Need to keep USA cell service?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Looks like a good option. Plus I can possibly port my number to them. 

Thanks, I will look into them more and report back in a few weeks. We leave mid February. Provided nothing changes with restrictions that is.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Are low end phone plans really that expensive in the USA?

Here I have a $10 per month phone plan with international roaming for receiving calls and texts (if I want to call out when overseas I can buy a $10 pack).

There are even a couple of cheaper plans which don't have any data attached to them.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Here in USA $10 doesn’t even cover the local, state and federal taxes on a basic phone plan.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted

Does anyone use Google Fi? It's a little pricey but it would be good for the times that you need a US number that is actually tied to your phone when you are in the Philippines.

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 2/1/2021 at 7:58 AM, FlyAway said:

Here in USA $10 doesn’t even cover the local, state and federal taxes on a basic phone plan.

The are low cost plans in the US. Ting (and others) have plans starting with $10.

https://ting.com/plans

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

We just call long distance to the US from Cebu, using our local cellphones. We've called our US bank, just being mindful of the time differences.:smile:

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Not sure if it helps but i use Viber to contact my UK bank and the UK pension service very cheap !

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, expatuk2014 said:

Not sure if it helps but i use Viber to contact my UK bank and the UK pension service very cheap !

Viber is great for voice calls but it doesn't work (for me at least) for bank authorization texts).

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 2/3/2021 at 6:37 PM, Queenie O. said:

We just call long distance to the US from Cebu, using our local cellphones. We've called our US bank, just being mindful of the time differences.:smile:

Don't you have a problem if your bank puts you on ignore, listening to lobotomy music for 40 minutes? That's what I like about my Skype connection... it is unlimited calls, unlimited time to USA numbers. Just the texts don't work incoming...

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

My major concern is all the 2 factor authentication needed for banking. I need the ability to receive text messages. Looks like I will be going with Global Call Forwarding.