A new possible medication to treat Covid

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, TerryP said:
On 3/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, TerryP said:

You're wasting your time and effort HK

MHRA, JCVI, here in the UK, EMA the European regulator and the WHO in addition to a study by Astra Zeneca themselves (nonprofit Vaccine) have publicly made it known there is no link between blood clots and the Vaccine

Haven't seen a single mention of this on here.

I repeat

Unfortunately it is more common to read/see/hear negative news rather than positive.   Not sure why that is but it does make it a challenge to find information when there are so many divergent views.  Some of the views are indeed based on an abundance of caution (like this one), while others are others are based on bat shit crazy conspiracy theories. 

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Unfortunately it is more common to read/see/hear negative news rather than positive.   Not sure why that is but it does make it a challenge to find information when there are so many divergent views.  Some of the views are indeed based on an abundance of caution (like this one), while others are others are based on bat shit crazy conspiracy theories. 

I'm fed up with quoting the findings of medical science by the world's appointed bodies

As far as I'm concerned the monkeys on here can run the zoo

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, TerryP said:

I'm fed up with quoting the findings of medical science by the world's appointed bodies

As far as I'm concerned the monkeys on here can run the zoo

Don't let the doorknob hit ya!

Everyone here is free to have their say.  Everyone is encouraged to read what others have written.  No one is asked to run the zoo.  We're fine thanks.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

More of the latest from the chimps.  This one says the vaccine is safe and effective.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/safe-and-effective-astrazeneca-oxford-university-covid-19-vaccine-gets-green-light-from-europe-s-top-drug-regulator/ar-BB1eJEna

Europe's top drug regulator on Thursday said the AstraZeneca-Oxford University COVID-19 vaccine is safe, despite reports of unusual blood clots in a small number of the nearly 18 million people who have received at least one dose in Europe and the U.K.

a person wearing a blue hat: A medical worker draws up a dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine during the vaccination of priests in Kiev, Ukraine on March 16, 2021.© AFP via Getty Images A medical worker draws up a dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine during the vaccination of priests in Kiev, Ukraine on March 16, 2021.
"The committee has come to a clear scientific conclusion," said Emer Cooke, executive director of the European Medicines Agency. "This is a safe and effective vaccine."

Researchers with the EMA – the European equivalent of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration – said they can't rule out the possibility that the few dozen cases of blood clots and related disorders were triggered by the shot.

But overall, the vaccine is safe can be delivered across Europe and elsewhere, Cooke said.

More than a dozen European countries including Germany, France and Italy have paused giving the AstraZeneca-Oxford University vaccine or banned the use of particular batches, pending the EMA's review.

It's not clear whether and how quickly those countries might resume distributing the vaccine.

The AstraZeneca-Oxford University vaccine is not available in the United States, where a large-scale trial has been completed but not yet made public. That data is expected within the next few weeks, and the company and university are then expected to ask for FDA authorization.

None of the vaccines available in the U.S. have been linked to unusual numbers of blood clots or related problems, although at least one American apparently died of a similar condition after receiving a different COVID-19 vaccine.

COVID-19 itself is known to cause blood clots and other vascular problems. 

EMA scientists said Thursday that the data on the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine remains inconclusive, but that any clotting problems, if related to the vaccine, are so rare that they shouldn't stop people from getting it.

'It's easy to scare people': Europe's decision to pull AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine threatens global COVID-19 recovery efforts, US experts say

The EMA did recommend adding a warning to the information provided to patients and health care providers about the possible connection between vaccination and vascular issues.

The number of blood clots seen among Europeans who received the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine was lower than would be expected over the same period in the general population, EMA scientists said. About 100,000 Europeans would be expected to develop clots every month, so some would be expected to occur among the 7 million Europeans who have received the vaccine. 

"There is no increase in overall risk of blood clots with this vaccine," said Sabine Straus, chair of the EMA's Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee, which reviewed the data. "These cases occur always and they also will occur in temporal relationship with the vaccination."

By preventing infection with COVID-19, the vaccine probably reduces the number of blood clots, she said.

The EMA also carefully examined the cases of seven people who developed tiny clots in multiple blood vessels in the first week or two after a shot, a condition called disseminating intravascular coagulation, and 18 people who developed clots in blood vessels draining blood from the brain, which is called cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, or CVST. These conditions are linked to having low levels of blood platelets, also known as thrombocytopenia.

