Building a Bungalow with Zero CHB`s.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

OK so what are the walls going to be built from? 

Fred, the "self appointed engineer,Architect,foreman and general dogs body/labourer/painter decorator etc" wants to keep that a surprise. :tongue:

• Haha 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Fred, the "self appointed engineer,Architect,foreman and general dogs body/labourer/painter decorator etc" wants to keep that a surprise. :tongue:

My guess, he will make large shutters and interlocking slabs will be the result. Way to go Fred look forward to your posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fred
Posted
Posted

Next job is to paint 10 ft long C Perlins with red lead.. We live near the sea and the salt in the air is highly corrosive we have discovered.
The guys burn  small holes through the center of the perlin and position it plum to the outside edge of the column.. The holes are marked and  12mm holes are drilled on a 35 Degree angle  around 7"deep.
We pour a grout into the hole and knock in 12mm rebar dowels 10 inches long through the perlin and then bend flush the rebar dowels and full weld to secure.
Really important that the outside edge of Perlin is plum!! (straight).

Cropped image of post.jpg

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This is starting to look quite interesting. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, fred said:

Then we clad the studs with 1/4" hardiflex on the exterior only

Have you had it up long enough to see how it holds up to water?  The manufacturers say it is waterproof but such was not my experience.  I used it on my ceiling and a leaking pipe above it proved to me that it would need additional waterproofing if used on an exterior wall.  But maybe the area you are in will not get wet . . large roof overhang for example.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Fred, this is a question not a criticism. Would it be helpful to add insulation inside your walls to keep the heat manageable? 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Have you had it up long enough to see how it holds up to water?  The manufacturers say it is waterproof but such was not my experience.  I used it on my ceiling and a leaking pipe above it proved to me that it would need additional waterproofing if used on an exterior wall.  But maybe the area you are in will not get wet . . large roof overhang for example.

Yep.  I'm on the fence about it as I've seen it hold up well and also not so well.  There different types and applications and I often wonder if contractors really know which works best in different applications. 

• Like 3