Looking at Bataan - any feed back?

DaveB
Posted
Posted

I'm currently set up with a one year lease in Angeles City.  This ended up being my "set up shop" place per our move from the US back in October.  From here, we've been looking at where we really want to live.

I've had my eye on the Bataan Peninsula, for a variety of reasons including things like relatively easy access up to Clark and Angeles City, and access to the ocean.  Problem is...they have't relaxed their travel restrictions very much yet, despite the "official" changes at the Federal level.  The quarantine pass and QR code requirements I can deal with .  But the idea that I have to kick out another 5000 pesos for a COVID test - times two so my wife has one - just so I can go stay in a resort or hotel for a couple days and look around...well I haven't convinced myself to go for it yet.

Thought I'd ask the general forum for any insights on living in Bataan, while I ponder how bad I want to go there - and wait a bit to see if those nuts get ready to rejoin the rest of the country.  Any feed back would be appreciated.  Things like: living in Morong area vs. living in Balanga area - pros and cons.  How do Pacific side beaches compare to Manila Bay side?  Housing prices generally higher? Lower? Competitive?  General "feel" of the place: shopping, security, living conditions.  Whatever come to mind, I'm all ears. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I think you are going to find the same kind of issues almost everywhere in the Philippines for the foreseeable future.   The reality is that in many ways the Philippines is a developing nation, where poverty is endemic, and the medical infrastructure is lacking or subpar in most areas.  Currently there does not really seem to be much, if any, "light at the end of the tunnel" here.   But then again I may feel more encouraged after I have a second cup of coffee.   :morning1:

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

I have never heard of any poriners actually living in Bataan.

I suppose SOMEBODY must live there. :89:

DaveB
Posted
Posted

Hi OnMyWay...good to hear from you again.  And, again, you come up with good stuff.  This was just the kind of overview I was looking for...hope some more folks weigh in.  I'm all the more hopeful on getting down there in the next month or so, even if I have to eat their stupid COVID screening process to do it.  I've had a prejudice toward the Morong side of things just based on what I see from a distance, so really want to go there and see what it actually looks like.  

Still have an open invitation to any other forum members who have thoughts to pass my way.  Gotta get through the research for the next big move.

• Like 3

DaveB
Posted
Posted

By the way...I had read about a 2 hour ferry that runs between Batanga and Manila three times a day.  Anyone know if that thing is still active?  I have learned to approach Philippine websites with some skepticism...website maintenance always seems to be lagging.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
GMG_AFP_RhoVet
Posted
Posted

Historical backround on Morong:  Morong is the site of the last Cavalry charge of the U.S. Army (and U.S. military).  The charge was by the U.S.  Army 26th Cavalry (Philippine Scouts). It pushed advancing Japanese back across the Morong river. At the outbreak of the war, the cavalry of the 26th was the elite unit.  The charge was led by Lt. Ramsey (who went on to become a prominent guerilla leader after the fall of Bataan).

I had been in Morong many times "back in the day".  In fact I got my jeep stuck in the middle of the Morong River on my first visit.  I only recently learned of the historical significance of the site after reading "The Twilight Riders" by Peter F. Stevens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1