Lack of enforcement,,,It just boggles the mind.

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Surprisingly it's classed as agricultural and forest land mainly. It's pretty unique in that then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Proclamation 1064 in 2006 classified Boracay as forestland (for protection purposes) and agricultural land (alienable and disposable). Technically only a small portion of the island is titled. The rest belongs to the Government as those that have been paying their taxes found out to their detriment. They are having an ongoing purge, arresting people for illegal settlements and giving them 15 days to vacate and demolish. 

Interesting, if it isn't urban even in the resort areas than the shoreline development law could be the reason for some of the demolishing.

Forest land cannot be developed 40 meters from the shoreline, agricultural areas 20 meters, urban areas 3 meters.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Shady said:

Forest land cannot be developed 40 meters from the shoreline, agricultural areas 20 meters, urban areas 3 meters.

Someone will surely ask you for a link.  I took the time to google one :56da64a413b01_3_12_311::cryingwhilelaughing_anim:  See Page 5 on this document

https://www.doe.gov.ph/sites/default/files/pdf/eicc/eicc-planning-conference-materials-lmb-foreshore-presentation.pdf

• I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

To be fair they have spent serious money upgrading the island roads and footpaths.

So they upgraded the roads and now they don't want people using them. :hystery:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Someone will surely ask you for a link.  I took the time to google one :56da64a413b01_3_12_311::cryingwhilelaughing_anim:  See Page 5 on this document

https://www.doe.gov.ph/sites/default/files/pdf/eicc/eicc-planning-conference-materials-lmb-foreshore-presentation.pdf

That is confusing, even by Philippine standards.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Shady said:

Interesting, if it isn't urban even in the resort areas than the shoreline development law could be the reason for some of the demolishing.

Boracay has taken land enforcement to the extreme in that they are saying no building on the Forest Land or Mangrove areas and they have added an additional 5m to the shore easement areas. 

Fortunately I read a few thousand pages of legal documents prior to purchasing my condo here or I'd have fallen foul of many laws.  I knew most of the land was tax declared and even discovered that a road widening program had been passed about 10yrs ago which would mean the destruction of thousands of properties.  When I queried these issues I was told it's not a problem and the government would never forcefully recover the land as too many people were involved and that it was only a matter of time before the tax declared land was titled. Many even laughed at me when I brought it up.

The vast majority of the properties had all the usual legal documents and many had them for over 15yrs. I came close on a couple of occasions to buying but kept getting a bad feeling.  I ended up buying inside a resort owned by a multi billion peso company that was titled but even with that nothing is safe fully on Boracay. 

Fast forward two years and the President closed the island and started the forceful evictions, even going to the stage of sending the military in to start demolishing one resort where a rich businessman was going to fight the government through the court. Obvioiusly working on the priniple that if there's no resort there's nothing to fight for. Leading up to Xmas the DENR and various police organisations rounded up some home owners under the guise of a meeting to solve land isues.  Those that attended were arrested, fined and bailed.  They were given 15 days to vacate and demolish their properties. Some of these properties are multi storey apartments and huge mansions, others had been paying tax since the 194s.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1364944/nbi-sues-10-boracay-property-owners-for-occupying-forestland

This will give you a perspective on the size o some of these properties to go. 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As an add on to how they enforce things here these properties were all constructed with the necessary permits and taxes paid. Some videos you can see the home owners outside with their kids pleading to stop the demolition as they say they are legal and taking things through the courts.  They were just pushed aside and the demolition continued. The arguement was a road approved by the government was running parallel to their homes and a 16m clearance taken from the centre of the new road either side belongs to the state.  Fast forward to today an it turns out there is no new road.  Someone read the map incorrectly but it's too late for the residents.

• Sad 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I had to chuckle on Boracay a few days ago.  The PNP had set a check point up just along from where I live.  The locals on their unregistered motorcycles or those without a driving licence were literally lined up alongside the road within full view of the Pulis just waiting for the road block to clear so they could continue on their way. I thought there had been an accident as so many had stopped.  

They are getting strict here though and impounding motorcycles and vehicles that aren't registered.  To have a motorcycle now you need Barangay clearance ( pay a fee), LTO inspection, smoke test, insurance (pay a fee), get a Mayors permit (pay a fee), have another inspection, have lived on the island 10yrs and own a business.  They brought the last two beauties in last year. 

Get a mayors permit to own a motor cycle....This takes the cake...is it a joke?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Get a mayors permit to own a motor cycle....This takes the cake...is it a joke?

Mayor's and Barangay also.  Plus you pay them both for the pleasure.

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I ended up buying inside a resort owned by a multi billion peso company that was titled but even with that nothing is safe fully on Boracay. 

If by titled you mean freehold title you should be fine. The problems with condos can happen with a leasehold title, ie the condo developer doesn't own the land, they just lease it for 50 years.

The reason this hasn't been an issue so far in the PH is because none of the condos are 50 years old...yet.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Mayor's and Barangay also.  Plus you pay them both for the pleasure.

My locals are very nice, they played non stop music for 11 hours and they even turned the volume up for me to hear, so nice of them. I was going to visit them to say what kindly and thoughtful neighbors you are. And in the evening they turned the really nice music up so the rest of the barangay could hear. Every day this week too, even the schoolkids were listening, still better than studying. 

Neighbors like that, gotta love them.:571c66d400c8c_1(103): 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1