Corruption investigation.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm sitting here having a good laugh to myself over some people that were accused of corruption denying further involvement in more corruption.

The basics of it was there was a big clear out of corrupt officials in Malay mainly to do with land deals etc on Boracay.  They received a slapped wrist and were sent on their way to spend their ill gotten gains. 

Fast forward a year and a bit 26 of the replacements are being investigated for Graft with plenty of evidence and then finally another beauty has raised it's head. This is the one that had me laughing at the brass neck of the accused.

In December 2019 floating pontoons appeared on the island of Boracay and all the water sports businesses were ordered to use them for collection and drop off of passengers.  They were charging each passenger 30 peso for it's use and officials in uniform were set up on the beach collecting the money.  I personally passed them a few times.  The set up was illegal and I can remember a lot of businesses complaining about it on social media. It turns out an investigatative journalist looked into it and the money wasn't being accounted for.  The stand in Mayor and a few officials have been ordered to account for themselves by an ombudsman and replied with the following statement :  “no collections were made” and that the accusation is just a product of “motherhood statements which are false and without factual and legal basis.”

The only thing the accused has to prove it took place was an executive order by the acting Mayor, thousands of witnesses, photographic evidence of the money being collected, receipts and lots of pissed off watrer sports businesses who were made to collect the money also.  How they'll be found guilty I don't know. :89: 

corruption.jpg

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This reminds me a bit of something that happened in Yakima, Washington.  This was quite a while back, maybe 20 years or so and was reported in the local newspaper.  A man came forward and claimed that city bidding for contracts to buy city owned houses (delinquent taxes, abandoned property, etc) was rigged.  This guy was a contractor and he would buy these houses, fix them up, and rent them out.  He said the that the person responsible for awarding the bids had been paid to share what was the lowest bid being submitted on the most recent house.  How did he know this?  He admitted that he himself had bribed the official on multiple occasions prior and this time he paid the bribe, but the award went to another person who had also paid off the guy.  He was almost laughed out of town when that article hit. :hystery:

• Haha 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

A nearby Barangay Kapitan and his secretary were said by Duterte to be corrupt etc and told they were Dismissed as seen on TV in a recent speech to the nation! The Barangay Kapitan is still at work using his Government Vehicle  .

his younger sister stiil works in the Barangay office as a co-ordninator , and his mother is still taken shopping in one of the Barangay vans ! Its as though he and his family run the Barangay and what the President says means nothing !

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

On a higher level, there was a lot of noise about corruption within the Phill health system late last year, appears to have dried up, heard nothing recently.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

On a higher level, there was a lot of noise about corruption within the Phill health system late last year, appears to have dried up, heard nothing recently.

It's ongoing - cases have been filed against the ringleaders.  There was a report online last week naming a dozen or so of them.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
On 1/17/2021 at 6:41 PM, Mike J said:

This reminds me a bit of something that happened in Yakima, Washington.  This was quite a while back, maybe 20 years or so and was reported in the local newspaper.  A man came forward and claimed that city bidding for contracts to buy city owned houses (delinquent taxes, abandoned property, etc) was rigged.  This guy was a contractor and he would buy these houses, fix them up, and rent them out.  He said the that the person responsible for awarding the bids had been paid to share what was the lowest bid being submitted on the most recent house.  How did he know this?  He admitted that he himself had bribed the official on multiple occasions prior and this time he paid the bribe, but the award went to another person who had also paid off the guy.  He was almost laughed out of town when that article hit. :hystery:

Not just in the Philippines.

Such corruption happens in the U.K. too . My City Councillor friend has inside knowledge.  :wink:

• Like 2