Need to keep USA cell service?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 2/8/2021 at 3:14 AM, FlyAway said:

My major concern is all the 2 factor authentication needed for banking. I need the ability to receive text messages. Looks like I will be going with Global Call Forwarding.

Check with your bank to see if they will provide you with an RSA type security device for the 2 factor authentication.  I know Wells Fargo will do this.  They will not send the device to the Philippines but you could bring it with you on the move. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Check with your bank to see if they will provide you with an RSA type security device for the 2 factor authentication.  I know Wells Fargo will do this.  They will not send the device to the Philippines but you could bring it with you on the move. 

image.jpeg

That's what I've got from my UK bank, and they sent it to the Philippines.  It's a little temperamental though, and sometimes I need to insert/remove my card 12+ times to get it to activate.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, hk blues said:

That's what I've got from my UK bank, and they sent it to the Philippines.  It's a little temperamental though, and sometimes I need to insert/remove my card 12+ times to get it to activate.  

Maybe a bit of corrosion on the plug or your USB port?

The one from Wells does not plug into a computer, it simply a stand along device.  The six digit number changes every minute or so.   But, you need a new device when the battery dies after about three years. 

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Maybe a bit of corrosion on the plug or your USB port?

The one from Wells does not plug into a computer, it simply a stand along device.  The six digit number changes every minute or so.   But, you need a new device when the battery dies after about three years. 

It's a stand alone device like yours, Mike - I have to insert my card into a slot.  I don't think it is the battery either as it's almost never used and it works perfectly in the sense it keeps saying error - please retry.  Sometimes it works 1st time, other times 10th time.  I wipe the magnetic strip etc but it doesn't help.  An additional problem is that there is no info on which way up the card goes so that adds to the problem, and as I use it so rarely I forget.  Of course, i could write that down but that would spoil the excitement of wondering if it will work!  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's a stand alone device like yours, Mike - I have to insert my card into a slot.  I don't think it is the battery either as it's almost never used and it works perfectly in the sense it keeps saying error - please retry.  Sometimes it works 1st time, other times 10th time.  I wipe the magnetic strip etc but it doesn't help.  An additional problem is that there is no info on which way up the card goes so that adds to the problem, and as I use it so rarely I forget.  Of course, i could write that down but that would spoil the excitement of wondering if it will work!  

Maybe I am a bit confused.  I use my security device when I log into my Wells account via computer for two factor security.  Login ID, password, plus the current six digit number from the security device.  You need to swipe your actual credit/debit card when logging in at your computer, or do you need two factor when accessing an ATM?

Wyatt Cox
Posted
Posted
On 1/30/2021 at 5:30 PM, Shady said:

Don't keep me in suspense, give me more information how it works for you. 

Reading through the UniTel information, it indicates it forwards voice calls, but it doesn't make it clear that texts are forwarded.  Is it forwarding the text to your local number or do your email? 

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted

Apologize for late reply but I just saw the thread

First things first: By design, Skype can't receive an SMS message UNLESS it's in reply to an SMS sent FROM Skype, so Skype is worthless for TFA (Two-Factor Authentication)

Google Voice can receive TFA SMS from most financial institutions and others; I use it routinely with Bank of America, Paypal, Callcentric, etc. and it works fine. The only bank that I use that it doesn't receive TFA SMS from is Chase but Chase will send SMS via e-mail

One thing to keep in mind about GV is that one MUST have some sort of U.S. phone service in order to use it. It can be cellular service or a landline. That's important because from time-to-time GV will send a verification SMS to a number that hasn't been used by GV for some period of time so, while it might be possible to sign up with GV using a burner number or a phone that one later gets rid of, if one is not using the verification phone number with GV periodically, at some point GV will send a verification SMS to verify that the number is still active and associated with GV and if one doesn't enter the SMS verification code (for cell numbers) or from the robo call (for landlines), GV will remove the number 

Heavy-hitter banks, brokerages, and crypto exchanges like BofA, Charles Schwab, Fidelity, Kraken, etc. that take their customers security seriously all offer authentication via either a device (Charles Schwab, BofA, Kraken) or a smartphone app (Fidelity). A physical device is the best way to go because they are not targets for theft as is a smartphone and most people don't even know what they are, especially something like a YubiKey

Another option is to set up one's own VoIP number with a company like Callcentric - they offer incoming U.S. telephone numbers that will accept SMS (although they do state those numbers aren't for verification numbers) and the service is dirt cheap when compared to U.S. cellular service

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted

An addendum regarding Callcentric:

One can log into one's Callcentric account from a web browser, so if logged in, one can see an SMS as soon as it arrives or one can use something like Zoiper, an Android VoIP app, to use a Callcentric number anywhere one has wi-fi or cellular data.

Basically a roll-you-own Viber or LINE

Shady
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Wyatt Cox said:

Reading through the UniTel information, it indicates it forwards voice calls, but it doesn't make it clear that texts are forwarded.  Is it forwarding the text to your local number or do your email? 

kall8 forwards voice mails to email and any local number, and forwards text to email.   It's possible it can forward text your local number, I just had no need for that because it goes to email immediately.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mike J said:

Maybe I am a bit confused.  I use my security device when I log into my Wells account via computer for two factor security.  Login ID, password, plus the current six digit number from the security device.  You need to swipe your actual credit/debit card when logging in at your computer, or do you need two factor when accessing an ATM?

My device is rectangular and about 25% larger than a credit card.  To log onto my online account I need to enter a user id and D.O.B. on screen and then insert my actual card into the device via a slot, my ATM pin and then another code (fixed) which will then generate a 4-digit (it might be 6, I forget) code to finalise the log in on screen.  And, once logged in, If I wish to do a transaction I then need to generate another code via the device.  There is also the option to receive codes via SMS but the signal here is not always reliable. 

• Thanks 1