How do I get my new bank debit card sent here?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Shady said:

You finally figured out I'm only talking about banks in the US?

As for HSBC, what matters is the address you use to open the account, and, again, I'm talking about US HSBC accounts. I'm sure I could get my US HSBC cards sent to the PH like Snowy did, because we both have PH HSBC accounts linked to our main accounts.

No, you stated that clearly already (finally) but you then went on try to identify/clarify why HSBC were able to send his card overseas which is of no relevance to a discussion on US banks. As I say, trying to square the circle.  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, hk blues said:

As I say, trying to square the circle.  

The area of a circle is pi times the radius squared (A = π r²)

therefore a circle squared is (A = π r²)²

Just saying :whistling:

Edited by GeoffH
  • Hmm thinking 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The area of a circle is pi times the radius squared (A = π r²)

therefore a circle squared is (A = π r²)²

Just saying :whistling:

Not if you look at it from the side

• Love it 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, bigdaddyo said:

Chase bank sent me a new card here after some fraud activity was detected on the account.  As much as I appreciated their security to prevent any losses by me and them, getting the card here was scary for me.  They would only send the card by the U.S. Postal service.  I had no problem with that, it was once it arrived in the Philippines it would be handed to the Philippines postal service.   I told the customer service agent I would never receive the card and to please send it by Fed-Ex, UPS, or DHL.  My request was refused, I even offered to pay the shipping charges.  Got transferred to a supervisor and they said their system was not set up to use anyone but the USPS.  I told here I would probably be calling them to report fraud on the account if they sent it that way.  

So I guess not all Chase cards are created equal. I have Chase Sapphire Reserve card, the annual fee is 550$ and it took 5 business days to get my card abroad. This is from the doc of the card - "a new card can be rushed to a foreign address, arriving in 2-7 days, depending on location. No fee for standard or rush shipping".

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
On 1/22/2021 at 5:26 PM, jimeve said:

My UK bank will only send credit cards by normal post. Trouble is it's taking 6-7 months to get here. Asked them if i paid for a courier service, they said can't do that.

Oh well, should get them by Christmas. 

That's true.

My trick was to use my friend's address (in London) as the address of the account. The card arrived in a couple of days and then I had to ask him to send it to the Philippines, via DHL.

I think it's the safest option.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

That's true.

My trick was to use my friend's address (in London) as the address of the account. The card arrived in a couple of days and then I had to ask him to send it to the Philippines, via DHL.

I think it's the safest option.

It isn't always an option - some, not all, banks are very strict about addresses and require documentary evidence linking the account holder to the address. When I first came here, we had a temporary address only so I asked my U.K. bank to use my ex-wife's US address in the interim. They agreed but asked for documents linking her to the address and said this would be allowed only for 6 months. Sure enough, at the end of this period they called me and asked me to provide my new address.

Again, this was my experience with my bank, not all are as strict it seems.

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, Shady said:

Credit or debit cards? Etrade refused, Capital One refused, even Amex refused. I can't remember what Chase said, this was awhile ago.

Both credit and debit cards are sent to foreign addresses. Amex refused? You must be kidding... Maybe if you have the no fees or low fees Amex cards, in this case you get what you paid for but if you have an international/travel cards and you need it while you travel abroad it does not make any sense to wait 5-6 weeks for a card while you always moving around. To take it to the extreme, Amex Centurion has a $5,000 per year annual fee, you think they will not rush deliver it to any address in the planet?

Edited by Explorer

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 1/21/2021 at 7:42 PM, manofthecoldland said:

Maybe it will be better if I just wait until I return to the States when possible to do so safely and easily, or buy a new tablet for the wife here (P 8K), as a back up for my on-line banking use.

Surly you have a shart phone? Most banks have an app for online banking. I have 3 bank apps on my phone and do most from there.

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Explorer said:

it does not make any sense to wait 5-6 weeks for a card while you always moving around.

No kidding? Tell it to them, and it was an Amex debit card.

You never answered: Are you adding addresses to your online account, and then having them sent there? Or just giving any current address to a service rep in a call center?

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Shady said:

No kidding? Tell it to them, and it was an Amex debit card.

You never answered: Are you adding addresses to your online account, and then having them sent there? Or just giving any current address to a service rep in a call center?

I am not adding addresses to my account, as far as the bank concern I am traveling and on the move so the foreign address is temporary. For Schwab I log online into my account and upload a doc into their message center with the address I want the card to be sent. For Bank of America and Chase it is just a phone call to give them the address.

• Like 1