixed with greed. I just don't like to be involved with people who behave by this principle.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Like I said we still talk on the internet , here is a picture of my mate Arnold.

F3B2B640-DD4D-413D-97F9-30FF878D3964.jpeg

Ah yes, instantly recognizable!!!

:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here are some smiling faces I encountered yesterday afternoon, at a neighbour's just up the road:  :smile:

134995671_10225021435263518_1437843616135975666_o.jpg

133447389_10225021436063538_800863418679331485_o.jpg

( I wasn't asked for any money or 'favours' by these 'lower class' people. )

Edited by graham59
  • Like 4
  • Love it 1