Electrics

jimeve
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Jim Mate, it may be time to have your Transformer checked over, your problem may be there. Just a thought

Could be, Jack. The guest house uses the same power from our transformer was not affected. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jimeve said:

The guest house uses the same power from our transformer was not affected. 

Did you had a problem there before though, just thinking aloud here, if nothing trips seems nothing getting through but if the Guest house was Ok then I don't know but still a good idea to have the Transformer checked, could have lost Oil and got overloaded/ overheated and cut out as I said Mate just a thought, if I get a chance I will talk to one of the Engineers to see what they say.:smile:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Power back on, power came back on by it's self. There is a main breaker where the service drop enters the property, that was not tripped.

Perhaps your total power failure was an electric company outage? You might ask any neighbours if they had a black out? But, of course, that does not fix or address your second floor power loss. If breakers were not tripped, then it sure sounds like a weak connection with one of the many "twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape" parts of your wiring.

The possibly good news is that it does not sound like you have a possibly fire-causing short circuit?

Correction:

Ah... I see that your guest house was unaffected? Hmmm... that is a bit of a worrisome situation, if the main house went dark then powered up again? Have you looked inside your main circuit panel (don't touch anything!) to see if there are any obvious signs of water or critter activity? Just another thought, Jim...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Perhaps your total power failure was an electric company outage? You might ask any neighbours if they had a black out? But, of course, that does not fix or address your second floor power loss. If breakers were not tripped, then it sure sounds like a weak connection with one of the many "twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape" parts of your wiring.

The possibly good news is that it does not sound like you have a possibly fire-causing short circuit?

We checked the neighbors house's and they had power. Plus our guest-house had power.

I'm convinced it's something to do with water in the firewall. Power from the electric company enters the house is buried in the fire wall and that has water inside the wall. Maybe the water dried out enough for the power to come back on.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

I'm convinced it's something to do with water in the firewall. Power from the electric company enters the house is buried in the fire wall and that has water inside the wall. Maybe the water dried out enough for the power to come back on.

Well, Jim, my unprofessional advice is that you might seriously consider finding a qualified electrician (if there are any in your area) as soon as possible to visit your wiring. Be prepared that this might entail rather invasive work - chipping out cement - to trace the issues you are having. So sorry you have to deal with this.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Did you had a problem there before though, just thinking aloud here, if nothing trips seems nothing getting through but if the Guest house was Ok then I don't know but still a good idea to have the Transformer checked, could have lost Oil and got overloaded/ overheated and cut out as I said Mate just a thought, if I get a chance I will talk to one of the Engineers to see what they say.:smile:

Jack, I could do with the transformer checked and the rest of the electrics checked too. If you could ask an engineer to have a look. I'm sure the problem is the firewall being water logged, but....

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Well, Jim, my unprofessional advice is that you might seriously consider finding a qualified electrician (if there are any in your area) as soon as possible to visit your wiring. Be prepared that this might entail rather invasive work - chipping out cement - to trace the issues you are having. So sorry you have to deal with this.

Qualified electricians are like hens teeth around here, thanks for the advice Tommy.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jimeve said:

We checked the neighbors house's and they had power. Plus our guest-house had power.

Does transformer have fuse?

All transformers are connected to the common secondary circuit through secondary fuses. The purpose of these fuses is to disconnect a faulty transformer from the secondary circuit.

Jim it could be that you Transformer fuse got over wet and went into safe mode ( shutting down the transformer for a while) with just enough power for the nearest line,ie the Guest house, Why dry maybe resetting itself to safe Load apparently this can Happen, if it happens again then ,for me, get it checked  :smile:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Does transformer have fuse?

All transformers are connected to the common secondary circuit through secondary fuses. The purpose of these fuses is to disconnect a faulty transformer from the secondary circuit.

Jim it could be that you Transformer fuse got over wet and went into safe mode ( shutting down the transformer for a while) with just enough power for the nearest line,ie the Guest house, Why dry maybe resetting itself to safe Load apparently this can Happen, if it happens again then ,for me, get it checked  :smile:

The transformer is hung on a pole that Noreco service drop is connected. Then the line comes into our garden.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Jack, I could do with the transformer checked and the rest of the electrics checked too. If you could ask an engineer to have a look. I'm sure the problem is the firewall being water logged, but....

The Transformer you need to contact Noreco II, After the Meter will be down to you I am afraid. If nothing has Tripped then I tend to think you are being starved from the Transformer that has closed down to protect itself, Best of Luck mate such is life, I have asked for some advice for you but all my contacts are out I think but may have an answer later :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1