Query to British Embassy Manila re vaccinations for British citizens.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Actually Steve,  This decision was handed down by the President and federal government, not a local decision. There are so many incredibly poor folks here as we all know, that could never shoulder the cost of vaccines for themselves and their families. In order to reach herd immunity, the government has to make vaccines accessible and free to all.

I agree Queenie, but fear that with the natural suspicion people here have of vaccines (or so I've heard) then it will take some time to get to herd immunity.  It might take some form of creative "compulsory" system of sorts to kick it in the right direction.  Being free would be an absolute prerequisite.  

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I agree Queenie, but fear that with the natural suspicion people here have of vaccines (or so I've heard) then it will take some time to get to herd immunity.  It might take some form of creative "compulsory" system of sorts to kick it in the right direction.  Being free would be an absolute prerequisite.  

Oh I'm sure HK Blues.  Cebu has fallen far short of keeping up with childrens' vaccines. and people are all the more suspicious since the Dengvaxia scare. The governments lack of ready funds for the purchase pf Covid vaccines, will really set back the ability to get herd immunity here for a while too I think.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Oh I'm sure HK Blues.  Cebu has fallen far short of keeping up with childrens' vaccines. and people are all the more suspicious since the Dengvaxia scare.

I found widespread suspicion amongst the less educated and poorer members of the extended family about vaccines and many of them do not take advantage of the free vaccines that are available at the barangay during the health clinics.

I made it a condition for agreeing to be 'ninong' to two of the babies over the last few years that the parents would be agree to getting the babies vaccinated.  This was done with the support of family members that are educated (couple of teachers and a radio announcer and a real estate agent).

The Dengvaxia scare was specifically mentioned as the reason for the vaccine hesitancy.

*edited for clarity

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic