Astra Zeneca vaccine and the South African variant.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Terry P
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

South Africa have suspended the use of Astra Zeneca vaccine

Astra Zeneca say its autumn before they have a modified Vaccine

What next?

One step forward ten steps back

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

South Africa have suspended use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine because of it's limited efficacy against mild disease cases which means it won't do anything to reduce the spread of the disease.  That doesn't mean the vaccine won't stop people from dying and it doesn't mean it's not useful in countries where the South African variant isn't the predominant variant.

It was always expected that some initial vaccines would be less than perfect (the surprising thing to me is we got some that were so good), never the less a slightly altered version of the Astra Zeneca vaccine is in the planning stages already and will be available later this year for countries where the South African variant dominates (like the difference between last years flu jab and this years flu jab). 

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

South Africa have suspended use of the Astra Zeneca vaccine because of it's limited efficacy against mild disease cases which means it won't do anything to reduce the spread of the disease.  That doesn't mean the vaccine won't stop people from dying and it doesn't mean it's not useful in countries where the South African variant isn't the predominant varient.

It was always expected that some initial vaccines would be less than perfect (the surprising thing to me is we got some that were so good), never the less a slightly altered version of the Astra Zeneca vaccine is in the planning stages already and will be available later this year for countries where the South African variant dominates (like the difference between last years flu jab and this years flu jab). 

Altered version is due "autumn"

I agree with everything you have said

Let's hope they accept having had the Astra Zeneca jab is enough when I try to get through Manila airport. Otherwise it's probably going to be "see you next year honey"

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Altered version is due "autumn"

I keep forgetting that seasons are reversed up there in the northern hemisphere (apologies).

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I keep forgetting that seasons are reversed up there in the northern hemisphere (apologies).

There is a lot of things that are reversed here in the Philippines. :hystery:

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

There is a lot of things that are reversed here in the Philippines. :hystery:

Including your ability to stay 🤔🤔🤔🤔 careful I know a few captains

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, TerryP said:

South Africa have suspended the use of Astra Zeneca vaccine

Astra Zeneca say its autumn before they have a modified Vaccine

What next?

Well I'm due my vaccine tomorrow in UK, sure hope I get the right one. :Caught:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Even if you get the Astra Zeneca one it will protect against earlier variants as well as the new more contagious British Variant (just not the South African Variant).

IMHO that's a hell of a lot better than nothing at this point in time.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic