US capital building occupied by Americans. Police shoot one. Politicians hiding.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I know we've chatted on this before Scott, and i get it that to many the idea of going to the polling place, putting your cross on the paper and looking the ballot box staff in the eye as you register your vote is important to many - and I don't really disagree on that but if the alternative allows democracy to work better then so be it. 

Edit to add - I should have put that if at the end  in capitals, of course!

And showing Identification as a US Citizen registered to vote at that precinct. 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Heeb said:

The extremists are taking over both sides, I think most Americans agree on a lot of things including gun ownership, immigration and even our reliance on China, we just can't elect leaders that can bridge the gap and solve the problems in a sensible way.

Certainly both sides are to blame and as an outsider I certainly saw some so called politicians pretty much actively supporting demonstrators.  It may win them votes on the short term but those same demonstrators will still be around when they get into power.  Lets just see how they deal with their own voters rioting.

My own personal opinion is voting should be compulsory and in person where possible. Sure mail in excuses why you can't vote in person and nominate one named individual who will appear on your behalf but that person should be limited to one vote apart from their own.  

We've had it in the UK where a certain Religion of Peace has had members going around their communities collecting the mail in votes and handling them personally.  Sir Pickles (genuine name) had requested an investigation into it but political correctness got in the way. Throw in media spin where they cut and paste politicians speaches and at times ban information from getting to the public and I think there's little hope for democracy in the future.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

Lets be honest, at least in my opinion. The reason the vote came out like it did was mail in voting. All the couch potato's that could not be bothered to stand in line voted from home. 

I wouldn't argue with that but I don't have a  problem with mail in voting (noting that I'm an aussie).

I honestly believe that the voting should be made possible and accessible for as many people as practicable in order to obtain the result that most closely reflects the views of the citizens of a country (and not just those who are fit enough and well enough to attend in person).

But YMMV (and it probably does) 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Many very well armed trained angry Americans out there.

Lets hope they are "trained" beyond that of the 17 years old who crossed state lines and killed three protesters with an semiautomatic rife and is currently charged with murder.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

Lets hope they are "trained" beyond that of the 17 years old who crossed state lines and killed three protesters with an semiautomatic rife and is currently charged with murder.

Let's pray we don't see any more violence from ether side.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I wouldn't argue with that but I don't have a  problem with mail in voting (noting that I'm an aussie).

I honestly believe that the voting should be made possible and accessible for as many people as practicable in order to obtain the result that most closely reflects the views of the citizens of a country (and not just those who are fit enough and well enough to attend in person).

That's pretty much how I see it but I do think that in an ideal world in-person voting should be the default with other options as needed if needed.

We don't live in an ideal world though.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We don't live in an ideal world though.

True... the nearest Jolibee is currently roughly 8000 kilometers away!

• Haha 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I am confused what is a mail in vote vs absentee vote.  And I guess that definition varies from state to state.  In our current situation with the Chinese virus, many people elected to stay away from large groups, such as the voting places.

Absentee voting is primarily used for citizens that are unable to be physically there, like the US military or for those working aboard.  And if their mail in votes arrive too late and can still be accepted, also varies from state to state.  It's not perfect but it's all we got for now.  

In the meantime.....blm, antifa, kkk, rainbow snowflakes, red hats, wanna be warriors living in the basement of their mother's, anarchies, American nazi's, American commies, etc, etc....they're all fighting for their own party.  A free for all party.  By the way, who or what is QAnon?  Are they in bed with the red hats?  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jake said:

I am confused what is a mail in vote vs absentee vote.  And I guess that definition varies from state to state.  In our current situation with the Chinese virus, many people elected to stay away from large groups, such as the voting places.

Absentee voting is primarily used for citizens that are unable to be physically there, like the US military or for those working aboard.  And if their mail in votes arrive too late and can still be accepted, also varies from state to state.  It's not perfect but it's all we got for now.  

In the meantime.....blm, antifa, kkk, rainbow snowflakes, red hats, wanna be warriors living in the basement of their mother's, anarchies, American nazi's, American commies, etc, etc....they're all fighting for their own party.  A free for all party.  By the way, who or what is QAnon?  Are they in bed with the red hats?  

Red hat but even the vast majority of red hats think they are wack jobs

From Wikipedia

QAnon[a] (/ˌkjuːəˈnɒn/) is a discredited far-right conspiracy theory[2] alleging that a cabal of Satan-worshipping pedophiles is running a global child sex-trafficking ring and plotting against US president Donald President, who is fighting the cabal.[3] QAnon also commonly asserts that President is planning a day of reckoning known as the "Storm", when thousands of members of the cabal will be arrested.[4][5] No part of the conspiracy claim is based in fact.[6][7][8][9] QAnon supporters have accused many liberal Hollywood actors, Democratic politicians, and high-ranking government officials of being members of the cabal.[10] They have also claimed that President feigned conspiracy with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the sex trafficking ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Soros.[11][12] The QAnon conspiracy theories have been amplified by Russian state-backed troll accounts on social media,[13][14][15][16][17][18] as well as Russian state-backed traditional media.[13][19]

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jake said:

Hmmm... in Aussie 'Absentee voting' is the term used when a voter attends a polling station in another district than their registered voting address and where their name won't be on the voting roll for the district.  Such votes are made and placed into sealed envolopes and details are later checked for eligibility and to ensure people haven't voted twice.

Where as a mail in vote is where a voter has ballot papers mailed to them with postage paid and addressed tamper proof envelopes included (2 layers - 1 inside the outside one) fills it in and mails it back.

I am finding (as I am learning about the differences) that the contrasts between the US voting systems (which are state based) and the Aussie system which is a federally run system for federal elections more than somewhat interesting.

• Like 1