SpaceX Starlink internet coming to Philippines this year?

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Once it becomes available, I will become a customer in the RoP once I go back.

Most likely the Government will protect local providers from real competition but one could always hope. :Happy:

Local providers could become licensed resellers and get a piece of the revenues. It could also be used as backhaul for standard cellular services in more remote areas, no fiber or copper needed to connect the sites. I don't see it happening this year, although I could be wrong. They are still beta testing in North America. UK's OneWeb is also back in business after bankruptcy (and with dozens of satellites already in orbit), and Canada's Telesat has plans to loft its own constellation (there is already a test satellite in orbit). They can fill the same gaps as StarLink if they choose (although StarLink is far ahead in terms of satellite count).

Edited by Reboot

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

Once it becomes available, I will become a customer in the RoP once I go back.

Local providers could become licensed resellers and get a piece of the revenues. It could also be used as backhaul for standard cellular services in more remote areas, no fiber or copper needed to connect the sites. I don't see it happening this year, although I could be wrong. They are still beta testing in North America. UK's OneWeb is also back in business after bankruptcy (and with dozens of satellites already in orbit), and Canada's Telesat has plans to loft its own constellation (there is already a test satellite in orbit). They can fill the same gaps as StarLink if they choose (although StarLink is far ahead in terms of satellite count).

Amazon is also seeking permission to launch 3000 plus satellites for internet.  Deep pockets there so money to get up and running would not be an issue.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

If my experience here is anthing to go by, the big boys such as Globe and PLDT will try to exert influence to make it as difficult as possible to use this service. Whilst the current fee is beyond most here, these guys aren't stupid and are well aware that as economies of scale and competition kick in, the price will reduce. 

My other observation is that given the market for this service is likely to be the more remote areas, which here also often means poorer, I doubt that a monthly fee that is possibly 50% or more of their monthly income will attract many customers.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I see this as a very early first step in dominating global internet service.

$100 is for Bata testing in remote Northern America and Southern Canada only. The service is being touted for underserved remote areas. The $500.00 phased array dish automatically scans the sky and moves to lock onto optimal signal.

Once it's established my guess is anyone on most of the planet will have access to this if their government allows it. For sure dictatorships like ccp or North Korea will block it as will some corrupt ones.

• Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
On 2/5/2021 at 6:18 AM, Mike J said:

They are going after the rural market where service is slow or even nonexistent.

So is electricity, are these things solar powered?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shady said:

We visited a small town between Sandpoint Idaho and Whitefish Montana last fall they had power but no cell or internet.

Truly off grid would require alternative power. Philippines would be ideal for solar power.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Shady said:

No, but an area with no electric service will not have computers or be able to charge a smart phone, etc.   I would expect that the chance to actually have internet would provide a major incentive to extend lines or provide solar to areas that may not have power.

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

I see this as a very early first step in dominating global internet service.

$100 is for Bata testing in remote Northern America and Southern Canada only. The service is being touted for underserved remote areas. The $500.00 phased array dish automatically scans the sky and moves to lock onto optimal signal.

Once it's established my guess is anyone on most of the planet will have access to this if their government allows it. For sure dictatorships like ccp or North Korea will block it as will some corrupt ones.

The "dishes" cost $1500 to make, which actually is extremely cheap for phased array electronically scanned antennas. But StarLink is still having to subsidize $1000 out of that in order to get the equipment price down for the customer.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

If my experience here is anthing to go by, the big boys such as Globe and PLDT will try to exert influence to make it as difficult as possible to use this service. Whilst the current fee is beyond most here, these guys aren't stupid and are well aware that as economies of scale and competition kick in, the price will reduce. 

My other observation is that given the market for this service is likely to be the more remote areas, which here also often means poorer, I doubt that a monthly fee that is possibly 50% or more of their monthly income will attract many customers.

I think the only practical way for Globe and PLDT to try and keep satellite service out of the market would be to improve the quality, speed, coverage, and reliability of cell coverage.  And that would be a win for underserved areas.  As far as cost I agree, but consider that this is the Philippines and it will take no time at all for someone to realize they can get the service, then use it a local hotspot for other users.  Fifty megs a second will provide adequate service to quite a few users and you could expect small internet cafes to start popping up in remote areas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Reboot said:

The "dishes" cost $1500 to make, which actually is extremely cheap for phased array electronically scanned antennas. But StarLink is still having to subsidize $1000 out of that in order to get the equipment price down for the customer.

Double damn, are you telling me that my piece of round cardboard covered with aluminum foil is not going to work? :sad::hystery:

• Haha 2