How do I get my new bank debit card sent here?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I received an email notice today that my USA bank will be mailing me my new bank debit card soon, since the old one expires the upcoming April. It will arrive at my US address, where one of my daughters picks up my mail.

The question is..... ( I have tried several SEARCH entries with no luck so far here on our forum / as well as checking on a few Youtube expat vlogs).....

1.  How can I have it safely sent here to me from the USA ?

2.  Since I seldom use it at an ATM except when my computer is down ( I usually do inexpensive on-line, bank to bank transfers from my US acct. to my asawa's BDO acct) its more of a back-up.  My 8 month old computer display screen failed (it took exactly 2 weeks for the replacement repair: under 1 year warranty still, so no charge at my local Oxord Computer Solutions store here) on Jan 2nd, and without a back up computer/tablet/smart phone I had to use high fee plastic to get cash as the easiest alternative.

Its better for me to use my bank debit card rather than another credit card, so I sure would like to have the new card here. 

I doubt that just having my daughter send me the new expiration date and back code would work..... maybe it would, but the card has both the old magnetic strip and the embedded chip, so I don't know if it would work since it has to be inserted and it will read as an expired card. 

Maybe it will be better if I just wait until I return to the States when possible to do so safely and easily, or buy a new tablet for the wife here (P 8K), as a back up for my on-line banking use.

I will Skype call the bank, perhaps, for advice in this matter, although I'd rather not since I doubt that they can clear the expired card for continued use. 

Like many others, I had expected to be in the States long before this bank card was due to expire, and not have this problem arise while here.  But, that's life.  

Its a petty problem with work arounds, but maybe someone has used a courier service, etc., and can give me a few tips re having my daughter send me the card.  If not, I'll either buy a tablet or use credit cards if in a pinch and pay the piper.

graham59
Posted
Posted

I was having the same 'problem about 3 months ago. (Courier companies apparently won't handle them...unless direct from your bank)

Anyway, my son had the card in the UK (where I'd asked the online bank to send it)....and the Mrs suggested sending it on to her friend there, who was about to send off a Balikbayan box to our village here in the Phils...

Okay, it would take a couple of months, but I was in no hurry.

Sooo....it arrived here yesterday. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh, as also did 4 Xbox games I'd bought cheaply off ebay UK, and had shipped here, again quite cheaply, by 'ShippingCart'.

They took longer than I'd expected (ordered December 20th, expected Jan 7th, delivered to my door here Jan 20th)... possibly due to XMas season and covid stuff, etc, but they are here, are in perfect condition, and it has saved a lot of money over buying here in the Phils. :thumbsup:

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Are you a military retiree? If you are and you're near Subic you can join the RAO (retired activities office) and get an FPO mail box, no problem sending credit cards since it's through military mail system.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Are you a military retiree? If you are and you're near Subic you can join the RAO (retired activities office) and get an FPO mail box, no problem sending credit cards since it's through military mail system.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and tip. I'm not a military retiree and not eligible.... however I was in the Alaska National Guard for awhile in 1969-70..... but while I was in basic at Ft. Bragg, they said my nearsightedness exceeded standards and gave me the option of an out...... being of sound mind, with a pregnant wife back home, I asked the Lt. Col. opthamalogist for the out, when he offered me the choice.  I lost the opportunity to be the Company's Armorer and go on to the AIT school, but things turned out OK. 

I doubt its of any useable value, but they did give me an ornate, honorable discharge certificate. 

• Like 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

If it's like mine from Navy Federal Credit Union it first has to be activated. That is usually done online or by phone. With the right information your daughter can do that. Once she does, you should be able to use it online easily... just need the card new number if there is one and the 3 digit security code. You should be able to reset your PIN online as well just ensure there's no misuse. At Navy Federal you also have the option to easily shut your card on and off online for security. I'm guessing most banks have this as well.

This solves everything except the ATM... you could always Moneygram yourself with it if you wanted cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

maybe someone has used a courier service, etc., and can give me a few tips re having my daughter send me the card.

DHL, Express Mail, FedEx.

One of my cards is still in the US and I've been using it over a year for internet purchases, just needed a photo of the front and back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

2.  Since I seldom use it at an ATM

It may be wise to have your daughter use it once before sending it to you.  I have problems with fraud alerts when the first use of my newly issued card is in the Philippines.

Cards can be read from inside a package when they are shipped, so after it is activated you will need an RFID card protector to put your card inside if shipping it via courier.  I would suggest that your daughter send a bunch of your mail at once, via courier, and include the envelope your card came in.  So long as it is covered by an RFID protector I doubt they will pick up on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I don't know which bank you are using but I am always getting my ATM and credit cards sent to my Philippines address directly from the bank, free of charge. I am just calling them telling that I am currently not available at my regular mailing address, giving them my new temporary address and they just cancel the card they sent to the US address and send me new card to the Philippines.

Edited by Explorer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I doubt its of any useable value, but they did give me an ornate, honorable discharge certificate. 

That DD-214 (discharge document) is worth its weight in gold.  

• Thanks 1