Overstayers and undocumented Tourists caught out

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

With Reporting time on us & BI playing games in some Offices over Extensions ( including the 3 year rule) I sit and wonder how many Expats and Tourists will be caught out this year? They never seem to know how many Foreigners are here at any one time but to me, this is the time that BI could/should catch the naughties :89:  BI have made it clear they will be Hard But................ I wonder :morning1: 

• Hmm thinking 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

With Reporting time on us & BI playing games in some Offices over Extensions ( including the 3 year rule) I sit and wonder how many Expats and Tourists will be caught out this year? They never seem to know how many Foreigners are here at any one time but to me, this is the time that BI could/should catch the naughties :89:  BI have made it clear they will be Hard But................ I wonder :morning1: 

Is there any of us westerners getting clobbered yet. Whether it be through deliberate or unintentional overstaying

Seems they are more interested in grabbing illegal Chinese

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Is there any of us westerners getting clobbered yet. Whether it be through deliberate or unintentional overstaying

Seems they are more interested in grabbing illegal Chinese

That is what I am getting at, they can catch the Asians quite easily but the Westerners are more tuned up to evade the Radar until we get a situation like we have at present & then we will read about those that have raised their head in talking too loud at times without thinking :whistling: I know 2 in particular here in Dumaguete that are facing a dilemma over this 3 year issue,  :shock_40_anim_gif:

Terry P
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

That is what I am getting at, they can catch the Asians quite easily but the Westerners are more tuned up to evade the Radar until we get a situation like we have at present & then we will read about those that have raised their head in talking too loud at times without thinking :whistling: I know 2 in particular here in Dumaguete that are facing a dilemma over this 3 year issue,  :shock_40_anim_gif:

Unprecedented times Jack. Not that there's much of a rulebook to follow consistently in normal times. 

I can imagine their dilemma. Probably nothing much to indicate the consequences whether they come forward or not

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am not sure about the Manila immigration offices but I have a friend who visited the upstairs offices of the Davao immigration office and saw a corridor with at least 5 cells, each containing two or three overstayers. He said he even got to talk to a couple of them. They looked in good health, in fact they had just finished to eat a Foodpanda-ordered meal, and the cell doors were open, showing both the laid-back-ness of the Immigration Officers and the climate of trust going on.

The overstayers he talked to said they had spent "from 6 months to close to a year" without proper Visa papers. Now, unlike you've been kidnapped by the Moros, I don't think that would qualify as non-intentional.

When in Davao, I overstayed my Visa by a full month on a couple of occasions and nothing happened, apart from having to pay a penalty.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, TerryP said:

Unprecedented times Jack. Not that there's much of a rulebook to follow consistently in normal times. 

I can imagine their dilemma. Probably nothing much to indicate the consequences whether they come forward or not

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg It usually comes out n the Wash, we have to remember that some of them will want to leave at some time thet the S...t will hit the Fan when they go for an ECC, then we have the estranged Marriages/relationships I understand that there is a reward for information  about overstaying Foreigners 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

When in Davao, I overstayed my Visa by a full month on a couple of occasions and nothing happened, apart from having to pay a penalty.

Things may be Different now, here in Dumaguete it is costing 25.000+ peso to have a 6 month extension over the 3 years stay. Just as a matter of Interest, are you near or at your 3 year time? not that I am particularly interested but more fuel to the Fire so to speak Odd really, I have never heard of any BI Office having cells, they are normally take to a Police Station. awaiting a Court appearance

Terry P
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Things may be Different now, here in Dumaguete it is costing 25.000+ peso to have a 6 month extension over the 3 years stay. Just as a matter of Interest, are you near or at your 3 year time? not that I am particularly interested but more fuel to the Fire so to speak Odd really, I have never heard of any BI Office having cells, they are normally take to a Police Station. awaiting a Court appearance

25000 peso for a 6 month extension

Calculating up that's roughly double the cost of 3 two month extensions 

Perhaps BI are happy just to make a few bob extra then on your way

Some Philippines form of amnesty just "gimme your money"

• I'm Confused 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, TerryP said:

25000 peso for a 6 month extension

Calculating up that's roughly double the cost of 3 two month extensions 

Perhaps BI are happy just to make a few bob extra then on your way

Some Philippines form of amnesty just "gimme your money"

Well as far as I can make out that is not including the actual extension, I am sure that any of those that have to have done it may ( or maynot) chip in and say what was the procedure and cost, For me, I am so pleased I chose the way i went for my 13a, Unfortunately we do have members that can't go that way for one reason or another but now find Life a Bitch :whatever:

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Things may be Different now, here in Dumaguete it is costing 25.000+ peso to have a 6 month extension over the 3 years stay. 

Not necessarily.  If you are one of the lucky few to receive a 6 month extension after your 3 years has expired then Yes you will pay your 6 months Visa fees PLUS the 25,000 Peso fine/contribution that you referred to.   However, according to the BI Officers here in Duma most requests are normally given just 2 months extra and in many cases just 30 days to get out of the country, for this pleasure you will also pay the Visa fees for the time you have been awarded PLUS the25,000 Peso fine/contribution as well.  Ouch, that works out to be expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1