Thinking of moving to Baguio area from the US

Dave70
Posted
Posted

Want to chat with an expat living in the Baguio area to see what life and cost of living is really like.  I would want a decent apartment/condo or house to rent with 3 bedrooms and at least 2 baths. Also want safety, accessibility to markets and shopping, and amenities like a pool, playground,  etc. 

Would anyone like to help me out with this?

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.  I am sure someone with knowledge of Baguio will be willing to share their experience.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Dave. I dont think we have any members living in Bagio, but stick around, a lot of good info here. As to your requirements 

4 hours ago, Dave70 said:

apartment/condo or house to rent with 3 bedrooms and at least 2 baths. Also want safety, accessibility to markets and shopping, and amenities like a pool, playground,  etc. 

You are asking a lot in one property. Most condos are high rises. Usually 1 bed and 1 bath. 2 bedrooms are available but still only 1 bath. The better ones will usually have a community pool (small) and are usually near markets and the like.

In the newer subdivisions, (to us americans they are gated communities) will have a community center with pool and stuff, the older ones are a buy the lot and build your own. 

Now just for fun I googled condos in Baguio. Saw one place 2 bed 1 bath, didnt see a pool for 170,000 bucks and 56 square meters (about 500 square feet) which is about the average size here. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Have you been to Baguio yet, 'feet on the ground',  and had a look around ? 

• Like 4

Dave70
Posted
Posted

Have not been to the Philippines at all yet. Covid stopped my planned trip last year where I was going to scout it out so to speak. There are a few other areas recommended,  but I definitely want clean air, and cooler weather if possible. Not really looking to buy, and doesnt have to be in city center. Been a country boy most of my life anyway lol

• Like 5

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave70 said:

Have not been to the Philippines at all yet. Covid stopped my planned trip last year where I was going to scout it out so to speak. There are a few other areas recommended,  but I definitely want clean air, and cooler weather if possible. 

Best wishes on your future plans to live in the Philippines Dave70,  I can't vouch for Baguio, because I've never been there, but in the past few years Baguio City has experienced some problems with air pollution. Maybe the pandemic has decreased this of late but I'm not sure. I guess they are trying to address these concerns.

https://www.denr.gov.ph/index.php/news-events/press-releases/1437-denr-identifies-areas-of-concern-in-baguio-rehab

• Like 3

Dave70
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

Welcome to the forum Dave. I dont think we have any members living in Bagio, but stick around, a lot of good info here. As to your requirements 

You are asking a lot in one property. Most condos are high rises. Usually 1 bed and 1 bath. 2 bedrooms are available but still only 1 bath. The better ones will usually have a community pool (small) and are usually near markets and the like.

In the newer subdivisions, (to us americans they are gated communities) will have a community center with pool and stuff, the older ones are a buy the lot and build your own. 

Now just for fun I googled condos in Baguio. Saw one place 2 bed 1 bath, didnt see a pool for 170,000 bucks and 56 square meters (about 500 square feet) which is about the average size here.       

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Dave70 said:

Have not been to the Philippines at all yet. Covid stopped my planned trip last year where I was going to scout it out so to speak. There are a few other areas recommended,  but I definitely want clean air, and cooler weather if possible. Not really looking to buy, and doesnt have to be in city center. Been a country boy most of my life anyway lol

You may want to consider Valencia which is near Dumaguete.  Higher in elevation so it is cooler and not so crowded.   Valencia was on our short list when we moved here seven years ago. 

• Like 4

Dave70
Posted
Posted

How do you like it there? And where are you originally from? How does it compare?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave70 said:

How do you like it there? And where are you originally from? How does it compare?

We do not live in Valencia, we decided on Moalboal and we happy here.   There are quite a few forum members who live in Dumaguete and hopefully they will post their thoughts.  

• Like 1