Shipping tablet with lithium battery

Ronfrew
Posted
Posted

Hi, I want to post two Amazon Fire 8 tablet computers from the UK to family in the Philippines but because they contain lithium batteries Royal Mail and DHL say they can’t ship them, is there anyway I can send them or is it just not possible due to Philippines customs restrictions?

Regards, Ron

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Use a Balikbayan box to ship them.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ronfrew said:

I want to post two Amazon Fire 8 tablet computers from the UK to family in the Philippines but because they contain lithium batteries Royal Mail and DHL say they can’t ship them

I wonder how it is possible that I can order them online and have them shipped via post if the post office won't handle them.  But that is just a meandering thought.  Old55 has the right answer.  Balikbayan box!

• Like 1

Ronfrew
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys for replying, I enquired at UK Royal Mail and DHL they both emailed back to state they do not ship items with lithium batteries but it might be different rules for commercial shippers or other countries.

You suggest using a Bakikbayan box, I looked into that ages ago as I send stuff to my family several times a year but I was told back then that only Philippine nationals are permitted to send Balikpapan boxes and I am Scottish.

regards, ron

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ronfrew said:

You suggest using a Bakikbayan box, I looked into that ages ago as I send stuff to my family several times a year but I was told back then that only Philippine nationals are permitted to send Balikpapan boxes and I am Scottish.

Everyone ships Balikbayan boxes so not sure who gave you that info.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Ronfrew said:

Hi, I want to post two Amazon Fire 8 tablet computers from the UK to family in the Philippines but because they contain lithium batteries Royal Mail and DHL say they can’t ship them, is there anyway I can send them or is it just not possible due to Philippines customs restrictions?

Regards, Ron

Can you use fedex ?

https://www.fedex.com/en-ph/shipping-guide/pack/lithium-batteries.html

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

You already purchased them?  If not, you can order from Lazada and they will deliver.   4182 peso plus delivery charge of 41.50 peso.

image.png

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Ronfrew said:

Thanks guys for replying, I enquired at UK Royal Mail and DHL they both emailed back to state they do not ship items with lithium batteries but it might be different rules for commercial shippers or other countries.

regards, ron

I suppose individuals are more of a security risk than companies hence online stores can send with no problem but you cannot.  However, you can send via Balikbayan but as you're not a Filipino you won't get the tax and duty-free benefits.  Do you know any Filpinos there who can help you out?

7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Everyone ships Balikbayan boxes so not sure who gave you that info.

Anyone can send but only Filipino nationals can avail of the preferential tax and duty-free privileges. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I suppose individuals are more of a security risk than companies hence online stores can send with no problem but you cannot.

That would make sense except that just last week I bought one on Ebay . . delivered by mail . . . from an individual selling on Ebay.  Hmmm  Maybe they don't ask don't tell.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Maybe they don't ask don't tell.

Not the worst philosophy to have to get by here. Or anywhere else for that matter.