Philippines education standards today

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

HK, understand your choice and for sure you are not the only one thinking that way. Your son has options for quality schooling inside Philippines and I hope you live reasonably close to one. As a young adult he may choose to move back to UK or not. 

You've hit the nail on the head with that - my plan is to let him get his education here and facilitate a move to the UK (or elsewhere) when he's ready (if he wants to).

The best of both worlds? Not quite but a workable solution.  

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It's an underlying dillema for me - I simply don't want to return to the UK and sending our son there alone isn't an option (too expensive) so we stay here.  I think the standard of education my son is getting here is comparable but the career opportunities are better back home - again, in my opinion.

All down to location, location, location.  Iloilo rated reasonably high by Filipino standards for technical training if your youngster is that way inclined.  Cebu is also highly rated as are some of the rural schools in the area.  Puerto Galera is way down the league in my experience.  My partner at the time's daughter moved from a Cebu public school to what was rated the best of a bad bunch private school.  She was well ahead of everyone, since moving back to another private school near Moalboal she is in maybe 5th in her class and she says the work is so much harder. 

A bit of topical news. The University of the East (UE) Manila on Tuesday announced that it will be closing down its Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) program at the end of school year 2020-2021. Among the reasons cited by the UE administration are the passing rate in ECE boards for the last 10 years consistently yielding a percentage below national passing rate.  This mirrored the research I did when looking at courses for my partner to finish her degree, some of the Universities had shocking pass rates. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

All down to location, location, location.  Iloilo rated reasonably high by Filipino standards for technical training if your youngster is that way inclined.  Cebu is also highly rated as are some of the rural schools in the area.  Puerto Galera is way down the league in my experience.  My partner at the time's daughter moved from a Cebu public school to what was rated the best of a bad bunch private school.  She was well ahead of everyone, since moving back to another private school near Moalboal she is in maybe 5th in her class and she says the work is so much harder. 

A bit of topical news. The University of the East (UE) Manila on Tuesday announced that it will be closing down its Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) program at the end of school year 2020-2021. Among the reasons cited by the UE administration are the passing rate in ECE boards for the last 10 years consistently yielding a percentage below national passing rate.  This mirrored the research I did when looking at courses for my partner to finish her degree, some of the Universities had shocking pass rates. 

Agree - location, location, location is important everywhere, Snowy, but here it's critical.  

I got lucky in terms of location - like most I simply came to my wife's place which happens to be OK'ish in terms of most things.  Education is of a similar standard to that which I got back in Dundee - make of that what you will! 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Education is of a similar standard to that which I got back in Dundee - make of that what you will! 

You have my commiserations. :hystery:

• Haha 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not sure, but headline Corporate Tax rate in the UK is 19%, in Singapore it's 17%.  Not so significantly different so may be other considerations.

Give me the 2% if it's going spare 😉😉

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Give me the 2% if it's going spare 😉😉

Fair point - 2% of $1.5B would help me get by!  That said, there are lower tax regimens than Singapore.  

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Fair point - 2% of $1.5B would help me get by!  That said, there are lower tax regimens than Singapore.  

Philippines for one I presume. 

Setting up an R&D facility and already having a sizeable manufacturing plant

Who knows other things might be in the mix

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, TerryP said:

Philippines for one I presume. 

Setting up an R&D facility and already having a sizeable manufacturing plant

Who knows other things might be in the mix

Actually no - Philippines is 20%.

He could have chosen Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Ireland amongst others if it was just about tax.  I'd imagine Singapore was a better choice geographically amongst other things - the tax rate there is meh.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Actually no - Philippines is 20%.

He could have chosen Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Ireland amongst others if it was just about tax.  I'd imagine Singapore was a better choice geographically amongst other things - the tax rate there is meh.

An education indeed HK I haven't looked into tax rates in the Philippines

In that case apart from cheap labour what possible reasons would Dyson have for expanding into the Philippines considering its been said that most of the R&D positions will be sourced from abroad

I can't see foreigners relocating for 10% of their normal salary

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, TerryP said:

An education indeed HK I haven't looked into tax rates in the Philippines

In that case apart from cheap labour what possible reasons would Dyson have for expanding into the Philippines considering its been said that most of the R&D positions will be sourced from abroad

I can't see foreigners relocating for 10% of their normal salary

Yep, I was a little surprised at the relatively high tax rates here, including personal, corporate and sales. 

Reasons to come here - cheap labour to an extent; government subsidies; the ease at which the tax burden can be reduced for large companies; relatively inexpensive land and buildings (location dependant) and so on.   The place hasn't been a magnet for foreign investment until now so who knows what has attracted Dyson.  Duterte has stated many times he wants to make it easier for foreign companies to set up here - maybe this is bearing fruit now?

Foreigners from highly developed places won't relocate here for significantly lower salaries - there are few selling points for foreigners living here (let's not get into that though) so one can only assume they are coming from other places where salaries are also  relatively low.  China, India, Thailand, Latin America and so on.

Who knows? 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked and unlocked this topic