Putting the covid deaths in perspective

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I read what's written in the global newspapers as well as those here and I listen to what's said. Now before I type anything else I am not a ''Covid denier'' and nor do I wish to suggest it can not be serious when caught.

However in a country where most people live cheek by jowl and many people, to be charitable, live in less than ideal sanitary conditions the numbers seem, to me at least, to be quite low. If we say the virus has been around for about a year then in that time it has infected half of one per cent of the population. In terms of deaths at circa 10,000 that's about one fifth of the number killed here every year by pneumonia and two thirds of those killed in road traffic accidents.

The recent uptick in cases is blamed on people going out more and ignoring the ''rules'' but I was expecting it. It's winter (or what passes for it here) so it's cooler, less sunny and more damp. The virus does not like heat, sunshine and dry conditions, easier propagation seems inevitable.

To my mind the amount of money spent (actual, lost, wasted however you wish to define it) does seem well in excess of the true damage done by the virus.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, DavidK said:

I read what's written in the global newspapers as well as those here and I listen to what's said. Now before I type anything else I am not a ''Covid denier'' and nor do I wish to suggest it can not be serious when caught.

However in a country where most people live cheek by jowl and many people, to be charitable, live in less than ideal sanitary conditions the numbers seem, to me at least, to be quite low. If we say the virus has been around for about a year then in that time it has infected half of one per cent of the population. In terms of deaths at circa 10,000 that's about one fifth of the number killed here every year by pneumonia and two thirds of those killed in road traffic accidents.

The recent uptick in cases is blamed on people going out more and ignoring the ''rules'' but I was expecting it. It's winter (or what passes for it here) so it's cooler, less sunny and more damp. The virus does not like heat, sunshine and dry conditions, easier propagation seems inevitable.

To my mind the amount of money spent (actual, lost, wasted however you wish to define it) does seem well in excess of the true damage done by the virus.

No disrespect, but 2.2m may disagree with that last para. if they could.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, DavidK said:

I get your point(s).

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, David. But I would just like to make the comment, "What would the damage done be, if the money was not spent and people were not so restricted and careful?"

Especially consider my thought in light of the latest reports of more contagious variants and some "possibly" being more serious or deadly? And I suspect this situation is not going to change any time soon.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DavidK said:

Purely from a number aspect -

The estimate of the cost to the economy per death is approx. $71,000.  So, based on 2.2m deaths we are at $160 billion give or take.  

Just a number and doesn't in any way quantify what this virus has cost us but at least it's something to look at.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

No disrespect, but 2.2m may disagree with that last para. if they could.  

People die all the time. How many less would die if the Philippine Govt spent a bit more on road safety and driver/motorbike rider tuition? Or if they gave free pneumonia vaccinations?

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I get your point(s).

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, David. But I would just like to make the comment, "What would the damage done be, if the money was not spent and people were not so restricted and careful?"

Especially consider my thought in light of the latest reports of more contagious variants and some "possibly" being more serious or deadly? And I suspect this situation is not going to change any time soon.

Answer - We don't know. There is no proof that locking people up actually saves lives, only the belief that it does something. It may slow down the rate of deaths (or it may not). It certainly doesn't stop the virus.

The virus has and will continue to evolve. It's what they do.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, DavidK said:

People die all the time. How many less would die if the Philippine Govt spent a bit more on road safety and driver/motorbike rider tuition? Or if they gave free pneumonia vaccinations?

That's not really relevant David - Covid would still have killed 10,550+ people with the things you mention getting done.

It's not like the government here has chosen to spend their money on Covid rather than those initiatives if that's what you're suggesting.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Answer - We don't know. There is no proof that locking people up actually saves lives, only the belief that it does something. It may slow down the rate of deaths (or it may not). It certainly doesn't stop the virus.

The virus has and will continue to evolve. It's what they do.

I'm not sure what proof you are looking for, but China, Germany and Spain in particular noted a fall in infections following their lockdowns. Numerous other studies have come to the same conclusion.

Personally, when common sense and logic suggest something, and then experts suggest the same thing, and further the numbers support it, then I tend to go with it.

Nobody ever said lockdowns stopped the virus though, the purpose is to slow the spread to allow resources to manage.

• Like 3

Terry P
Posted
Posted

That's the full set now I believe

Antivaxxer

Health pill popper

Pandemic denial

Definitely diverse on here

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted