Question To Ask A Potential Contractor For Hire.

russellmania
Posted
Posted

What are some pertinent questions to ask a building contractor you thinking about hiring to build a single family home in the Philippines.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, russellmania said:

What are some pertinent questions to ask a building contractor you thinking about hiring to build a single family home in the Philippines.

Are you honest?  Do you do good quality work?  Do you have a lot of satisfied customers?  Are your employees all trained and experienced?  Will you stick to the agreed budget and schedule?  I can answer all of them now on his/her behalf!

Of course, I'm being facetious.  

It's just been my experience here, and those around me, that people here tend to over promise and under deliver.  I'd suggest you might try to take a look at some previous projects - you could talk to the clients but how honest an answer will you get if there is nothing in it for them to be honest?  Finding a good contractor here is gold, and people tend to stick with them so if the contractor has done several projects for the same client it could be a clue.  

A few of the posters here have done similar projects to your plan so hopefully they can offer some better pointers. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, russellmania said:

Take a look at my  story to learn about contractors... and do not trust anyone, ever...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Take a look at my  story to learn about contractors... and do not trust anyone, ever...

Whilst I wouldn't quite go that far, Tom, you're probably not far off.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

HK pretty much summarizes my thoughts....

Check around with others about the quality of the work from a contractor.

If in doubt... go elsewhere...

Trust no one completely... There is much deceit and mis-direction.

And plan to be there - on-site - every day during a construction, or it will not proceed correctly or as planned...guaranteed!

Personal experience has shown me the way...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Whilst I wouldn't quite go that far, Tom, you're probably not far off.

Actually, HK, this time I will disagree totally with you... I think I am right on the money on this...

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Actually, HK, this time I will disagree totally with you... I think I am right on the money on this...

Until my last project, a sun room, I'd have agreed with you but the contractor was spot on and did the job exactly as promised for the agreed sum and beyond our expectations.  In a strange kind of way, that fact that he asked for an additional payment (very small - 500php) when I changed the window style from sliding to awning reassured me that he was honest as he could have asked for 2 or 3 times more and on the other hand if he'd charged nothing I'd have been suspicious that the original price was inflated.  Some may put an alternative spin on this but his previous "behaviour" suggested he was not a cowboy.  

I got lucky. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Until my last project, a sun room, I'd have agreed with you but the contractor was spot on and did the job exactly as promised for the agreed sum and beyond our expectations.  In a strange kind of way, that fact that he asked for an additional payment (very small - 500php) when I changed the window style from sliding to awning reassured me that he was honest as he could have asked for 2 or 3 times more and on the other hand if he'd charged nothing I'd have been suspicious that the original price was inflated.  Some may put an alternative spin on this but his previous "behaviour" suggested he was not a cowboy.  

I got lucky. 

Well, HK... maybe you did get lucky. and I am happy for you...

But so far, my experience shows the opposite. So I would advise anyone, especially a newbie here, to not trust anyone who is a worker or claims to be a contractor. It also appears to be wise to let or encourage the wife/girlfriend/mate to begin negotiations or agreements with any local workers... Just my experience and advice...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

It also appears to be wise to let or encourage the wife/girlfriend/mate to begin negotiations or agreements with any local workers... Just my experience and advice...

So, perhaps I should word my comments in a different way?

I will, personally, not engage any work on our home, property or vehicles without having first-hand experience or knowledge about the contractor or worker from either L or someone she completely trusts... I think that should explain and cover my concerns and opinion?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Well, HK... maybe you did get lucky. and I am happy for you...

But so far, my experience shows the opposite. So I would advise anyone, especially a newbie here, to not trust anyone who is a worker or claims to be a contractor. It also appears to be wise to let or encourage the wife/girlfriend/mate to begin negotiations or agreements with any local workers... Just my experience and advice...

I cannot really take the credit for my choice - our neighbour used him and I was able to get an honest (well, honest enough) opinion and I could see his work.  From the experience of others, it's also not advisable to use family members who often claim to be skilled in all trades. 

Your point on getting the other half to do the business may be valid, but it certainly wouldn't work for me/us.  My wife doesn't have the skillset to negotiate and has practically no building experience at all.  She is fine as a go between in terms of translation but no more.  I'm a typical Scot so am not afraid to ask the right, or wrong questions! (as you well know) - that said, like all of us I've had the wool pulled over my eyes more than once so it's a minefield here.  

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic