Vaccination Passport

Terry P
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Explorer said:

Maybe you did not notice but the app that IATA is developing for air travel is not called "Vaccination passport",  they named it "Travel Pass". Why? I will let you figure it out...

No need to worry about syringe shortages. The amount of needles you're jabbing in you must have enough to vaccinate everyone

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Riddle me this.... the WHO, the medical experts, and the press have been hammering home that the vaccine does not prevent people from catching the disease and spreading it... OK, got it. So if thats true... then whats the purpose in asking for proof of a vaccine to get a "Vaccine Passport" to get on a plane?  Aren't people who have taken the vaccine now just spreaders like all the asymptomatic people the experts say spread it unknowingly today?  

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

Riddle me this.... the WHO, the medical experts, and the press have been hammering home that the vaccine does not prevent people from catching the disease and spreading it... OK, got it. So if thats true... then whats the purpose in asking for proof of a vaccine to get a "Vaccine Passport" to get on a plane?  Aren't people who have taken the vaccine now just spreaders like all the asymptomatic people the experts say spread it unknowingly today?  

At the start they couldn't prove or disprove anything about transmission. That's starting to develop now as testing and the rollout progresses and it's been discovered that the Vaccine does at least reduce transmission To what extent is not conclusive. Whether it stops certain people transmitting totally or reduces the viral load in everyone so they can't transmit to the point of infection has not been proven yet.

Until they arrive at their conclusion Vaccine passport is useless. Everyone here in the UK who has been vaccinated must still follow the protocol for now

Hope that answers it Joey

Explorer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

You are right... Personally I will be more comfortable flying with passengers who were tested negative before boarding the airplane than flying with passengers who were not tested but got vaccinated 8-10 months ago...

For this reason, as I mentioned before, IATA is not calling it "Vaccination Passport", it is "IATA Travel Pass". With all the covid variants around, it is relatively easy to roll out new adapted PCR tests, no so much with vaccine, once the vaccine is in your body, you need to wait for the next vaccine formulation to be protected again. (same as the yearly flu vaccine).

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Tomorrow I'm lucky enough (depending on your opinion) to get my 2nd shot. Wife is too young by a few years and has to wait.  I mentioned the vaccine passport concept to her... she pretty much said if I get any kind of "vaccine passport" that gives me permission to roam freely... she will burn it :7481:

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Joey G said:

My guess is everyone on the plane will be vaccinated so even if in the minute possibility they suffer from symptoms the receiving countries health service will not be burdened by them, and no doubt there will still be a need to be tested prior to boarding to ensure you're not a carrier.  There's already a cheap 15 minute test that they are trying to approve for use. 

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Explorer said:

You are right... Personally I will be more comfortable flying with passengers who were tested negative before boarding the airplane than flying with passengers who were not tested but got vaccinated 8-10 months ago...

For this reason, as I mentioned before, IATA is not calling it "Vaccination Passport", it is "IATA Travel Pass". With all the covid variants around, it is relatively easy to roll out new adapted PCR tests, no so much with vaccine, once the vaccine is in your body, you need to wait for the next vaccine formulation to be protected again. (same as the yearly flu vaccine).

A little while ago you weren't concerned at all about the virus

You're "healthy fit and take your vitamins" why the sudden concern?

When it's proven the risk of transmission through the Vaccine is acceptable a pass whatever label you want to put on it will happen.

Travel pass Vaccine passport same meaning. You ain't got one you aint flying

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Joey G said:

So if thats true... then whats the purpose in asking for proof of a vaccine to get a "Vaccine Passport" to get on a plane? 

The vaccine does not stop everyone whos taken it from being infectious (although it reduces infection rates but there is evidence that it is basically 100% effective in preventing serious disease.

And given that everyone on the planes will be vaccinated (due to the Travel Pass or Vaccine Passport or whatever they call it, name doesn't matter) it therefore follows that none of the people on the plane will end up taking up valuable hospital beds in the destination country.

And when you combine that with testing prior to departure you can also reduce the number of low infectious vaccinated people as well.

All together that results in a much lower risk to the destination country and thats why people are working on this solution.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

We already have the equivalent of a Travel Pass in Hawaii. You must be tested negative... no test and you must quarantine.  Even having a record of the vaccine requires getting tested.

The OP started with a discussion about IATA possibly implementing a system to check for vaccines... the discussion has morphed into discussing travel protocols... no argument on anyone's points... my point is strictly that a vaccinated person can carry the disease unknowingly just as a unvaccinated person who is asymptomatic can. 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic