Shipping tablet with lithium battery

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I suppose individuals are more of a security risk than companies hence online stores can send with no problem but you cannot.  However, you can send via Balikbayan but as you're not a Filipino you won't get the tax and duty-free benefits.  Do you know any Filpinos there who can help you out?

Anyone can send but only Filipino nationals can avail of the preferential tax and duty-free privileges. 

There would only pay tax if he listed new items. If he filled the box with many things as there will be plenty of room and not have them in packaging then will be fine. The law is still they can not open the boxes. Remember a few years back in the news?  I certainly pay no tax when I sent my boxes.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

suppose individuals are more of a security risk than companies hence online stores can send with no problem but you cannot.

The batteries are a fire risk and thats the issue. Can't see any difference in a backyard seller online to anyone else. If fedex ships them so should many others.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There would only pay tax if he listed new items. If he filled the box with many things as there will be plenty of room and not have them in packaging then will be fine. The law is still they can not open the boxes. Remember a few years back in the news?  I certainly pay no tax when I sent my boxes.

Most will ignore the rules but it doesn't mean the rules don't exist.  

1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The batteries are a fire risk and thats the issue. Can't see any difference in a backyard seller online to anyone else. If fedex ships them so should many others.

Yes, I know why they are a problem but the point is a business is more likely to handle/pack them better than a private individual.  For some companies they may decide it's not worth the hassle.

Ronfrew
Posted
Posted

After making further enquires at Royal Mail website it transpires they do in fact ship items containing lithium batteries, subject to certain conditions eg number of batteries so apologies for any confusion. They inform that is the Philippines Postal Service or Customs which prohibits lithium batteries. I looked at Lazada but already purchased the tablets in the UK.

l am considering removing the batteries before I post them might be less hassle and I will definitely be looking into balakbyan boxes for the future, many thanks guys for all the input.

regards, ron 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Ronfrew said:

l am considering removing the batteries before I post them might be less hassle and I will definitely be looking into balakbyan boxes for the future, many thanks guys for all the input.

Removing the batteries may actually cause more hassle.  Most of the rules against shipping lithium batteries refers to loose batteries. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Ronfrew said:

They inform that is the Philippines Postal Service or Customs which prohibits lithium batteries.

And yet, I bought a lithium battery online and had it shipped by Philippine post from China.  I think the rules are not enforced here.  Just wrap it like a book and call it a book.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

The general concern is with cheap/defective lithium batteries... when they are stored in luggage or cargo compartments, they catch on fire, go unnoticed, and overcome the fire suppression system. Airlines will allow you take them as  carry on luggage and there are size and quantity requirements. Some electronics have been recalled because they have defective lithium batteries and airlines won't allow those to be carried on. And yep it's complicated since there are so many different types.

How's that work for shipping???  Many carriers, shipping companies, and countries don't want to deal with the complications so they make broad regulations to prohibit. 

Are there workarounds??? Sure many just ignore the rules or put them in boxes and don't worry about it (many of those people aren't on the plane either)... but if you've ever seen a lithium battery catch on fire.... you don't want to be on the plane if it does.  

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/resources/lithium_batteries/media/Battery_incident_chart.pdf

As of November 04, 2020, 300 air/airport incidents involving lithium batteries carried as cargo or baggage that have been recorded since January 23, 2006.

• Like 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And yet, I bought a lithium battery online and had it shipped by Philippine post from China.  I think the rules are not enforced here.  Just wrap it like a book and call it a book.

Yep, everything we ship is a "book" or "clothes" )))))

• Haha 1