Covovax

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have not kept up with the Covid updates you all have given here on the forum, so I though I would reach out for opinions here.

The Philippines is rolling out vaccines at a snails pace.  I have seen estimates of many years to get PH residents vaccinated, at current rates.  As for expats living here, who knows?  Here in Subic Bay there are many expats, some retired and some running businesses of many kinds.

Subic Bay Chamber of Commerce has teamed up with Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority and drug company Unilab to try an speed things up.  Unilab has signed contracts to distribute Covovac in the Philippines.  Covovac is made in India under license from Novavax, a U.S. company.  Testing is not complete yet but looks good so far.  SBCC will contract with Unilab for XXX doses of Covovac, based on the requests of businesses and residents in the freeport.  They are anticipating starting vacinations in Q3.

I'm not seeing any alternatives in our area.  Olongapo has done maybe 2000 AZ vacs in the past few weeks.  How about in your areas?  Have you heard of any plans where expats can get vaccinated?  What do you think of this plan?  I have pasted the text below but it did not format well.  Original PDF letter is attached.

March 23, 2021
Dear Members, SBFZ Residents and Friends:
Amidst the months of waiting by some for the arrival of the covid vaccines, and the
hesitations of other people whether to take it or not, the SBFCC is taking the step
forward to bring the opportunity to be immunized.
After our search for the most feasible vaccines to be made available in our community,
only Unilab came up with concrete and definite guidelines and timeline for the
availability of covid vaccine. Thus, in partnership with UNILAB, Phils and SBMA, we
are bringing the COVOVAX vaccine in Subic Bay.
In order for everyone to come up with a decision whether to take covovax or not, we
invited UNILAB to present before us last March 19, 2021 to make available for us the
needed information about the said vaccine.
Subsequent to the information dissemination via the aforementioned webinar, we are
providing some details about the SBFCC- UNILAB- SBMA vaccination program as seen
below:
WHAT - COVOVAX Vaccine
PRICE - PH 2,400 (two doses)
(Ph2000- base price of UNILAB)
(Ph400) –
 print out of papers for waiver and check-up
forms and other admin costs)
 Doctors’ fee which includes pre-screening
and consultation
 Protective personal equipment (PPEs)
 Medical supplies like disposable syringes,
alcohol, band aids and others)
 Meals and snacks for the vaccinators and
other medical people needed at the
inoculation site
Vaccination site - to be announced
Est Time of Arrival of Vaccines - July 2021- 3RD QTR 2021
Deadline of submission of Order - March 31, 2021
Payment - 8 weeks prior to arrival of vaccines
No down payment required

Cancellation Fee - Ph200/dose admin cost is nonrefundable
Next batch of arrival of vaccines - unknown
Should you decide to procure the vaccine thru the SBFCC, kindly fill out the attached
Procurement Commitment Form (PCF) and send back to us not later than March
31, 2021.
Further, as per advised by UNILAB, we can decrease the number of orders but we
cannot increase /add more than what we have initially indicated in the Purchase
Commitment Form. Thus, we do encourage you to be sure and specific as to the
number of vaccines you will order. You may extend the purchase for your employees’
family members and relatives.
As the SBFCC progresses into the process of this vaccination program, be confident
that you shall be updated of the status and the stages of the preparations we are
already undertaking.
Moreover, may we gently remind you that the SBFCC will order all the quantities being
requested by everybody, including non-members. However, if Unilab, for some
reasons, cannot deliver everything, SBFCC members will be given priority.
Should you have more queries with regard to this letter or the vaccination program,
feel free to contact the SBFCC office or email us at admin@sbfcc.com.
We hope to be of service to you in this fight against the covid virus.
Thank you and keep safe!
Sincerely,
Donna May B. Tamayo
Executive Director
Noted by:
Benjamin Antonio

COVOVAX VACCINE (1).pdf

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Through YouTube, I listened to a recent President Rodrigo Duterte live update.  Only for the first half hour before I switched to another channel.  Anyway, his explanation is that the vaccines are gifts with specific instructions on distribution.  For the first arrival of Sinovac from China, the allocation was 100,000 doses are exclusive for the military.  Why military?  I suspect the generals involved in negotiations added this provision so they and family members could gain early access.  President Duterte's concern was the son of a famous movie star and a number of mayors have been vaccinated using "gifts" from WHO through Covac.  This is in violation of the agreement with the potential for suspension of future shipments.  

