Posted
Posted

Thanks for the correction HK should of checked with you first. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/1/2021 at 3:07 AM, Snowy79 said:

I think the days of the stealth submarines are long gone with today's technology. 

My fear is the likes of Taiwan would be invaded or wiped out before anyone retaliated and by then it would be too late and maybe not worth starting a World war over.

In my opinion, the boomers like the UK Vanguard class are super quiet but the technology of silence and sensors to detect that "quietness" keeps getting better and better.  For example, in 2005 a Swedish diesel sub (HSMS GOTLAND) with a Sterling engine, sank USS Ronald Regan, circled around the battle group again and made repeated torpedo attacks without being detected -- all wartime simulation.   In fact, the US navy leased one to study how to counter this silent killer of the sea.

As you may know, the US military is bound by rules of engagement -- let the bad guys shoot first, even after multiple warnings.  It is my understanding that President Biden will support Taiwan, if ask.  We don't have a mutual defense treaty with them unlike Japan and South Korea.  But are those countries military also restricted to similar ROE?  If you're getting a missile lock on your butt, whatcha gonna do?  

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

If you're getting a missile lock on your butt, whatcha gonna do? 

I would shoot first and ask questions later... Sad but true response.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I would shoot first and ask questions later... Sad but true response.

Back in JULY of 2019, South Korean fighter jets actually shot about 500 rounds as warning shots against a Russian surveillance plane violating their air space.  The SK military apparently have their own rules of engagement.  

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jake said:

Back in JULY of 2019, South Korean fighter jets actually shot about 500 rounds as warning shots against a Russian surveillance plane violating their air space.  The SK military apparently have their own rules of engagement.  

That was jimeves rifle

He'd swopped it for a karaoke machine

• Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

The rules of engagement are certainly written by some pen pusher sitting at home nice and safe.  Whilst I was on a tour in Northern Iraq with 3 Cdo Bde Royal Marines one of our observation posts came under fire from some Iraqi Republican Guards. 

The log book was quite comical.  At 08:30hrs we came under fire by two small calibre weapons, two shots fired, we returned fire with 2 rounds of 7.62 from the General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG). 11am we came under fire by two small calibre weapons, 8 shots fired, we returned fire with 8 rounds from the GPMG.  12:07pm we came under fire by two small calibre weapons on automatic, approximately 30 rounds fired, we returned fire and emptied a belt of 200 rounds into their position.  Threat eradicated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Threat eradicated.

I didn't know you were in da shits.  Must be SOP to demonstrate "superior fire power", even against a cow.   Do you miss your toys that go bang?  

Edited by Jake

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jake said:

I didn't know you were da shits.  Must be SOP to display "superior power", even against a cow.   Do you miss your toys that go bang?  

I'm fortunate.  When I served the guys thought if they cut me in half I was camouflage in the inside, but when I retired I was a civi instantly and never looked back.  It's a different military as they say these days.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jake said:

Do you miss your toys that go bang?  

I miss my Ruger model 77V 22/250 with heavy barrel, 4x12 power scope, and a bipod.  I once shot a five round 5/8 group at 100 yards.  Set the zero at 200 yards.  Used it for varmint hunting in eastern Oregon and eliminated a great many ground squirrels, called Grey Diggers by the locals.

• Like 4

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I miss my Ruger model 77V 22/250 with heavy barrel, 4x12 power scope, and a bipod.  I once shot a five round 5/8 group at 100 yards.  Set the zero at 200 yards.  Used it for varmint hunting in eastern Oregon and eliminated a great many ground squirrels, called Grey Diggers by the locals.

I used a ferret stuck it down a hole and waited. No guns involved but the dogs had a ball when the rabbits started to appear

• Like 2