Heavy rain on it's way

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Had one of the small interisland freighters drop anchor in the harbor last night.  I expect there will be a couple more take shelter before the storm passes.

Now that it is daylight I was able to view the ship with my telescope.  I is actually a RORO ferry.  Most likely one of the ferries that move between Cebu and Negros.

Edited by Mike J
Daylight viewing of ship
  • Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

It's pretty calm right now here in our area. Rained a bit earlier, but just light wind now. We'll see how it goes..

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

It's pretty calm right now here in our area. Rained a bit earlier, but just light wind now. We'll see how it goes..

Same in Moalboal.  Calm before the storm? 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Same in Moalboal.  Calm before the storm? 

Tropical Storm Auring (Dujuan) is almost stationary at 475 kilometers east southeast of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur, early Saturday, February 20.

Visayas will get hit tomorrow.

Tropical Storm Auring slightly weakens but heavy rain ...

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Mike J said:

Had one of the small interisland freighters drop anchor in the harbor last night.  I expect there will be a couple more take shelter before the storm passes.

Now that it is daylight I was able to view the ship with my telescope.  I is actually a RORO ferry.  Most likely one of the ferries that move between Cebu and Negros.

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/364343/304-passengers-stranded-after-suspension-of-sea-trips-in-cebu

CEBU CITY, Philippines —  The Coast Guard District in Central Visayas said 304 passengers were stranded in Cebu while 67 others are stuck in Negros Oriental as of February 20, 2021, due to Tropical Storm Auring.

Other than the stranded passengers, there are also 85 rolling cargoes, 21 vessels, and 1 MBCA or motor bancas licensed by MARINA that were not permitted to travel in Cebu. Aside from these, 13 vessels and 15 MBCAs are also taking shelter in different ports in Central Visayas.

As per the 5 p.m. weather update of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), Auring will dump heavy rains over CARAGA and Eastern Visayas tonight, February 20.

The state weather bureau also forecasted that on Sunday, February 21, areas over Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte, and Eastern Visayas will experience moderate to heavy rains. Light to moderate with at times heavy rains will also be experienced over Northern Mindanao, Bicol Region, MIMAROPA, Quezon, and the rest of Visayas and Caraga.

Due to the heavy rains and winds that Auring may bring, the Coast Guard Station Central Visayas has temporarily suspended sea trips for all types of vessels plying in some areas of Visayas and Mindanao.

Wells Ruth Quisto, one of the stranded passengers in Pier 1, told CDN Digital that she and her daughter were already inside a boat bound for Surigao last night, February, 19 when they were informed that their trip was suspended.

Quisto and her daughter are currently renting a space in Lahug as they prepare for their trip to Tayaga Claver, Surigao del Norte when the weather permits.

“Gahapon (7 p.m.) unta amo larga unya na postpone, pagka Lunes na sab daw,” Quisto said.

PO3 Mark Alob, substation commander of Task Force Aduana, said that the PCG team is prepared to respond to any contingency that may happen. /rcg

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Still two RORO in the harbor at Sunday morning 06:30.  The second was somewhat hidden from my view when I posted the earlier thread.  

image.png

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Storm pretty much a no show here, after looking ominous on friday.  Looks like it veered out and maybe hit the tip of Cebu on Bantayan Island. Now I'll have to put back all my pots, and rehang all my windchimes! :laugh:Well good news after all.

Hope everyone in their areas fared well too.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Storm pretty much a no show here, after looking ominous on friday.  Looks like it veered out and maybe hit the tip of Cebu on Bantayan Island. Now I'll have to put back all my pots, and rehang all my windchimes! :laugh:Well good news after all.

Here's the latest information. Looks like it's changed direction.

151959663_3522866431156856_2309719835527260631_o.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

PAGASA

Tropical Storm "Auring" (Issued at 08:00 am, 21 February 2021)

Tropical storm "auring" slightly decelerates while moving towards the west-northwest.

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

No rain so far here in Sibonga but the windchimes are getting a workout.

• Like 1