Putting the covid deaths in perspective

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

In reality they may have died with Covid but not from Covid, there's a huge difference there. 

It depends how big a part Covid played i.e. if someone who had Covid died in a car accident then Covid is obviously an irrelevance - in other cases it will have been much more of a contributing factor and relevant.  Also, don't forget that in the UK at least, the cut off point is 28 days after a positive test so anyone who dies more than 28 days after the test isn't included in the numbers.  Therefore, the number may be a good bit higher.

Ultimately, we are in the midst of a pandemic which is killing a vast number of people around us  - I don't think there has been any overreaction to dealing with it.  In fact, quite the opposite in the case of the UK IMHO.

• Like 3

Terry P
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Joey G said:

Guessing this doesn't help the situation... appears smoking is surpassing WWII annually.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm

Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death.

• Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than 7 million deaths per year.2 If the pattern of smoking all over the globe doesn’t change, more than 8 million people a year will die from diseases related to tobacco use by 2030.3
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.1
  • On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.4
  • If smoking continues at the current rate among U.S. youth, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 years of age are expected to die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. This represents about one in every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger who are alive today.1

Part of this probably is relevant Joey

41000 deaths every day due to passive smoking

Be interesting to find out how many deaths are caused by blasé attitudes towards restrictions and vaccine denial

• Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

Politically incorrect question here.

Due to the high quality of medical care in the US (and the UK and other 1st world countries,,,oops wrong term,,,economically advanced countries) How many of those 400k plus people would have been alive in the Philippines (and other emerging nations) to contract covid?

Since life expectancy in the Philippines is much lower I assume most of the 400k will be already dead for any other reasons before catching the covid. If there is any consolation, at their deathbed they will utter their final words "Thanks God it is not covid that I am dying from"....

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Since life expectancy in the Philippines is much lower I assume most of the 400k will be already dead for any other reasons before catching the covid. If there is any consolation, at their deathbed they will utter their final words "Thanks God it is not covid that I am dying from"....

Since the Philippines introduced Draconian rules which have been fairly consistent throughout this pandemic although not as favourable as most of the rest of Asia the figures indicate they have faired a lot better than many Western nations

Maybe unpopular with many the restrictions are the probably the main factor in keeping infections down

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, TerryP said:

Since the Philippines introduced Draconian rules which have been fairly consistent throughout this pandemic although not as favourable as most of the rest of Asia the figures indicate they have faired a lot better than many Western nations

Maybe unpopular with many the restrictions are the probably the main factor in keeping infections down

Very much dependent on location, Terry - where I am we have had only loose restrictions since last May, certainly nothing Draconian when compared to the UK for example.  I don't doubt that the restrictions work where they are followed - I don't think there are many examples of countries that have done a great job without imposing restrictions. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, TerryP said:

Hmmm... That's twice recently that I agree with one of your comments...

Personally, I believe that the rather "draconian" approach to dealing with the virus (at least here in Davao) seems to be somewhat working. Yeah...there are the yahoos who go out and drink and party and wander around maskless... But the infection rate seems to be rather low compared to in USA and some other countries....

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

But the infection rate seems to be rather low compared to in USA and some other countries....

2nd worse in Asia though :whistling:

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

Very much dependent on location, Terry - where I am we have had only loose restrictions since last May, certainly nothing Draconian when compared to the UK for example.  I don't doubt that the restrictions work where they are followed - I don't think there are many examples of countries that have done a great job without imposing restrictions. 

Good luck with the loose restrictions HK

1610 deaths here today and 37000 new infections. I honestly hope nothing like this ever reaches the Philippines. I've got people there I love

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, TerryP said:

Good luck with the loose restrictions HK

1610 deaths here today and 37000 new infections. I honestly hope nothing like this ever reaches the Philippines. I've got people there I love

I hear you Terry.

My concern is that the loose restrictions may be more due to the need to keep the economy surviving rather than the success in managing the outbreak.  As I said in the post above, the Philippines is ranked 2nd worst in Asia so hardly an indication of a very successful strategy.  

The UK position, if replicated here, would be catastrophic.  

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic