Amazing Filipinos!

Shady
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

this topic would help remind us that no world society is condemned to mediocrity in its entirety, and forever.

I wouldn't post any of the billionaire clans, I respect their business game but let's not forget this is an oligarchy run by a few of those families.

But I would say the PH is far from mediocre. We all know Manny Pacman is one of the greatest, but Efren Reyes is the greatest of all time:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gandang Smile said:

These are the Fil-Chinese of yesteryear. Not sure if the current generation is up to these kinds of work standards.

If you have a Filipino with good work ethics and the business characteristics of the Chinese you have a formidable combination. 

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

My wife's auntie's next-door neighbour is a long-term employee of Henry Sy. He is a chemical engineer and has been in charge for one of the first and biggest shoe factories owned by SM (SM originally stood for ShoeMart). Notable he married Henry Sy's personal secretary of many decades.

I met them on a few occasions, they're a lovely couple in their 70s. He is still working up to now. He said he had to wake up at 4 AM since he was 15 and he continue to do so when he started to work for SM. That was the work ethics of the Fil-Chinese back in the day. Business, business, business.

Needless to say, he is very well off, I have been to his house and he has 2 huge rooms full of high-end hi-fi equipment and vynils, probably worth hundred of thousands of dollars. Rumour has it he gets 3-400K USD bonus every year from SM. Despite this, he still looks and sound every ounce the humble man who makes rubber shoes. His face skin is badly scarred and blemished, a sign of chemical poisoning due to decades of exposure.

These are the Fil-Chinese of yesteryear. Not sure if the current generation is up to these kinds of work standards.

Not sure if they are up to it???

Why don't you ask them??

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

If you have a Filipino with good work ethics and the business characteristics of the Chinese you have a formidable combination. 

The Filipino cultural qualities are often opposite, therefore complementary, to the mainland Chinese ones. Yes, Filipinos can be business-minded but, bar a few exceptions, they love spending idle time with their familiies, vacationing and practicing sports. From what I have seen, traditional Chinese tend to be a lot driven by business and take pride in spending 100% of their awake time tendering their businesses and teaching their kids to do the same.

My ex-wife is from Medellin, Colombia. She told me some of the earliest settlers of Medellin were Jewish families who had been persecuted or mistreated in Spain. In the new world, they were free to grow their farming and trading businesses the way they wanted. She said the backbone of Medellin as the industrial powerhouse of Colombia comes from these Jewish families.

I think a similar historical role in the Philippines was played by Chinese and Basque (Ayala, Aboitiz, etc.) families.

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, TerryP said:

Not sure if they are up to it???

Why don't you ask them??

The topic of what their kids do never came up. All I know is that only one daughter is living in the Philippines, the others are all living in the US.

The "not sure" comes from the fact that some of the youngest generations of Fil-Chinese may be great leaders, Harvard-educated managers who are at the helm of their family empires, but probably didn't have to put all the elbow grease and make the sacrifices their parents made. Sounds quite obvious to me.

Terry P
Posted
Posted

The topic of what their kids do never came up. All I know is that only one daughter is living in the Philippines, the others are all living in the US.

The "not sure" comes from the fact that some of the youngest generations of Fil-Chinese may be great leaders, Harvard-educated managers who are at the helm of their family empires, but probably didn't have to put all the elbow grease and make the sacrifices their parents made. Sounds quite obvious to me.

" Not sure if the current generation is up to this kind of standards"

Ask them you might be surprised by the answer

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, TerryP said:

" Not sure if the current generation is up to this kind of standards"

Ask them you might be surprised by the answer

They're not, mostly. Why would their millionaire/billionaire dads want their kids to have the same hard life they had? Many of this Fil-Chinese royalty end up studying abroad and come back home with a bunch of new ideas. That's how it should be.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Terry P
Posted
Posted

They're not, mostly. Why would their millionaire/billionaire dads want their kids to have the same hard life they had? Many of this Fil-Chinese royalty end up studying abroad.

Every parent wants their children to have a better life than them.

The point of the priveliged children not being able to rise from poverty is moot they are never going to face the situation so why doubt they could better themselves if they were

I must admit I was thrown by the initial statement because throughout your previous posts it has been the inadequacy of the lower classes you emphasised I hadn't realised you'd transferred to the priveliged

My apologies

• Thanks 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Every parent wants their children to have a better life than them.

The point of the priveliged children not being able to rise from poverty is moot they are never going to face the situation so why doubt they could better themselves if they were

I must admit I was thrown by the initial statement because throughout your previous posts it has been the inadequacy of the lower classes you emphasised I hadn't realised you'd transferred to the priveliged

My apologies

Well, in a way these kids are groomed to become the best possible leaders of their family empires. The Sys, the Tans, the Gokongweis, the Caktiongs, they all know times are different now than post-WW2 world. The edge now is to be able to get the best possible international education and bring back the goods.

Pio, my wife's auntie's neighbour said SM is notorious to have an army of contractualised (temporary) workers who are paid minimum wages and no perks. Yet, few know that the Sy family also recruits some of Asia's top executives to fill the strategic positions in their conglomerate, and pays them millions of dollars a year to stay.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Well, in a way these kids are groomed to become the best possible leaders of their family empires. The Sys, the Tans, the Gokongweis, the Caktiongs, they all know times are different now than post-WW2 world. The edge now is to be able to get the best possible international education and bring back the goods.

Pio, my wife's auntie's neighbour said SM is notorious to have an army of contractualised (temporary) workers who are paid minimum wages and no perks. Yet, few know that the Sy family also recruits some of Asia's top executives to fill the strategic positions in their conglomerate, and pays them millions of dollars a year to stay.

Handy having an auntie of your wife living in the same street as a senior employee of a well heeled family

You really have the inside track there gangang 👍👍