Putting the covid deaths in perspective

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, DavidK said:

People die all the time. How many less would die if the Philippine Govt spent a bit more on road safety and driver/motorbike rider tuition? Or if they gave free pneumonia vaccinations?

And let the virus run.....

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, DavidK said:

Answer - We don't know. There is no proof that locking people up actually saves lives, only the belief that it does something. It may slow down the rate of deaths (or it may not). It certainly doesn't stop the virus.

I guess I should have mentioned that my comment was really intended as a rhetorical question because - as you point out - nobody knows the answer...

But my feelings echo HK and some others (and, again, I have said this before in other topics) that for us, we prefer to take the precautions and hope others heed them also. The personal ones cost very little except for inconvenience.

I am not sure driver education here would work. Most motorcycle, taxi, bus and trike drivers - along with a lot of personal car drivers - ignore most traffic laws. Think again - Darwin Awards...:89:

Terry P
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, RBM said:

And let the virus run.....

Never heard of a pneumonia vaccination 🤔🤔🤔

Oh yeah!!

Cause and effect maybe that's a clue

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Never heard of a pneumonia vaccination 🤔🤔🤔

They exist, Terry. L and I got them in July or August. They are lifetime protection. Same reasoning for us - we feel better to do too much than not enough.

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

They exist, Terry. L and I got them in July or August. They are lifetime protection. Same reasoning for us - we feel better to do too much than not enough.

I stand corrected never heard of it

Didn't think pneumonia was a virus I thought it was the result of a virus

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, TerryP said:

I stand corrected never heard of it

Didn't think pneumonia was a virus I thought it was the result of a virus

I don't know what it protects against... pneumonia can be viral or bacterial if I remember correctly? Either way, if this can prevent or minimize the affliction, I am all for it!

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't know what it protects against... pneumonia can be viral or bacterial if I remember correctly? Either way, if this can prevent or minimize the affliction, I am all for it!

To try and retrieve my embarrassment I've looked. It's both. I assumed it was bacterial only

Even more embarrassing theres a vaccination for both.

You learn every day

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, TerryP said:

To try and retrieve my embarrassment I've looked. It's both. I assumed it was bacterial only

Even more embarrassing theres a vaccination for both.

You learn every day

Don't feel bad, Terry. I am always learning - one of the greatest joys of life for me! And it's easier now to learn because it's easier to forget and then I learn again...:smile:

I looked it up too and L and I got the pneumococcal vaccine - i.e. for bacterial infections - because they, apparently are more common than viral infections...at this time in history. But there are two versions - one protects against the 13 most common bacterial infections and the other against the 23(!) most common. I don't have my vaccine record handy so don't remember which one we got... I am assuming and hoping we got the 23 version. Either is supposed to be good for lifetime - especially for us senior citizens.

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Don't feel bad, Terry. I am always learning - one of the greatest joys of life for me! And it's easier now to learn because it's easier to forget and then I learn again...:smile:

I looked it up too and L and I got the pneumococcal vaccine - i.e. for bacterial infections - because they, apparently are more common than viral infections...at this time in history. But there are two versions - one protects against the 13 most common bacterial infections and the other against the 23(!) most common. I don't have my vaccine record handy so don't remember which one we got... I am assuming and hoping we got the 23 version. Either is supposed to be good for lifetime - especially for us senior citizens.

There are two Vaccines one for children and one for us crocks

Apparently different variants effect old and young

It still offers no protection against COVID 19 whichever you take

That's what I've read

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, TerryP said:

There are two Vaccines one for children and one for us crocks

Apparently different variants effect old and young