Putting the covid deaths in perspective

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As I said in the post above, the Philippines is ranked 2nd worst in Asia so hardly an indication of a very successful strategy.  

Perhaps I am missing the point here? Not the first time, nor the last...guaranteed!

However, even if Philippines is in 2nd place regarding infections and/or deaths, it is still way above USA, Europe and many other countries. So I am okay with the sometimes referred to as "Draconian" restrictions... Sure, not everyone complies, but enough seem to do so and that appears to be keeping infection spread and rates at a relatively low level compared to the 
"first world" or whatever you wish to refer to them as... I guess I would rather be here in Davao than in Seattle or New York City or San Francisco right now...

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Perhaps I am missing the point here? Not the first time, nor the last...guaranteed!

However, even if Philippines is in 2nd place regarding infections and/or deaths, it is still way above USA, Europe and many other countries. So I am okay with the sometimes referred to as "Draconian" restrictions... Sure, not everyone complies, but enough seem to do so and that appears to be keeping infection spread and rates at a relatively low level compared to the 
"first world" or whatever you wish to refer to them as... I guess I would rather be here in Davao than in Seattle or New York City or San Francisco right now...

Tom, first of all I am not opposed to the measures here, and have said so repeatedly.  I don't think they are Draconian either. 

But, we are the 2nd worst in Asia.  In life, we can always find someone worse off which makes us look better but does that make us good? I guess it all depends on who you went to compare with but perhaps we have more in common with the rest of Asia then the West in terms of what may influence the spread of the virus?  

I honestly take little or  no comfort from the fact my place is so much better than London, or Glasgow or Manchester or wherever, that won't stop me getting the virus here and given our ranking in Asia there are many better places to be than here.

Again, I'm not beating anyone over the head with a stick and I am totally OK with what is being done here (mainly because neither me nor mine has been affected directly) but...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Again, I'm not beating anyone over the head with a stick and I am totally OK with what is being done here (mainly because neither me nor mine has been affected directly) but...

Glad you agree with me, HK...:smile:

• Haha 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I've been studying all the pertinent graphs, waiting for the flat or plateau to appear.  However, the number of deaths directly related to the China virus is steadily rising.  It's approaching half a million US deaths this FEB 2021.   

Another one I monitor is the political cluster pucks that is perpetuated by hate and divisiveness.  Political turmoil is just as bad for any nation.  

And finally, the China Sea and Persian Gulf hotspots.  It's getting crowded with too many fingers on the trigger.  Accidents do happen when everyone is on the edge.   

You put all these together....is that the future of our grand children?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Jake said:

I've been studying all the pertinent graphs, waiting for the flat or plateau to appear.  However, the number of deaths directly related to the China virus is steadily rising.  It's approaching half a million US deaths this FEB 2021.   

Another one I monitor is the political cluster pucks that is perpetuated by hate and divisiveness.  Political turmoil is just as bad for any nation.  

And finally, the China Sea and Persian Gulf hotspots.  It's getting crowded with too many fingers on the trigger.  Accidents do happen when everyone is on the edge.   

You put all these together....is that the future of our grand children?

Fortunately according to the latest data the population is still increasing.  Maybe with a change of leadership we can get back to invading countries and regime change to knock the population back a bit, :whistling:  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Fortunately according to the latest data the population is still increasing.  Maybe with a change of leadership we can get back to invading countries and regime change to knock the population back a bit, :whistling:  

Yeah.... I guess it is about time for another world war to cut back on the world population?

Or just let the covid infection/death rate spiral out of control for a while to whittle down the number of people around? Too bad that a war or infection does not effect from the top down instead of from the bottom up?

Meanwhile... I will put my feet up on the railing here, crack open another illegal beer, burp and fart and enjoy life while it lasts... L will do the same with me...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

.., burp and fart and enjoy life while it lasts... L will do the same with me...

From your previous posts I had her down as more of a lady, Tom!

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

From your previous posts I had her down as more of a lady, Tom!

She really is, HK... but she is learning bad habits from me... At least she is discreet...unlike me - an old fart!

And, actually, she does not drink much beer or any alcohol... She leaves that up to me...and is not always happy about that...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

She really is, HK... but she is learning bad habits from me... At least she is discreet...unlike me - an old fart!

And, actually, she does not drink much beer or any alcohol... She leaves that up to me...and is not always happy about that...

Mine is similar in that she will have the odd glass of wine and steal a few sips of my San Mig occasionally.  Luckily, she doesn't complain about my boozing - in fact she will ask what's wrong if I'm not having  a beer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I guess I would rather be here in Davao than in Seattle or New York City or San Francisco right now...

That is true for me even if there were no covid anywhere. :tongue:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic