New system to keep bad guys out

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I wonder if mistakes will be made with people who have a  similar name to someone else.

26 February 2021
PRESS RELEASE
IRR for advanced passenger information system okayed-BI
The Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced the approval by the Department of Justice (DOJ) of the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) for the advanced passenger information system (APIS) which aims to strengthen the country’s border security.  
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente disclosed that Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra approved the APIS’ IRR in January, and that the same was already published in a newspaper of national circulation.  
Adopted through an executive order that President Rodrigo Duterte issued last Dec. 15, APIS involves the electronic transmission to the BI by the airlines of the names and personal details of their passengers and crew members prior to their arrival or departure in the country.
This will enable the BI to conduct in advance security vetting of international travelers so that those with derogatory record, such as international terrorists and wanted foreign fugitives, will be prevented from boarding their flights to the Philippines right at their ports of origin.
Morente said the BI will launch the APIS as soon as technical issues are ironed out to ensure the successful implementation of the scheme.
Documents show that the BI has created the APIS Operations Center (APOC) last February 19 to oversee the implementation of the project.
Once operational, the APIS will relieve both the airlines and the BI of the burden of having to turn back or exclude undesirable aliens upon arriving in our airports and board them on the first available flight to their port of origin.
If an incoming traveler listed in the manifest registers a derogatory hit in the BI database, the bureau will immediately inform and instruct the airline not to board the passenger on his flight.
“The system would allow BI to receive specific data from arriving passengers,” said Morente.  “Apart from checking derogatory records, we will be able to use data to investigate the possible entry of illegal aliens through early detection of red flags,” he added.
Through the APIS, the BI said that they would be able to analyze travel patterns, pre-check booking details, and know actual ports of origin.  Said data, according to the BI, would be helpful in restricting the entry of unwanted aliens in the country.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My last name is the second most common in the USA and first name is number four.  My name is on the list of air passengers who get "extra attention" at check in (to include anyone flying with me) because it is on the no fly list.  Someone with my name in the Philippines has an extensive rap sheet and the police are wanting to "speak" with him in connection with a homicide.   Makes for interesting conversations when speaking with a Philippine detective.  :Caught:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

very time I have been for an NBI clearance I have been flagged. When I asked I was told "oh we do that to all foreigners." Can you imagine the line at the entry points.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

the airlines of the names and personal details of their passengers and crew members prior to their arrival or departure in the country.

Hmmmm, seems to me that they want the airlines to do BOI and the State Departments job. That is what visa issuance is all about...Screen out undesirables. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Good news for female undesirables then - looking at the wording it only applies to males - "...his flight".

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I know that if I was an international terrorist or wanted foreign fugitive, I'd be using my real name to travel. Gosh, I bet they'll catch all sorts of international bad guys!

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

Hmmmm, seems to me that they want the airlines to do BOI and the State Departments job. That is what visa issuance is all about...Screen out undesirables. 

It sounds like it's part of the MJFR initiative. You know, More Jobs For Relatives.

• Haha 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It's OK.  They slipped a clause into the system.

" Morente said the BI will launch the APIS as soon as technical issues are ironed out to ensure the successful implementation of the scheme."

That should take a few years. :whistling:

If its anything like the imm8gration office in Manila parts of which are running windows XP

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Mike J said:

My last name is the second most common in the USA and first name is number four.

Hi John Doe :whistling:

• Haha 3