"The evidence we have is at the moment not sufficient to conclude with certainty whether these adverse events were indeed caused by the vaccine," Straus said.

In addition to adding the warning information, Straus said her agency would closely track any future reports of these types of problems with the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine or any of the other three authorized for use in Europe.

There was no indication that these events were linked to a particular batch of the vaccine or a quality issue, she said.

Hans Kluge, the World Health Organization's regional director for Europe, said Thursday in a news conference the benefits of the vaccine "far outweigh its risk" and the international body continued to urge countries not to stop using the vaccine. 

The pauses in vaccination across Europe came as COVID-19 infections were accelerating, prompting new lockdowns in Italy, France and Poland. Vaccination coverage in the region has lagged behind the U.S., where 75 million people have been vaccinated at least once, and Britain, where more than 27 million people have had a first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

American vaccine scientists have criticized the pause in use of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine, accusing European countries of over-reacting and damaging the global vaccination effort by raising unnecessary fears.

Several vaccine experts, speaking on a Thursday call with reporters, said they agreed with the EMA's interpretation of the data but worried that a formal warning label added to the vaccine could dampen enthusiasm for the shots at a time when the virus continues to rage out of control.

Dr. Paul Offit, one of three members of the COVID-19 Vaccine Analysis Team on the call, said he thinks the European countries should resume using the vaccine.

"If there was just an abundance of other vaccines that that people could use in that European community, then I could understand it. But I personally think they should take it off of this hold," said Offit, also director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. 

Offit said he's concerned that the warning label could reinforce concerns some people have about vaccines, but Dr. Jesse Goodman, a professor of medicine at Georgetown University, said he thinks the transparency will promote knowledge and vigilance. 

"I think EMA's position, which is to allow informed immunization while this continues to be investigated, is a reasonable assessment of risk and benefit based on the current situation," Goodman said. "You have thousands of people dying every day in the European Union... . As information evolves, we'll learn more, and I think transparency and honesty with the public is always the best approach, even though it's often difficult to explain."

Terry P
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2021 at 12:37 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Everyone here is free to have their say.  Everyone is encouraged to read what others have written.  No one is asked to run the zoo.  We're fine thanks.

Was going to pop my head round the door and let you know the results of the EMA recommendations regarding the Astra Zeneca vaccine but it seems Mike beat me to it

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 3/16/2021 at 4:22 AM, GeoffH said:

Yes, the link between obestity and bad Covid outcomes has been known for months.

That doesn't mean that fatty who lives down the road should be exposed to something that could quite possibly kill him just because his mate slim from up the road doesn't want to wear a mask or social distance.

Has been known for months but apparently not many cares judging by the dismissive response I received when I was suggesting months ago that healthy diet, exercise, not smoking and taking vitamins (C, D, Zinc) as tools to fight covid.

Be careful out there.

"Italian researchers have discovered that healthcare workers with obesity produced only about half the amount of antibodies in response to a second dose of the jab compared with healthy people. Although it is too soon to know what this means for the efficacy of the vaccine, it might imply that people with obesity need an additional booster dose to ensure they are adequately protected against coronavirus."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/28/pfizer-vaccine-less-effective-obesity-study

• Haha 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Explorer said:

Has been known for months but apparently not many cares judging by the dismissive response I received when I was suggesting months ago that healthy diet, exercise, not smoking and taking vitamins (C, D, Zinc) as tools to fight covid.

Be careful out there.

"Italian researchers have discovered that healthcare workers with obesity produced only about half the amount of antibodies in response to a second dose of the jab compared with healthy people. Although it is too soon to know what this means for the efficacy of the vaccine, it might imply that people with obesity need an additional booster dose to ensure they are adequately protected against coronavirus."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/28/pfizer-vaccine-less-effective-obesity-study

Might be more effective to give the fatties an extra jab rather than putting them on crash diets, force feeding them pills and compulsory route marches

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 3/18/2021 at 12:37 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is there a lock on the door 

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Explorer said:

Come on now Explorer, there is a fair amount of disagreement over vaccine, etc.  But I do not believe anyone here would disagree that a healthy life style would be an advantage to fight covid or any other disease. 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic