New member moving to Philippines questions

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Welcome to the forum Detlef. Please feel free to post in a new topic and introduce yourself we would like to know more about you. :tiphat:

Although we have members from many countries some who speak other than English (Scotts and Welsh in particular)  the forum posts are to be in English in order for everyone to understand. 

I'm offended - there's only 1 T in Scots!

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Leave it to those darn Americans to screw up the English language. :wave:

• Haha 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I'm not sure about the various little add-ons though, energy supplement etc. 

Once living in another country you lose any extra benefits like energy. You get a basic pension and thats it. Also unless things are changed if you have to be living in Australia for two years before applying for the pension which will be a pain for people like me.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Also unless things are changed if you have to be living in Australia for two years before applying for the pension which will be a pain for people like me.

Yeah, we're pretty unique in The Commonwealth with that requirement, something I'd forgotten about until you mentioned it.  The current government is even trying to stop pensions altogether if you move overseas.  

• Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

The current government is even trying to stop pensions altogether if you move overseas.  

Seems a Little unfair my friend, as you may know, The Uk actually ( to some degree) encourage it, we have  a Social Security agreement with the PI that pays us as per the UK rules and gives us Yearly rises, Seems a little  un Commonwealth on this issue from OZ :89: You all paid in why should it matter where you spend your Dosh, Yes it can be said it keeps the cash in OZ But.........................

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Seems a Little unfair my friend, as you may know, The Uk actually ( to some degree) encourage it, we have  a Social Security agreement with the PI that pays us as per the UK rules and gives us Yearly rises, Seems a little  un Commonwealth on this issue from OZ :89: You all paid in why should it matter where you spend your Dosh, Yes it can be said it keeps the cash in OZ But.........................

I gave up trying to work out politicians years ago mate but yes, most here agree it would be unfair so it hasn't gained much traction.  Given my other guaranteed income streams I already receive due to my military service, I'd only ever receive about a quarter of the full amount (it's means tested), it'd be a nice little kicker but not something I'd have to rely on when I reach 67.  

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

They tried stopping Australians from taking their pensions overseas but when they sat back and worked out the number of overseas pensioner's, 70k odd, they didn't have the infustructure to accommodate them if they returned home and demanded their old age pensioner spot in an old age pensioner home. Discrimination is what was mentioned and yes it is normally twelve months before you can get a pension if you have lived overseas as well as medical, but their is ways around the medical and the pension. Once you've got your pension, that is the time to make up your mind if you want to live overseas. :cheersty:

• Like 4