How do I get my new bank debit card sent here?

Shady
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Youngster said:

As for replacement credit/debit cards for those about to expire, banks will only send them to my US addresse only.  I know that because I requested for those new, not yet activated cards to be sent to me in the PI, and they refused.  

One workaround I found was, I would ask my relative who collects my mail to go ahead and send pics of front and back of my card which I then activate.  After a few days, I would call the bank and report it lost, who then gladly sends it to my PI address, in my case, Schwab debit card and an Amex Card, both of which were overnighted to me to Angeles City.

ha, or maybe I'll try that method.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe I am talking out of school here?

However, I just today received my virus relief payment. Last time it was a check, this time it is a debit card. It was sent to my USA mail handler.

I never use debit cards because the chances are greater (or at least seem so to me) that someone can steal that money that is already available and accessible and it might be more difficult to recover that than a credit card from the issuing institution?

A few years ago someone somehow hacked one of my credit cards and charged some sort of weird jewelry using the numbers only - the card never left my possession. I called the bank and they instantly cancellation before any payment even reached the vendor. I do check all accounts several times a week out of an abundance of caution, so I will see any fraudulent activity very quickly. And I suggest that everyone with credit/debit/bank accounts check them regularly. It is so quick and easy online now. I still remember checking monthly paper statements (when the earth was still cooling and dinosaurs still wandered around us Neanderthals). 

Regardless, I see that I can just deposit the payment credit from the card directly into my bank account - if it works as advertised.

Even so, I really don't use my credit cards here either. I pay cash for everything except online purchases, so I guess I don't really need to physically have the cards in my possession? The data should suffice, I would think, unless the cards are required for in-person purchases? Just ruminating here...

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Maybe I am talking out of school here?

However, I just today received my virus relief payment. Last time it was a check, this time it is a debit card. It was sent to my USA mail handler.

I never use debit cards because the chances are greater (or at least seem so to me) that someone can steal that money that is already available and accessible and it might be more difficult to recover that from the issuing institution?

Regardless, I see that I can just deposit the payment credit from the card directly into my bank account - if it works as advertised.

Even so, I really don't use my credit cards here either. I pay cash for everything except online purchases, so I guess I don't really need to physically have the cards in my possession? The data should suffice, I would think, unless the cards are required for in-person purchases? Just ruminating here...

I don't know but surely you need to hand over the card to make a purchase using the debit card in person?  I always have had to do that here.  For online purchases, obviously, it's not the case and the details are sufficient.  

Clermont
Posted
Posted

First off, security reasons are the reasons why banks wont send cards overseas. Next, I know this is of topic a bit, but when I'm over there I can still transfer money to my wife's bank account ( Landbank ) using my wife's son computer, electronic banking and letting the transfer agent know your in the PI before you leave your country and the length of time you intend to stay helps with their security and no balls ups. On my bank card I have four years to renew it, if memory serves me well, you can only get Three years extension in total on your visa, so a quick trip home sorts out that problem. Jim I'm sorry I haven't better news for you and I know the predicament you and hundreds of other expats are in but ( there's that word again ) has anyone tried their consulate? :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't know but surely you need to hand over the card to make a purchase using the debit card in person?  I always have had to do that here.  For online purchases, obviously, it's not the case and the details are sufficient.  

Sorry HK, I guess I did not make myself clear. I only use my one debit card for ATM cash advances, so it does come in handy.

However lately, I have been doing wire transfers due to the rather large payments required for the home construction. My local bank, PNB, is very relaxed and I am sure everyone in the branch knows about me and our home build. They are very curious. So I haven't shown ID there in over a year. They fill out any paperwork for transfers or $/Peso exchanges and I just scrawl what serves as my signature... I should have been a doctor!

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

First off, security reasons are the reasons why banks wont send cards overseas.

But they do, Clermont.  At least, the UK ones do - the issue is it takes soooooooooooo long for the post to get here at the best of times.  There are no security issues as the cards have to be activated before they can be used.  

Explorer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

Next time I get a replacement card sent to the US, I'll try that.

But you still need to keep an address in the US, for all the bank accounts, correct?

When you apply for a new credit card then yes, they will never send the card to a foreign address, they will send it to the address you entered in the application form, which is always a US address.

Yes, in the account you need to keep a US address. I have all my mail going to a "dummy" address somewhere in Florida, I never been there but once I receive a mail the guys over there are scanning it so I can see it and if it is a new expired credit card that was sent, do I need to ask them to activate it? Of course not, I just tell them to shred it and I call the bank to tell them that I am not at "home" at the moment and please send me the card to an alternate address.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry HK, I guess I did not make myself clear. I only use my one debit card for ATM cash advances, so it does come in handy.

However lately, I have been doing wire transfers due to the rather large payments required for the home construction. My local bank, PNB, is very relaxed and I am sure everyone in the branch knows about me and our home build. They are very curious. So I haven't shown ID there in over a year. They fill out any paperwork for transfers or $/Peso exchanges and I just scrawl what serves as my signature... I should have been a doctor!

If you've already provided ID in the past then there would be no reason to have to provide it every time, Tom.  Being foreigners, we probably stand out and thus are easily remembered.

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, jimeve said:

That was my intention, ask the bank to post it to my sisters UK address, then ask my sister to send it to my address with DHL.

But the bank said they can only sent it to the address to the card holder.

Are you from the UK? I can't speak for all banks as I have been banking with Barclays since 1998 and never changed. When I separated from my ex-wife in 2012, I let her keep our joint account (as it had a sizeable overdraft) and opened a new individual account, still with Barclays.

I then changed the address of this new account at least 4 times, as I moved around London and the commuter belt. When I moved to the Philippines in 2015 they said they couldn't accept a non-UK address, so I gave them my trusted friend's address. The few times some important documents (like a new card) arrived, I would ask them to kindly bundle them in a pouch and send them over via courier.

Then in 2018, all of a sudden, Barclays told me they could accept a non-UK address so what they have now on record is my Manila address.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

I will probably have to bite the bullet and invest with a more expensive and sophisticated technology and budget accordingly...

Bit off topic but phones are cheap if you buy a model about a year old. Around a year ago I bought a phone for P15k and were surprised to see today the same new phone is selling for P1500 to P2000.

• Like 2