In the case of Subic Bay, San Miguel Corporation, etc. I suspect this is part of the proposed shipments (through authorized government agencies) of vaccines for private use.  If someone can afford to pay, they get to jump the line.  Otherwise, you may have to wait years for the free vaccine depending on your priority group.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Otherwise, you may have to wait years for the free vaccine depending on your priority group.

I'm not aware that expats have any priority.  That is why I asked if others have heard anything about expats.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have not kept up with the Covid updates you all have given here on the forum, so I though I would reach out for opinions here.

The Philippines is rolling out vaccines at a snails pace.  I have seen estimates of many years to get PH residents vaccinated, at current rates.  As for expats living here, who knows?  Here in Subic Bay there are many expats, some retired and some running businesses of many kinds.

Subic Bay Chamber of Commerce has teamed up with Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority and drug company Unilab to try an speed things up.  Unilab has signed contracts to distribute Covovac in the Philippines.  Covovac is made in India under license from Novavax, a U.S. company.  Testing is not complete yet but looks good so far.  SBCC will contract with Unilab for XXX doses of Covovac, based on the requests of businesses and residents in the freeport.  They are anticipating starting vacinations in Q3.

I'm not seeing any alternatives in our area.  Olongapo has done maybe 2000 AZ vacs in the past few weeks.  How about in your areas?  Have you heard of any plans where expats can get vaccinated?  What do you think of this plan?  I have pasted the text below but it did not format well.  Original PDF letter is attached.

March 23, 2021
Dear Members, SBFZ Residents and Friends:
Amidst the months of waiting by some for the arrival of the covid vaccines, and the
hesitations of other people whether to take it or not, the SBFCC is taking the step
forward to bring the opportunity to be immunized.
After our search for the most feasible vaccines to be made available in our community,
only Unilab came up with concrete and definite guidelines and timeline for the
availability of covid vaccine. Thus, in partnership with UNILAB, Phils and SBMA, we
are bringing the COVOVAX vaccine in Subic Bay.
In order for everyone to come up with a decision whether to take covovax or not, we
invited UNILAB to present before us last March 19, 2021 to make available for us the
needed information about the said vaccine.
Subsequent to the information dissemination via the aforementioned webinar, we are
providing some details about the SBFCC- UNILAB- SBMA vaccination program as seen
below:
WHAT - COVOVAX Vaccine
PRICE - PH 2,400 (two doses)
(Ph2000- base price of UNILAB)
(Ph400) –
 print out of papers for waiver and check-up
forms and other admin costs)
 Doctors’ fee which includes pre-screening
and consultation
 Protective personal equipment (PPEs)
 Medical supplies like disposable syringes,
alcohol, band aids and others)
 Meals and snacks for the vaccinators and
other medical people needed at the
inoculation site
Vaccination site - to be announced
Est Time of Arrival of Vaccines - July 2021- 3RD QTR 2021
Deadline of submission of Order - March 31, 2021
Payment - 8 weeks prior to arrival of vaccines
No down payment required

Cancellation Fee - Ph200/dose admin cost is nonrefundable
Next batch of arrival of vaccines - unknown
Should you decide to procure the vaccine thru the SBFCC, kindly fill out the attached
Procurement Commitment Form (PCF) and send back to us not later than March
31, 2021.
Further, as per advised by UNILAB, we can decrease the number of orders but we
cannot increase /add more than what we have initially indicated in the Purchase
Commitment Form. Thus, we do encourage you to be sure and specific as to the
number of vaccines you will order. You may extend the purchase for your employees’
family members and relatives.
As the SBFCC progresses into the process of this vaccination program, be confident
that you shall be updated of the status and the stages of the preparations we are
already undertaking.
Moreover, may we gently remind you that the SBFCC will order all the quantities being
requested by everybody, including non-members. However, if Unilab, for some
reasons, cannot deliver everything, SBFCC members will be given priority.
Should you have more queries with regard to this letter or the vaccination program,
feel free to contact the SBFCC office or email us at admin@sbfcc.com.
We hope to be of service to you in this fight against the covid virus.
Thank you and keep safe!
Sincerely,
Donna May B. Tamayo
Executive Director
Noted by:
Benjamin Antonio

COVOVAX VACCINE (1).pdf 390.56 kB · 0 downloads

That's interesting, OMW.

In Cebu there are similar plans by companies in the private sector to purchase vaccines for their employees, but they are obliged by law to give a portion for use to the eligible groups of the population here. Not yet announced.

Covovax seemed like a choice that appealed to me too, and I know that it is one that is supposed to be available here in the Philippines in the future.  I read that many working Chinese nationals  had already been vaccinated by the Sinopharm vaccine that had initially been smuggled in and given out before the vaccines became available.

