Lack of enforcement,,,It just boggles the mind.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

For the life of me, after all the years living here, all the years being exposed to Filipino culture, attitudes and social mores by marriage and interaction, I just don't understand their decision making processes. I can not count the number of times I have seen these "one day" crack downs results being touted. Wouldn't logic tell leadership that if this number is encountered during a one day operation that heightened enforcement is needed? Why just enforce it on during one day? If they want to change behavior wouldn't consistent enforcement make sense? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

On a lighter note, I remember when I started driving here, my brother in law told me to always obey traffic laws around 9am, noon, 4pm and 6pm. When I asked why he told me......"because those are merianda and meal times.....thats when enforcers collect their snack money!" :hystery:

HPG catches 10,079 drivers in 1-day drive | Philstar.com

MANILA, Philippines — At least 10,079 motorists were apprehended for traffic violations by Highway Patrol Group (HPG) police officers during a one-day nationwide campaign on Thursday.

The HPG said 1,002 violators were given citation tickets for riding motorcycles without helmets and 1,872 others for passenger overloading.

Among the other most common violations were disregarding traffic signs and using cell phones while driving.

Sinas did not say how many violators were from Metro Manila.

“Traffic laws and regulations were made to be followed, because it can spell the difference between life and death when violated,” he said in a statement.

The HPG also impounded 1,234 vehicles for various violations and confiscated 442 illegal accessories. Thirty-eight colorum public utility vehicles were also impounded.

Four persons wanted for car theft were also arrested.

Sinas said the overall number of issued traffic citation tickets increased by 49.5 percent compared to previous operations.

The PNP intensified its operations against car theft syndicates as the government eased COVID-19 quarantine restrictions.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I had to chuckle on Boracay a few days ago.  The PNP had set a check point up just along from where I live.  The locals on their unregistered motorcycles or those without a driving licence were literally lined up alongside the road within full view of the Pulis just waiting for the road block to clear so they could continue on their way. I thought there had been an accident as so many had stopped.  

They are getting strict here though and impounding motorcycles and vehicles that aren't registered.  To have a motorcycle now you need Barangay clearance ( pay a fee), LTO inspection, smoke test, insurance (pay a fee), get a Mayors permit (pay a fee), have another inspection, have lived on the island 10yrs and own a business.  They brought the last two beauties in last year. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

have lived on the island 10yrs and own a business.  They brought the last two beauties in last year. 

Those two seem unusual, are there a lot of motorbikes there?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Those two seem unusual, are there a lot of motorbikes there?

They are trying to cut personal transport to a minimum. At Xmas they fully outlawed all gasoline tricycles for passengers and if you have a 4 wheel vehicle it must be white. :89:

To be fair they have spent serious money upgrading the island roads and footpaths.  I think if you've not visited in about 4yrs it'll be an eye opener. 

There's also the slight matter of a few thousand properties to be demolished including a few worth hundreds of millions of peso. They have all the so called legal paperwork but it was acquired slightly illegally it would appear

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I had to chuckle on Boracay a few days ago.  The PNP had set a check point up just along from where I live.  The locals on their unregistered motorcycles or those without a driving licence were literally lined up alongside the road within full view of the Pulis just waiting for the road block to clear so they could continue on their way.

They do the same here on the main road once in a while. We've had to actually get out of unregistered tricycles before our destination because of it. And, yup, there is always a whole line of scofflaws lined up, waiting for the crackdown to end.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

For the life of me, after all the years living here, all the years being exposed to Filipino culture, attitudes and social mores by marriage and interaction, I just don't understand their decision making processes. I can not count the number of times I have seen these "one day" crack downs results being touted. Wouldn't logic tell leadership that if this number is encountered during a one day operation that heightened enforcement is needed? Why just enforce it on during one day? If they want to change behavior wouldn't consistent enforcement make sense? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

On a lighter note, I remember when I started driving here, my brother in law told me to always obey traffic laws around 9am, noon, 4pm and 6pm. When I asked why he told me......"because those are merianda and meal times.....thats when enforcers collect their snack money!" :hystery:

HPG catches 10,079 drivers in 1-day drive | Philstar.com

MANILA, Philippines — At least 10,079 motorists were apprehended for traffic violations by Highway Patrol Group (HPG) police officers during a one-day nationwide campaign on Thursday.

The HPG said 1,002 violators were given citation tickets for riding motorcycles without helmets and 1,872 others for passenger overloading.

Among the other most common violations were disregarding traffic signs and using cell phones while driving.

Sinas did not say how many violators were from Metro Manila.

“Traffic laws and regulations were made to be followed, because it can spell the difference between life and death when violated,” he said in a statement.

The HPG also impounded 1,234 vehicles for various violations and confiscated 442 illegal accessories. Thirty-eight colorum public utility vehicles were also impounded.

Four persons wanted for car theft were also arrested.

Sinas said the overall number of issued traffic citation tickets increased by 49.5 percent compared to previous operations.

The PNP intensified its operations against car theft syndicates as the government eased COVID-19 quarantine restrictions.

Reassuring to hear that traffic cop mentality exists elsewhere

Every Christmas we have a highly publicised drink driving campaign

The really stupid carry on as normal and are culled. Meanwhile the smart stupid park up for a couple of weeks then it's back to normal in the new year

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

To be fair they have spent serious money upgrading the island roads and footpaths.  I think if you've not visited in about 4yrs it'll be an eye opener. There's also the slight matter of a few thousand properties to be demolished including a few worth hundreds of millions of peso. They have all the so called legal paperwork but it was acquired slightly illegally it would appear

Is Boracay classified as urban or rural?

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

They are trying to cut personal transport to a minimum. At Xmas they fully outlawed all gasoline tricycles for passengers and if you have a 4 wheel vehicle it must be white. :89:

To be fair they have spent serious money upgrading the island roads and footpaths.  I think if you've not visited in about 4yrs it'll be an eye opener. 

There's also the slight matter of a few thousand properties to be demolished including a few worth hundreds of millions of peso. They have all the so called legal paperwork but it was acquired slightly illegally it would appear

It’s been over 10 years since we visited , we stayed at fairways and Bluewater , it was so nice back then in my eyes .

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

Is Boracay classified as urban or rural?

Surprisingly it's classed as agricultural and forest land mainly. It's pretty unique in that then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Proclamation 1064 in 2006 classified Boracay as forestland (for protection purposes) and agricultural land (alienable and disposable). Technically only a small portion of the island is titled. The rest belongs to the Government as those that have been paying their taxes found out to their detriment. They are having an ongoing purge, arresting people for illegal settlements and giving them 15 days to vacate and demolish. 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, stevewool said:

It’s been over 10 years since we visited , we stayed at fairways and Bluewater , it was so nice back then in my eyes .

You'll notice a massive improvement now.  Tidying the island up for the Chinese. I think long term it will be large corporations owning resorts and all locals will be decanted to the mainland if some of the enforcements I'm seeing here continue.

They enforce the curfews and face mask wearing etc and have regular road blocks.  

https://web.facebook.com/energyfmkalibo107.7/posts/3756563007725085?_rdc=1&_rdr