Putting the covid deaths in perspective

Terry P
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

..and worse of all the Jocks!  

On the contrary Jocks are quite easy to train. Everyone should buy one. The aforementioned are much more challenging due to having been influenced by previous irresponsible handlers

• Haha 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

That's not really relevant David - Covid would still have killed 10,550+ people with the things you mention getting done.

It's not like the government here has chosen to spend their money on Covid rather than those initiatives if that's what you're suggesting.  

On the contrary I think it's very relevant as an example of deaths thought ''unimportant'' as compared to deaths from Covid. Of course the Covid deaths would still have occurred. As regards your second sentence that's exactly what the government here has chosen to do.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, DavidK said:

On the contrary I think it's very relevant as an example of deaths thought ''unimportant'' as compared to deaths from Covid. Of course the Covid deaths would still have occurred. As regards your second sentence that's exactly what the government here has chosen to do.

Motorcycle training courses while important in  reducing death and injury on the roads in the Philippines is not going to have any influence on reopening the country the economy and foreign tourism. Perhaps that puts covid deaths into perspective a lot more than pre-existing problems

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, DavidK said:

I read what's written in the global newspapers as well as those here and I listen to what's said. Now before I type anything else I am not a ''Covid denier'' and nor do I wish to suggest it can not be serious when caught.

However in a country where most people live cheek by jowl and many people, to be charitable, live in less than ideal sanitary conditions the numbers seem, to me at least, to be quite low. If we say the virus has been around for about a year then in that time it has infected half of one per cent of the population. In terms of deaths at circa 10,000 that's about one fifth of the number killed here every year by pneumonia and two thirds of those killed in road traffic accidents.

The recent uptick in cases is blamed on people going out more and ignoring the ''rules'' but I was expecting it. It's winter (or what passes for it here) so it's cooler, less sunny and more damp. The virus does not like heat, sunshine and dry conditions, easier propagation seems inevitable.

To my mind the amount of money spent (actual, lost, wasted however you wish to define it) does seem well in excess of the true damage done by the virus.

Perhaps you could explain the reason for the extraordinary high rates of infection in the warmer drier states in the USA. When that's complete how about Brazil

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

I read an interesting story, it said,,,,

STOP PUBLISHING NUMBERS - PUBLISH NAMES

Interesting

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DavidK said:

To my mind the amount of money spent (actual, lost, wasted however you wish to define it) does seem well in excess of the true damage done by the virus.

Instead of wrecking their economy while waiting for the elusive covid "vaccine", why they are not using a medicine, which is readily available under their nose, to help the 25,000 souls who are dying every year from tuberculosis?

"Tuberculosis is an airborne disease. About 1 million Filipinos have active TB disease. This is the third highest prevalence rate in the world, after South Africa and Lesotho. It is a highly curable disease. Yet, it is the number one killer among all infectious diseases. Every day more than 70 people lose their lives to TB in the Philippines needlessly."

https://www.who.int/philippines/news/commentaries/detail/it-s-time-to-end-tb-in-the-philippines

Edited by Explorer
  • Like 3

Terry P
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Instead of wrecking their economy while waiting for the elusive covid "vaccine", why they are not using a medicine, which is readily available under their nose, to help the 25,000 souls who are dying every year from tuberculosis?

"Tuberculosis is an airborne disease. About 1 million Filipinos have active TB disease. This is the third highest prevalence rate in the world, after South Africa and Lesotho. It is a highly curable disease. Yet, it is the number one killer among all infectious diseases. Every day more than 70 people lose their lives to TB in the Philippines needlessly."

https://www.who.int/philippines/news/commentaries/detail/it-s-time-to-end-tb-in-the-philippines

I am in agreement with you that the lack of drive to eradicate TB is unacceptable along with malaria and various other diseases that belong predominantly in underdeveloped countries. Add to that the slow rollout of treatment in development for cancers and heart disease in all society. There is a growing awareness of this worldwide. Who knows we may emerge from this pandemic with a different mindset towards treatment of these ailments. I certainly hope so

In the meantime we are in the middle of a global crisis that unfortunately makes the 70 people dying in the Philippines every day from TB  pale into insignificance. Another 1200 people died from covid here yesterday in the UK alone. Our hospitals are full to capacity with people requiring critical care suffering from covid. I won't even mention the cost to the economy and the rising unemployment because of covid. And we are just one country

To even think that the money spent on combating covid is wasted (David Ks comment) is at the very least laughable

The "elusive" covid vaccine is already in existence in many forms indeed novavax has been approved here today with the janssen vaccine up for approval as of today. Where you got the information from to make a statement about an elusive vaccine is beyond me. Unless you are referring to the Philippines governments shocking performance on procurement. In which case I presume you propose they now scrap a vaccination programme totally and concentrate on TB.

Whatever! The world is going to get this pandemic under control before addressing any other issues with any amount of commitment

Live with it!!!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, TerryP said:

today with the janssen vaccine up for approval as of today

Terry, I keep seeing on BBCc that Britain is jabbing lots and lots of folks. 

So I would like to know is that as just an average bloke living there, have you been contacted by your authorities as to when you will get it? Or have you gotten it yet? 

Just wondering if it is mass caos there and I expect it to be here when they ever do start lolol

Terry P
Posted
Posted
Just now, scott h said:

Terry, I keep seeing on BBCc that Britain is jabbing lots and lots of folks. 

So I would like to know is that as just an average bloke living there, have you been contacted by your authorities as to when you will get it? Or have you gotten it yet? 

Just wondering if it is mass caos there and I expect it to be here when they ever do start lolol

Vaccination programme is set out in priority groups according to  clinically vunerable health workers/carers and reducing age groups.

It's all done through health records. You are invited via your phone. Last resort by letter

They haven't got down to my age group yet but looking at media coverage and local (usual) antisocial media it's all very well organized and running smoothly.

Everything else to do with this pandemic here is a bunfight so I think we can assume it's going very well

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Vaccination programme is set out in priority groups according to  clinically vunerable health workers/carers and reducing age groups.

It's all done through health records. You are invited via your phone. Last resort by letter

They haven't got down to my age group yet but looking at media coverage and local (usual) antisocial media it's all very well organized and running smoothly.

Everything else to do with this pandemic here is a bunfight so I think we can assume it's going very well

Don't know how it's going to work there Scott but the politicians have taken a backseat on this one

The army are doing logistics and the NHS are doing the business on the front line.

That's the guys who know how to do it. Don't know if you will be allowed that luxury

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic