Query to British Embassy Manila re vaccinations for British citizens.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I thought it would be worth enquiring of the British Embassy in Manila if any provision has been made regarding vaccinations for British citizens currently residing in the Philippines.

Perhaps not surprisingly, there is no such provision. I wonder if other countries embassy’s have made any for their citizens?

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your enquiry of 09/02/2021 01:40 .

The UK government are exploring vaccine options for people in the UK and their response to vaccine development is available to read on GOV.UK along with information about the UK roll out.

If you live abroad, we suggest you approach the authorities in the country where you live for their decisions about vaccines and how they might be developed and  administered.

You can keep up to date about any aspect of living abroad in our country specific Living in Guides.

Please use available links in the guides to register for updates. You will then be sent notifications of these updates as they happen.

We will also update our Foreign Travel Advice pages and please do keep in touch through your Embassy social media sites.  

Please keep well and safe.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

If you live abroad, we suggest you approach the authorities in the country where you live for their decisions about vaccines and how they might be developed and  administered.

I think all nations will answer in the same way. Australian's have one of the best medical care for it's citizens in the world, but of course there are conditions attached for medical treatment when returning from living overseas. Saying that, I'd say you'd have to be in Australia before they'd even consider a vaccine for you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The Aussie government have stated that everyone resident in Australia will be able to access a vaccination whether they're a citizen, permanent resident or temporary stay.

I'm assuming that means that since they'll vaccinate other countries citizens that are here that in return they'll expect the same for their overseas residents (although they haven't spelt that out).

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The Aussie government have stated that everyone resident in Australia will be able to access a vaccination whether they're a citizen, permanent resident or temporary stay.

I'm assuming that means that since they'll vaccinate other countries citizens that are here that in return they'll expect the same for their overseas residents (although they haven't spelt that out).

Probably a good decision. Pointless vaccinating everyone else if us pesky foreigners can still catch it and use up some intensive care beds.

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Once upon a time, as an expat, one could rely on British Embassy to be semi useful.

Those days are long gone.

They outsourced the  UK passports.

They outsourced visa for foreign national going to UK.

They seem to have abandoned the warden system whereby expats in " more difficult " countries could rely on wardens for updated information. I was one in Amman jordan at the time of US/Iraq war when missiles were flying over Jordan en route to Baghdad.

Maybe soon they will outsource their own work....although of course if a Prince Andrew type comes to the country you are in , the embassy goes into overdrive ensuring his Royalness has everything perfectly done. Saw that in Amman and KL.

So as far as expecting any assistance from the local Brit Emb for vaccination assistance I had fairly low expectations.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Freebie said:

So as far as expecting any assistance from the local Brit Emb for vaccination assistance I had fairly low expectations.

Surely it's the responsibility of the host country to take care of vaccinations? Giving vaccines to expats living overseas might be a good PR exercise but won't help control the virus in the home country.  

graham59
Posted
Posted

Needs to be some sort of reciprocal arrangement, I reckon. 

As for our wonderful embassy these days... yes, about as much use as tits on a kipper, :sad:

Having said that, they did witness my marriage 'Affirmation' wotsit, and produced a document acceptable to the local registrar here. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

Needs to be some sort of reciprocal arrangement, I reckon. 

I suspect that eventually there will be amongst first world countries something along those lines but at this point when many countries (even first world ones) don't have enough vaccine... well it's going to be a while for that in most places I suspect.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I suspect that eventually there will be amongst first world countries something along those lines but at this point when many countries (even first world ones) don't have enough vaccine... well it's going to be a while for that in most places I suspect.

I think a reciprocal arrangement can't work if we mean country to country - for example the UK has bashed on with vaccinating yet nothing thus far in the Philippines and this is being replicated everywhere.  I reckon the only reciprocation possible is that every country agrees to vaccinate all residents regardless of nationality, which is clearly the sensible option anyway.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I reckon the only reciprocation possible is that every country agrees to vaccinate all residents regardless of nationality, which is clearly the sensible option anyway.  

I would Agree HK but let's remember where we are and what is thought of us when it suits Over 580 mil  For Vaccine sent from the UK and we are not on any List, Let us all think on this :whistling:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic