How do I get my new bank debit card sent here?

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

It isn't always an option - some, not all, banks are very strict about addresses and require documentary evidence linking the account holder to the address. When I first came here, we had a temporary address only so I asked my U.K. bank to use my ex-wife's US address in the interim. They agreed but asked for documents linking her to the address and said this would be allowed only for 6 months. Sure enough, at the end of this period they called me and asked me to provide my new address.

Again, this was my experience with my bank, not all are as strict it seems.

Strangely enough, Barclays didn't ask me for any proof of address to move the account address to my friend's. Eventually I moved the address here to the Philippines, as soon as Customer Service told me it was possible.

What bank were you referring to?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

That's true.

My trick was to use my friend's address (in London) as the address of the account. The card arrived in a couple of days and then I had to ask him to send it to the Philippines, via DHL.

I think it's the safest option.

That was my intention, ask the bank to post it to my sisters UK address, then ask my sister to send it to my address with DHL.

But the bank said they can only sent it to the address to the card holder.

Youngster
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is my experience with US based cards, but YMMV.  As for replacement credit/debit cards for those about to expire, banks will only send them to my US addresse only.  I know that because I requested for those new, not yet activated cards to be sent to me in the PI, and they refused.  

One workaround I found was, I would ask my relative who collects my mail to go ahead and send pics of front and back of my card which I then activate.  After a few days, I would call the bank and report it lost, who then gladly sends it to my PI address, in my case, Schwab debit card and an Amex Card, both of which were overnighted to me to Angeles City.

As for OP's question, I would only use courier services like FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. and definitely not use USPS which then hands it over to very unreliable Phil Post.

Edited by Youngster
  • Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Surly you have a smart phone? Most banks have an app for online banking. I have 3 bank apps on my phone and do most from there.

No. But thanks for the tip/advice, JGF.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

No. But thanks for the tip/advice, JGF.

Smart phone I meant or modern phone :thumbsup:

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Smart phone I meant or modern phone :thumbsup:

Yes. I understand, JGF. (ako intindihan)

Due to a variety of personal practical reasons due to my splitting my year living here on Panay and 65* N., I have been, up till now, been able to live without one by using alternatives. It is becoming increasingly more inconvenient as the technology and world moves forward. I had planned to go Smart when I returned to the USA, or should do so here. 

I use the simplest, cheapest phones and load systems for talk & text, which is a pittance compared to many of the data plans.... doing my more lengthy and involved communications via laptops.

Here in the PI now, the loads are not so time restricted/terminated so it is even cheaper and easier to keep a simple phone functional long term, but In the USA I had to get a new $30 phone and $25/mo. card every year when I returned since they kill the number if you don't use it for 2 months..... and the cheapest phones there did not have long life or insertable SIM cards, or if they do.... they are put into the dead number bank for 2 years..... so I would get a new number for my USA use every spring and text all my personal contacts. Cheap, but troublesome for many it seems. 

I will probably have to bite the bullet and invest with a more expensive and sophisticated technology and budget accordingly.... which I was reluctant to do for a long time, since I could meet my needs with simpler and cheaper methods..... but those days are coming to an end  it seems. Fortunately many of the previous higher costs are decreasing as access plans and phone prices come down due to competition and what the lower economic classes can afford in these pinching economic times. 

I will have to start researching and consulting other ex-pats who split their time living in both the PI and the USA to find the most useful and cost-efficient solution with unlocked phones/dual SIM cards, International plans, etc.  I am NOT looking forward to the venture, but it is probably inevitable for me. But so far I have enjoyed keeping things simple and cheap since that is the life-style I have always adopted with contentment and personal satisfaction.

Thanks for the kick-in-the-ass start-up..... Ha-ha.  Too many of my age-group peers are very reluctant to stay current with today's technology since it doesn't always make life better or easier for them.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Strangely enough, Barclays didn't ask me for any proof of address to move the account address to my friend's. Eventually I moved the address here to the Philippines, as soon as Customer Service told me it was possible.

What bank were you referring to?

Nationwide 

17 hours ago, jimeve said:

But the bank said they can only sent it to the address to the card holder.

Same here 

Explorer
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Yes. I understand, JGF. (ako intindihan)

Due to a variety of personal practical reasons due to my splitting my year living here on Panay and 65* N., I have been, up till now, been able to live without one by using alternatives. It is becoming increasingly more inconvenient as the technology and world moves forward. I had planned to go Smart when I returned to the USA, or should do so here. 

I use the simplest, cheapest phones and load systems for talk & text, which is a pittance compared to many of the data plans.... doing my more lengthy and involved communications via laptops.

Here in the PI now, the loads are not so time restricted/terminated so it is even cheaper and easier to keep a simple phone functional long term, but In the USA I had to get a new $30 phone and $25/mo. card every year when I returned since they kill the number if you don't use it for 2 months..... and the cheapest phones there did not have long life or insertable SIM cards, or if they do.... they are put into the dead number bank for 2 years..... so I would get a new number for my USA use every spring and text all my personal contacts. Cheap, but troublesome for many it seems. 

I will probably have to bite the bullet and invest with a more expensive and sophisticated technology and budget accordingly.... which I was reluctant to do for a long time, since I could meet my needs with simpler and cheaper methods..... but those days are coming to an end  it seems. Fortunately many of the previous higher costs are decreasing as access plans and phone prices come down due to competition and what the lower economic classes can afford in these pinching economic times. 

I will have to start researching and consulting other ex-pats who split their time living in both the PI and the USA to find the most useful and cost-efficient solution with unlocked phones/dual SIM cards, International plans, etc.  I am NOT looking forward to the venture, but it is probably inevitable for me. But so far I have enjoyed keeping things simple and cheap since that is the life-style I have always adopted with contentment and personal satisfaction.

Thanks for the kick-in-the-ass start-up..... Ha-ha.  Too many of my age-group peers are very reluctant to stay current with today's technology since it doesn't always make life better or easier for them.

I am just curious, how can you access this forum but you cannot access your bank account online? You don't need an app to access your bank account.

For my online I am using TMobile One Unlimited 55+ plan which is giving me unlimited international data and texts. What interesting is that while in the Philippines, the data coverage of my TMobile simcard is frequently much better than my GF's Smart simcard.

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Explorer said:

For Bank of America and Chase it is just a phone call to give them the address.

Next time I get a replacement card sent to the US, I'll try that.

But you still need to keep an address in the US, for all the bank accounts, correct?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Explorer said:

What interesting is that while in the Philippines, the data coverage of my TMobile simcard is frequently much better than my GF's Smart simcard.

Now you make me curious, Explorer...

What telecom system is your TMobile accessing when you are here? And are there extra fees for "wandering," or anything else? I don't need this as I have okay service from Smart (Stupid) most of the time and won't be travelling to USA for a long while. Just wondering how that works for you.