Covid, devastating effect on Philippines tourism.

fred
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Not to be nosy, but can you define "dirt cheap".  My wife and I bought a 1247 meter lot on the main road going from Moalboal to Panagsama about 10 years ago.  Price was 600 peso per square.  Built a house for the wife's parents so they could finish out their lives in some measure of comfort.  

image.png

We paid 150 Peso per sqr mtr back then and that is on Panglao island.
The prices here are now ridiculous. Lowest in our area is 4K per s/m for titled  land with complete access and anything near a beach 15-20K per S/M with varying prices in between. Mad!

• Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted

Like all of us that lease or own Hotels and residential apartment businesses here,
the economic effects of the Chinese virus has been pretty devastating.
Last year the income from tourism was Zero.
This year the Municipal taxes were the same as 2019!!  More fun in the Philippines alright.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fred said:

We paid 150 Peso per sqr mtr back then and that is on Panglao island.
The prices here are now ridiculous. Lowest in our area is 4K per s/m for titled  land with complete access and anything near a beach 15-20K per S/M with varying prices in between. Mad!

We looked at buying on Panglao Island in 2001, decided against it prices then were around P200 to P2000 depending how close to the beach.

We decided to come to Negros island and ended up in Bacong 5 miles south of Dumaguete. Paid P280 sqm.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

We paid p250 per sqm, here in Pangasinan, in 2015, for 600 sqm...roadside lot. 

Now at least p1000 for the same location. 

Shame it's 7 miles to the nice beach, but family are close to us here. :smile:

IMG_20160607_142230.jpg

IMG_20160603_115207.jpg

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 3/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, RBM said:

Often wondered what has happened to the many dive shops, resorts there. Most owned by expats, many over heads remain even with few or no customers. 

At least now from reading the sun star its reopened so trust things are happening again.

Yes Mike,

I recently view a vlogger's Youtube post showing what a ghost town Moalboal had become. Many resorts in our area have become super quiet, save for a few local Cebu tourists that come for the day rate. They can't make any money on them.

Luckily, local folks here in the province as you said, can fall back on fishing or farming etc. to try to get by. Fears that Gov. Gwen Garcia wants to open up domestic tourism from other areas of the Philippines, has brought some concerns that Covid might be more prevalent in return. Work on procuring more jabs will have to go hand in hand with opening up the economy I would think.

Hike--Moalboal has always been a magnet for local expats. Did they all head home when the pandemic hit, or are many still around?

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Queenie O. said:

Yes Mike,

I recently view a vlogger's Youtube post showing what a ghost town Moalboal had become. Many resorts in our area have become super quiet, save for a few local Cebu tourists that come for the day rate. They can't make any money on them.

Luckily, local folks here in the province as you said, can fall back on fishing or farming etc. to try to get by. Fears that Gov. Gwen Garcia wants to open up domestic tourism from other areas of the Philippines, has brought some concerns that Covid might be more prevalent in return. Work on procuring more jabs will have to go hand in hand with opening up the economy I would think.

Hike--Moalboal has always been a magnet for local expats. Did they all head home when the pandemic hit, or are many still around?

Sorry RBM--this was addressed to you, as I think that you're in a beach area too. Mike J, being in Moalboal, Cebu

RBM
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Sorry RBM--this was addressed to you, as I think that you're in a beach area too. Mike J, being in Moalboal, Cebu

No I in a condo Bacolod, did spend years on a beach....enough, now at 70 need comforts Queenie. Thanks reply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic