Vaccination Passport

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

When an immigration officer scans your passport at the port of entry, the embedded information is checked against a global database.  An add-on fee that is part of the price of your international ticket pays for the system.  The easiest way is to simply add your vaccination record to the database.  Unfortunately, you can't make money this way so they will market either a phone app or a paper version like the Yellow Fever vaccination cards which most countries no long require.  Think $10 or $20 per person multiplied by hundreds of millions traveling.

The experts don't know if a person who has already been vaccinated can still spread the virus.  As a precaution, the experts want vaccinated individuals to continue wearing a mask, practice social distance and frequently wash their hands.  The initial research seems to indicate the risk of spreading the virus is minimal or non-existent, but we have to wait for the final results to be published.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Like I've said before, and there talking about it, on your passport chip. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Like I've said before, and there talking about it, on your passport chip. :thumbsup:

Can they write to that chip after you have been issued the passport?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Can they write to that chip after you have been issued the passport?

Yes mate.  Your entire travel history is updated on the chip every time an immigration officer scans it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Got it!

My wife and I received our first vaccination for Covid-19 this morning.  It started with an online health questionnaire and a request as to what time is convenient for us.  The whole process took 22 minutes from arrival at the hospital, including 15 minutes wait at a monitored seating room to make sure no adverse reaction, to exit.  The experience is similar to getting a flu shot.  No paperwork because of the online questionnaire.  We had to show our government identity cards as proof of eligibility (65 years+ in California).

The vaccine is free and the federal government will reimburse the hospital for administering it.  However, private clinics and hospitals can add fees which our insurance will pay.  There are no additional fees by public health service providers.  Although already eligible to receive the first vaccine earlier, there are horror stories that some had to wait four or five hours for their turn.  

Next is a second shot in three weeks followed by two more weeks to achieve full immunity.  Thereafter, the CDC guideline states you can get exposed to someone with Covid-19 and there is no need to quarantine for 15 days.  We will still be required to wear masks in public, practice social distancing, frequently wash our hands, etc.  

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

there is no need to quarantine for 15 days. 

JJ I am afraid you are under some kind of denial/misapprehension here, Quarantine is still Mandatory in Manila and will be for some time to come BTW can I also ask what Status you have if you are trying to get into the Philippines? Should you wish to come to Negros for instance there will be another Period also, I would suggest you back read many of the Posts here My Friend on this issue :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

JJ I am afraid you are under some kind of denial/misapprehension here, Quarantine is still Mandatory in Manila and will be for some time to come BTW can I also ask what Status you have if you are trying to get into the Philippines? Should you wish to come to Negros for instance there will be another Period also, I would suggest you back read many of the Posts here My Friend on this issue :tiphat:

Sorry.  My reference was to the United States Center for Disease Control (CDC) policy.  For example, when we returned from Greece in April 2020, we were asked to quarantine for 14 days.  If we are to travel overseas in 2021 and return, the new guideline means we won't have to quarantine after effective vaccinations.  At the present time, quarantine is a requirement for US arrivals.  Nationals of certain countries are banned from even entering.  But government policies continually change.

Being born in Manila and a former Philippine passport holder, I can claim Balikbayan status.  The privilege extends to my wife.  We can stay up to one year.  The Balikbayan program was reinstated February 1, 2021.  My idea is long stay such as one month in Metro Manila, one month in Boracay, one month in Baguio.  Tentative schedule is to start traveling this April.  Currently, the Philippines requires 6 or 7 nights at a Manila quarantine hotel plus Covid-19 testing.  Testing and paperwork are required for visiting Boracay.  I haven't researched Baguio since the rules may change by June.

Europe is still under lockdown and may not re-open for travel until the fall.  Great Britain is another possible travel destination because optimistically, they can achieve herd immunity by summer.  Our goal is to return to full time on the road after one year "sheltering in place" in San Diego, CA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, TerryP said:

I would think airports are on a different internet system to what they give us as free WiFi

How they will make the passport system work globally I haven't got a clue. Surely there is a method of getting all of the different national 'ours is better than yours systems' to operate alongside eachother.

I don't care how they do it. I want to turn up at the airport show it to a scanner and on my way

The devil is always in the detail, Terry.  

Take the vaccine approval system as an example - each and every country wants to have its own approval system. This means resources are "wasted" when they could be better diverted to getting vaccines into people's arms.  

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

The devil is always in the detail, Terry.  

Take the vaccine approval system as an example - each and every country wants to have its own approval system. This means resources are "wasted" when they could be better diverted to getting vaccines into people's arms.  

Agreed on the above HK

This Vaccine passport it seems to me the technology is already in place so not starting from square one

Silence the "conscientious objectors" and salve the national egos job done. Simple!

Or perhaps not

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Agreed on the above HK

This Vaccine passport it seems to me the technology is already in place so not starting from square one

Silence the "conscientious objectors" and salve the national egos job done. Simple!

Or perhaps not

Of course, we can leave it to the WHO to identify and implement a universal approach, can't we? :whistling:

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic