Electrics

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You only need a small crack in the rendering or at a roof junction and with the amount of rain we have water will find a way in. Once this starts it will get sucked in as the dryness inside acts like a sponge and draws it in. Sometimes just re painting the walls can work but you need a good trades man to work it out where the penetration is coming from. If you see a damp spot somewhere it does not mean the leak is in that area as water follows the easiest route and could be coming in 10 feet away. Good luck Jim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

If the breaker pops you have a short.  If the breaker is closed but lost the circuit you have an open/break in that circuit somewhere.   Curious, did you get your pump problem solved?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jimeve said:

the cracks are on the rendering on the outside, somehow water is getting through to the hollow-blocks and running down the wall.

Yep.  I had that problem.  Turns out concrete walls are not necessarily waterproof and it can be a son of a gun figuring out how the water is getting into the wall.  In my case it was the neighbor with an adjoining wall.  His roof was leaking and the water was coming through the wall to my side.  Best of luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Mike J said:

If the breaker pops you have a short.  If the breaker is closed but lost the circuit you have an open/break in that circuit somewhere.   Curious, did you get your pump problem solved?

They cut a bit of wiring from the lighting circuit I think. :hystery:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

We did, lasted a week. Took the capacitor out and got it tested it was low. Got a replacement same Voltage and uf. 

I will let the sparky put it back.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yep.  I had that problem.  Turns out concrete walls are not necessarily waterproof and it can be a son of a gun figuring out how the water is getting into the wall.  In my case it was the neighbor with an adjoining wall.  His roof was leaking and the water was coming through the wall to my side.  Best of luck with that.

So sorry you are having this issue, Jim...

Concrete is very porous - especially the hollow block walls here in Philippines. It acts almost like river stones or gravel and - as others have already stated - wicks the water through from wet to dry...

Helluva good reason - when possible - to not have adjoining wall homes. But, I realize that is very common here due to the tiny property lot sizes and cannot always be helped... Just another thing to worry about?

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Things have got worse, all the power in the house has gone. Checked the breakers and they're Good. Writing  this in the dark.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

There should be a MAIN breaker that controls the whole breaker box...  IF that breaker is open... everything would be OFF. Sometimes a tripped breaker looks like it's ON, just a tad below the ON position. When a breaker is tripped, you have to push it OFF and then back ON.

With the problems you have had, not sure I would recommend doing it yourself though.  If you do, be sure you turn EVERYTHING in the house OFF, reset the breaker, and then turn things on one a a time.... if the main breaker opens again... STOP and get an electrician before doing anything else.

• Like 5

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Joey G said:

There should be a MAIN breaker that controls the whole breaker box...  IF that breaker is open... everything would be OFF. Sometimes a tripped breaker looks like it's ON, just a tad below the ON position. When a breaker is tripped, you have to push it OFF and then back ON.

With the problems you have had, not sure I would recommend doing it yourself though.  If you do, be sure you turn EVERYTHING in the house OFF, reset the breaker, and then turn things on one a a time.... if the main breaker opens again... STOP and get an electrician before doing anything else.

Power back on, power came back on by it's self. There is a main breaker where the service drop enters the property, that was not tripped.

We have  3 breakers on each floor and none were tripped. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Power back on, power came back on by it's self.

Jim Mate, it may be time to have your Transformer checked over, your problem may be there. Just a thought

• Like 1