Electrics

jimeve
Posted
Posted

G'day, due to the heavy rainfall last night some water got in from our fire wall and short circuit the second floor lights. We have an electrician in now but struggling to find the problem.

He checked all the lights and switches but can't find the problem. Water has got in somewhere but can't locate it.

I said to him, maybe when it drys out it will be okay. Just made him laugh.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

G'day, due to the heavy rainfall last night some water got in from our fire wall and short circuit the second floor lights. We have an electrician in now but struggling to find the problem.

He checked all the lights and switches but can't find the problem. Water has got in somewhere but can't locate it.

I said to him, maybe when it drys out it will be okay. Just made him laugh.

I suggest locating all the junction boxes you - or he - can for that second floor circuit. Keep the power off and use a continuity tester (on any standard voltmeter) and check between wires in the boxes and outlets in the affected area. Look for water or moisture in any walls or on floors.

Sorry that's not much help, but that's what I would be doing....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Hi Jim, sorry for your troubles.

The fact it is the second floor circuit it could well dry out, but only till the next time!

If no wetness was found at the light points or swiches, I would presume he has checked the fusebox which feeds the upper circuit.

Obviously all that and futher checks should be done with the power off. Any appliances wet could trigger the fuse to go.

Wish you luck with it mate. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

The fact it is the second floor circuit it could well dry out, but only till the next time!

If it was me I would be looking for the water ingress point :mellow:

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

If it was me I would be looking for the water ingress point :mellow:

I think it might be where the wall and roof meet, only had a guy last month to fix it. Water gets in and travels down the wall. Also found some cracks on the external wall, water might be getting in there too.

Needs scaffolding putting up to do the outside and at the highest point is 50 feet not many builders have that. When It was being built they used bamboo tied together, not happy with that. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Needs scaffolding putting up to do the outside and at the highest point is 50 feet not many builders have that. When It was being built they used bamboo tied together, not happy with that. 

Jim Mate, can you not do it from the inside ?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Jim Mate, can you not do it from the inside ?

No, the cracks are on the rendering on the outside, somehow water is getting through to the hollow-blocks and running down the wall. I can see the cracks but my ladders not big enough. 

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Yep, it probably will work when it dries. Sometimes when you get a short circuit it will weld a permanent short between the + and the -.  If thats happens it will keep shorting till fixed.

On the leakage...besides getting to the source causing the electrical problem, you want to seal the leak source to make sure you don't have mold growing between the walls... it may take a lot of water leaking to short the  electric... but a smaller amount leaking through could create a pocket of moisture that you can't see, and over time... could cause mold.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Any decent electrician would have a live cable detector

Not many of them have that, they don`t even have the screwdriver type to check if something is live. People here will often sell their tools after each job and hope the new boss buys new.

• Like 4