Query to British Embassy Manila re vaccinations for British citizens.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, KC813 said:

Very tempting for some, but it depends on each person’s individual situation.  I had this discussion last week with a (senior) friend of mine, so now he is leaving Manila Thursday and hopes to return to Philippines in April after his two jabs. 

Here are some of the factors we discussed for anyone that may be interested.  Of course, this was for the United States - many different issues if returning to some other countries:

Vaccine Availability?  There is no good timeline for getting vaccinated in Ph.  Even if foreigners are treated the same as citizens, my best guess is that even seniors won’t see widespread vaccinations until 2020 Q3 at the very earliest, and it is more likely going to be 2021 Q4.  In the states, depending on the jurisdiction, over 65s are are getting shots now.

Quality of Vaccine:  Only Pfizer and Moderna available in the US for now.  Those are the top choices for me and many people (I know, not everyone!).  

Vaccine Administration:  If using Moderna or Pfizer, some people may have  higher confidence that safety/temperature protocols have been more strictly followed in the US then in some other countries.

Travel to US:  Reasonable restrictions and fares.  US requires a negative test result from a test taken within three calendar days prior to departure (if nonstop flight).  A second test and 10 day quarantine is “suggested” after entry.  Functionally, this time is used to schedule a vaccination appointment (no less then 15 days after arrival).

Timing:  Second vaccine jab 3 or 4 weeks after the first, meaning you will have to be in the US for at least 6 weeks if there was no delay in getting an appointment. 

Returning to Ph:  That’s the wild card.  We know the entry rules now, but who can predict the future?  An open risk.

Downside?

Cost.  Months away from home.  Risk of rule changes delaying return to Philippines. 

Potential Benefit?  No guarantees, but if all goes anywhere close to as planned, will be vaccinated much sooner then if had stayed, with a vaccine he preferred, and with the peace of mind knowing that he now has greatly reduced the chances of becoming severely ill if he contracts Covid-19. 

Again, it is all dependent on personal circumstances and needs.

Tempting indeed for many I'd imagine KC813.

Along with many Filipino people, I'm frustrated and have some anxiety at the uncertainty of the rollout for everyone here. Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I think that  it offered to us it here one way or another. Anyway this is my home here now, and as a permanent resident, in spite of everything I'll hope that along with locals wanting it here in Cebu,  I'll be able to acquire it over time. Hell--I'll even pay for myself and all my Filipino relatives' vaccine if need be! :)

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

As expats I think we are pretty much on our own when it comes to getting the vaccine.  I do expect that the larger for profit hospitals will purchase vaccine and make it available to expats and other willing to pay the cost.  There is money to be made by offering vaccine to expats, especially seniors, and hospitals here are not likely to miss the opportunity to increase profits.   Not altruism, just business.  

I'm with you on that Mike J. There's always a workaround and particularly in Cebu that might be the case. :)

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Tempting indeed for many I'd imagine KC813.

Along with many Filipino people, I'm frustrated and have some anxiety at the uncertainty of the rollout for everyone here. Call me a cockeyed optimist, but I think that  it offered to us it here one way or another. Anyway this is my home here now, and as a permanent resident, in spite of everything I'll hope that along with locals wanting it here in Cebu,  I'll be able to acquire it over time. Hell--I'll even pay for myself and all my Filipino relatives' vaccine if need be! :)

I agree with your optimism that it will be offered to everyone.  From watching the congressional hearings and pressers, rollout is going to be a huge hodgepodge of methods, providers, facilitators and suppliers, with a handful of authorized corporate line-jumpers.  There will be tons of glitches for a few months, just as there is in much of the US or in any country without a strong central government or national healthcare system.

There has been talk of various registry systems, or tying to incorporate a national ID into the mix, but no plan seems to have gotten much traction.

With all the varied distribution paths being planned, I'm betting that all foreigners in the Ph will eventually have access to the vaccine, but they may just have to be more proactive in searching it out, tracking down and being in the right place at the right time! 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

As with almost everything here, the rollout programme will be headlined at the national level and then amended at the local level.

As to foreigners getting it, for once I'm optimistic we will as I think the political fallout would be a risk. We may have to pay but given the relatively low cost I'm sure it will be manageable for most. It's quite possible that areas with a lot of foreigners will have one policy but places with few will give all as it's not worth the effort trying to separate the groups.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yes I agree all foreigner's will have to pay, just think of the drama if a foreigner gets the jab before a national. Anyway once they start rolling it out the wife has put aside for her immediate family to get jabbed, cheaper than a burial. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Yes I agree all foreigner's will have to pay, just think of the drama if a foreigner gets the jab before a national. Anyway once they start rolling it out the wife has put aside for her immediate family to get jabbed, cheaper than a burial. :thumbsup:

Hi Clermont,:smile:  It's probable I agree that if eligible, foreigners will most likely be required to pay for theirs. I think presently the vaccines will be made available for all Filipinos who want it, at no cost.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:I think presently the vaccines will be made available for all Filipinos who want it, at no cost.

No cost , just remember to vote for me in the next local election 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Many a true word spoken in jest, Steve!

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Just an afterthought, I wonder how many illegal's will get caught if they inoculate using passport and visas as proof of stay. :89:  

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

Actually Steve,  This decision was handed down by the President and federal government, not a local decision. There are so many incredibly poor folks here as we all know, that could never shoulder the cost of vaccines for themselves and their families. In order to reach herd immunity, the government has to make vaccines accessible and free to all.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic