Thinking of moving to Baguio area from the US

Dave70
Posted
Posted

Lucban Quezon and Palawan were recommended but not by someone that has ever been there. Dad was at Subic, USN, but that was many many decades ago

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Great update, Onmyway !   

I'm glad you mentioned their Great Earthquake. I remember us meeting a Pinay who lost a young sister to it, and was still emotionally affected by the tragedy 12 or 13 years later. The city was devastated at the time and by the time I got to visit, I was amazed at so much 'newness' due to all the reconstruction. Reminded me of arriving in Anchorage, Alaska in 1969, 5 years after its Great Quake. 

I'd have to look at the seasonal humidity charts, since it is a different climatic type. Since you mentioned that it is drier, it has me wondering. Unfortunately, on one several day stay we experienced 3 'bagyo's in a row, so we stayed put in the room since my asawa wanted to stay warm under the blankets and not venture out. No heaters in our hotel rooms.  When the CR's hot water shower unit failed, the staff gave us access to a second room for hot showering after my wife's demands. Only time we ever experienced cold damp in the PI was on our trips there. 

Winter weather there is very rainy and foggy it seemed to us at the time, despite the sunnier morns. If you lived there, I assume you'd need a heavier wardrobe to stay comfortable.

What do you think Onmyway ? Does the family there dress differently than in the lowlands ?

• Like 5

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)

We went up there about 3 months before the earthquake.. I loved the place so much back then that we bought a 135 sq mt lot!! 900 Peso per sqr mtr !! I think we over paid!
At that time it was really just a great cool down,summer get away from the sweltering Manila temps.
On the first night I couldn't believe that I was in the P.I and didn't even need an electric fan.
We still own that land to this day but later visits proved a little disappointing due to the huge population numbers since.
It`s still nice to go up there when we can.. I miss going to the market and buying big punnets of fresh strawberries for example.

Anyone wanna buy a titled lot in Baguio?? lol

Edited by fred
  • Like 5

Dave70
Posted
Posted

All this input is great! Your pictures are beautiful too. I love cooler weather myself, as long as it is above 40f, I'm usually in shorts and a tank top. From all of y'alls experience,  could a 50 y/o man retire there comfortable but not extravagant if he showed up with 500k usd? Maybe a little more?

• Like 3