Jack Ma Missing

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Possibly a reminder that the CCP does not play nice.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/jack-ma-missing-232138645.html

Spoiler

Chinese billionaire Jack Ma suspected missing

Speculation has swirled around Chinese billionaire Jack Ma’s whereabouts after reports surfaced that the high-profile businessman has not made a public appearance in more than two months.

The Alibaba founder also failed to appear as scheduled in the final episode of his own talent show, Africa’s Business Heroes, which gives budding African entrepreneurs the chance to compete for a slice of US $1.5 million.

Ma was supposed to be part of the judging, but was replaced by an Alibaba executive in the November final, UK’s Telegraph reported. His picture was also taken off the website.

An Alibaba spokesperson said Ma was unable to take part on the judging panel “due to a schedule conflict”, according to Financial Times.

Ma’s business empire, Ant Group, has been under scrutiny by Beijing ever since Ma delivered a controversial speech in Shanghai on 24 October that criticised China’s regulation system for stifling innovation and likened global banking rules to an “old people’s club”.

“Today’s financial system is the legacy of the Industrial Age,” Ma said in the speech.

“We must set up a new one for the next generation and young people. We must reform the current system.”

Little over a week later, Ant’s IPO (valued at a record-setting US $37 billion or AU $48 billion), which had already received the green light from China’s securities watchdog, was suspended, with the Shanghai Stock Exchange saying Ant had reported “significant issues such as the changes in financial technology regulatory environment”.

But US veteran investor Mark Mobius said the move was designed to curtail financial institutions from getting too big.

“I believe the Chinese government stepped in because they realised that they had to regulate these companies, so that they don’t … get too big,” he told CNBC.

“The Chinese government is waking up to the fact that they cannot allow these companies that dominate a particular sector and particularly the financial sector.”

Chinese authorities launched an anti-monopoly investigation into Alibaba in late December and told Ant Group to restructure its operations.

Ma has donated millions of face masks to Europe, the US and the World Health Organisation in a bid to stem the pandemic.

The billionaire is also involved in charity work, with the Jack Ma Foundation focused on areas of education, entrepreneurship, female leadership, and the environment.

The Foundation has distributed or pledged more than US $300 million, Forbes reported.

Ma’s last tweet was on 10 October last year.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Added story
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

He's not missing. Disappeared more likely.

Dictator Xi and the ccp are absolute rulers of mainland China any slightest threat are quickly dealt with.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Disappeared more likely.

Always wondered what one of the smarted guys in the country can learn at a "reeducation" camp :hystery:

• Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I have a good friend from Hong Kong and he was saying about Jack Ma that he could end up in long term incarceration as he has grown too popular for the Comminist party, he was allegedly getting protection from the previous chairman but that only goes so far.  My friend is reasonably wealthy and has moved to Thailand and taken enough money with him to survive out his days.  He still runs a successfull business in Hong Kong but he thinks the Chinese Government are looking at ways of controlling everyone's finances to keep dissent down.

Currently they are having issues with the youth particularly students who have nothing to lose.  Control their parents finances and the parents will control the youth he says.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

I have a good friend from Hong Kong and he was saying about Jack Ma that he could end up in long term incarceration as he has grown too popular for the Comminist party, he was allegedly getting protection from the previous chairman but that only goes so far.  My friend is reasonably wealthy and has moved to Thailand and taken enough money with him to survive out his days.  He still runs a successfull business in Hong Kong but he thinks the Chinese Government are looking at ways of controlling everyone's finances to keep dissent down.

Currently they are having issues with the youth particularly students who have nothing to lose.  Control their parents finances and the parents will control the youth he says.

I lived there (Hong Kong) for 10 years until 2015.  During my time there was little or no Chinese intervention and the fact that Hong Kong was ultimately under Chinese control was in the background.  Then came the so called Umbrella Revolution at the end of 2014 and things changed pretty much overnight.  

A perfect example of why we shouldn't poke the tiger. 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I lived there (Hong Kong) for 10 years until 2015.  During my time there was little or no Chinese intervention and the fact that Hong Kong was ultimately under Chinese control was in the background.  Then came the so called Umbrella Revolution at the end of 2014 and things changed pretty much overnight.  

I understand the CCP also threatened any students studying overseas with punishment if they spoke out against China. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54718434

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Alibaba founder Jack Ma is lying low for the time being, but he's not missing

After reports speculating about Alibaba founder Jack Ma's whereabouts, CNBC's David Faber reported Tuesday that the billionaire is not missing, according to a person familiar with the matter. Instead, Ma has been lying low for the time being, Faber reported.

Outlets including The Wall Street Journal reported this week that Ma has not been seen in public since he spoke at a forum in late October where he appeared to be critical of China's financial regulators.

Shortly after, Ma's Ant Group saw its record-setting initial public offering suspended by stock exchanges in Shanghai and Hong Kong. Ma and two Ant Group executives were summoned and interviewed by regulators in China, the China Securities Regulatory Commission said in a November statement.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I just love these unnamed sources.....my money is on house arrest :stop_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, scott h said:

I just love these unnamed sources.....my money is on house arrest :stop_80_anim_gif:

Jack Ma last seen in CCP re-education camp singing praises to the cultural revolution... LOL...

• Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

I lived there 1988 to 1998 and it was possibly the " perfect " time for HK. China was just a noisy spittle ridden place over the border and had no influence on HK except for selling its chemically soaked vegetables in Park n Shop there or peope going to Shenzhen for copy handbags etc.

And then June 30th, on a very rainy and foggy night ( tears of a British god  lol ) the handover was made. Chinese troops entered the city , but were immediately confined to barracks and slowly but surely the thugs who govern Beijing ( and I lived in that polluted spittle ridden place for a few years too )  bought their controlling thinking into the wonderful place that HK was.  And slowly but surely they sought the only thing they know how to do.. and that is control.

Freedom of thought ? If China could find a way to do that they surely would.

Jack Ma.. hopefully his money is far from the CCP's hands , and eventually he will reappear, probably with an interview where he will state he went " down the wrong path" and has " learned his mistakes and corrected his errors through self education etc etc.......Run Jack Run !!!!

• Like 1