Overstayers and undocumented Tourists caught out

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Things may be Different now, here in Dumaguete it is costing 25.000+ peso to have a 6 month extension over the 3 years stay. Just as a matter of Interest, are you near or at your 3 year time? not that I am particularly interested but more fuel to the Fire so to speak Odd really, I have never heard of any BI Office having cells, they are normally take to a Police Station. awaiting a Court appearance

My situation is a bit different because I had a resident visa because of my business and it expired in mid 2018. Then I downgraded to tourist visas and I haven't done 3 years yet. Hopefully by March/April I will have a 13a, which is another resident visa. Then I'll do the 1-year renewal ritual like many of you guys.

Yes, I think all of those people were awaiting trial, but you know how slow things can be in the Philippines. I wasn't there, I can only relate what my friend said. According to him they looked like the kind of foreigners who just entered the Philippines and had no money and more happy-go-lucky attitude than you can afford to have, even for the Philippines.

graham59
Posted
Posted

I'll keep paying as long as I can keep staying.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

Not necessarily.  If you are one of the lucky few to receive a 6 month extension after your 3 years has expired then Yes you will pay your 6 months Visa fees PLUS the 25,000 Peso fine/contribution that you referred to.   However, according to the BI Officers here in Duma most requests are normally given just 2 months extra and in many cases just 30 days to get out of the country, for this pleasure you will also pay the Visa fees for the time you have been awarded PLUS the25,000 Peso fine/contribution as well.  Ouch, that works out to be expensive.

Putting the financial cost aside Eddie there appears to be a bigger problem for the folk caught up in this. 

I assume many will no longer have a permanent base outside of Phils. On from that their preference would be to stay in the Philippines. Do they have the option to extend their visa further and stay or are BI issuing extensions just for the period until they are able to find a flight out, if they can find a flight out

Then there's the whole new issue of getting back in

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

My friend is about to find out what happens and with his run of luck lately I wouldn't hold out much hope for him.  He used to work offshore on various contracts and got screwed over a few times.  Did 3 months for a company and came back to the Philippines on a break and they never paid him.  He was out of work for about 8 months and used his savings up and some I gave him before going back to the same company with the promise of being paid what he was owed.  Given a token amount and worked another 3 months before coming back and then Covid hit.  Unable to get back offshore the company again screwed him. He's now ten months overdue on his visas, picked a good job up with a reputable company and has to fly out in two weeks. No choice but to go to immigration now and see what the consequences are. 

• Sad 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

My friend is about to find out what happens and with his run of luck lately I wouldn't hold out much hope for him.  He used to work offshore on various contracts and got screwed over a few times.  Did 3 months for a company and came back to the Philippines on a break and they never paid him.  He was out of work for about 8 months and used his savings up and some I gave him before going back to the same company with the promise of being paid what he was owed.  Given a token amount and worked another 3 months before coming back and then Covid hit.  Unable to get back offshore the company again screwed him. He's now ten months overdue on his visas, picked a good job up with a reputable company and has to fly out in two weeks. No choice but to go to immigration now and see what the consequences are. 

That's a horror story if I ever heard one snowy

Good luck to your friend I hope he gets it sorted

That one really will be an acid test for many others

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

What I at muse over is a situation that may have already or is going to happen.

Aussie and also NZ are not allowing citizens in without a confirmed booking for a quarantine hotel. Its my understanding that airlines must have confirmation of this before boarding. NZ for sure is fully booked until late March, there has been advice given to this effect.

So if one is a tourist, his 3 years is up he is unable to depart at this time, at least to NZ.  Guess one must try to find another country that will accept him.....Any thoughts here? 

• Hmm thinking 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, RBM said:

Aussie and also NZ are not allowing citizens in without a confirmed booking for a quarantine hotel. Its my understanding that airlines must have confirmation of this before boarding. NZ for sure is fully booked until late March, there has been advice given to this effect.

So if one is a tourist, his 3 years is up he is unable to depart at this time, at least to NZ.  Guess one must try to find another country that will accept him.....Any thoughts here? 

Probably another one RBM until someone has been in that situation who knows

Looks like a job for the embassy/consulate to sort out if the s..t hits. Tourist gets booted out for visa expiry home nation won't accept him home.

Again strange times who knows

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

They can put them up in the Taguig Hilton until the country opens up again. Free bed and breakfast and plenty of room mates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_of_Immigration_Bicutan_Detention_Center

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

He has overstayed under a year it should be ok. My friend did overstay nearly 2 years he just had to pay a fine no blacklisting. But times might have changed.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Normally going to another country wouldn't be impossible for Aussies and Kiwis even now (assuming the person has funds available).

An aussie or kiwi passport holder can fly into the UK (and self isolate for a period) then stay up to 6 months, then they can fly to the USA where they can stay up to 3 months then return to the UK (rinse and repeat if necessary but I doubt it would be).

During one of those periods a spot on the entry list to Aussie (or NZ) will come up (but it might be a bit of a wait and the tickets into Aussie and NZ aren't cheap right now).

This is not going to be cheap but it is possible.

Edited by GeoffH