So far in Cebu I'm not aware of any such program to sell or even register through Unilab, but it  seems like a viable plan. . Not sure if expats would be eligible, but it doesn't say otherwise. Not sure if Covovax has been approved yet, but I'm sure it will be. I would definitely try to sign up for that for you and your family if possible. I think that by the third quarter of the year, more vaccines will be made available through different avenues.

It's very frustrating waiting for what's currently left over from the many Western countries that have purchased sometimes 3 times the amount of doses to cover their whole population, but it is what it is.   Patience is definitely a value as we see how this all pans out.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

That's interesting, OMW.

In Cebu there are similar plans by companies in the private sector to purchase vaccines for their employees, but they are obliged by law to give a portion for use to the eligible groups of the population here. Not yet announced.

Covovax seemed like a choice that appealed to me too, and I know that it is one that is supposed to be available here in the Philippines in the future.  I read that many working Chinese nationals  had already been vaccinated by the Sinopharm vaccine that had initially been smuggled in and given out before the vaccines became available.

So far in Cebu I'm not aware of any such program to sell or even register through Unilab, but it  seems like a viable plan. . Not sure if expats would be eligible, but it doesn't say otherwise. Not sure if Covovax has been approved yet, but I'm sure it will be. I would definitely try to sign up for that for you and your family if possible. I think that by the third quarter of the year, more vaccines will be made available through different avenues.

It's very frustrating waiting for what's currently left over from the many Western countries that have purchased sometimes 3 times the amount of doses to cover their whole population, but it is what it is.   Patience is definitely a value as we see how this all pans out.

Not surprisingly, the private sector is more efficient at getting things done.  Did you read about the expiring AZ vaccines?  Apparently, the big batch of AZ vaccines that are here will expire before the 2nd jab can be put in.  I think the gov claimed they could get it done in time, but it is extremely tight.

I am impressed at the organization and professionalism that the SBCC has shown.  Far better than anything coming out of SB Metropolitan Authority.

Companies have a huge incentive to get the jabs in their employees and employees families.  I would imagine that if they can prove that is done, they can return to normal workflow at full capacity.  So, if they pay to vaccinate 100 employees + 4 family members each, that would be p2400 X 500 = p1,200,000, about $25,000.  Small price to pay.

I have been on the fence about getting a vaccine soon.  I'm willing to wait until more guinea pigs get theirs.  I think I I will sign up for this program.  We can opt out later if need be.  I suppose I have to get a vac if I want to travel.  For my kids, I really don't think they need it, but I suppose they will also be forced to get it.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Did you read about the expiring AZ vaccines?  Apparently, the big batch of AZ vaccines that are here will expire before the 2nd jab can be put in.  I think the gov claimed they could get it done in time, but it is extremely tight.

My bro-in-law had his covid 19 jab the other day (nurse) AZ vaccine, said he his body was aching after the jab. Bet he can't wait for the second dose.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

My bro-in-law had his covid 19 jab the other day (nurse) AZ vaccine, said he his body was aching after the jab. Bet he can't wait for the second dose.

I don't think I know anyone in PH who has had the vaccine.  I know many in the U.S., all Pfizer and Moderna.  No terrible reactions to report.  Mostly soreness, a few mild fevers, fatigue.  I get the same things from regular flu vaccines.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not aware that expats have any priority.  That is why I asked if others have heard anything about expats.

A poor expat waiting for a free vaccination has a very low priority.  Citizens first.  He might as well wait for herd immunity.  A rich expat willing to pay for a vaccination will have a higher priority.  It's the Philippines.  You have to wait for the committees and sub-committees to finish arguing.  This will be followed by an announcement, a counter and contradictory announcement, followed by another announcement.  

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It is being "studied".  Currently expats are not included anywhere in the vaccine priority list.

I think this is kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" for the politicians and policy makers.  The vaccine, at least here in Philippines, is and will probably continue to be in very short supply.  Even if you allow/require expats to pay for their vaccine, you take away from that limited supply AND add to the "rich foreigner" criticism.   I would suggest they publish a policy statement that says; "Non citizens will be eligible for the vaccine following the same guidelines as citizens PROVIDED

1.  They pay for their vaccine

2.  Their country of citizenship must have reciprocity where OFW and/or Philippine citizens are not denied vaccine bases on citizenship.

My opinion only of course.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

It is being "studied".  Currently expats are not included anywhere in the vaccine priority list.

I think this is kind of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" for the politicians and policy makers.  The vaccine, at least here in Philippines, is and will probably continue to be in very short supply.  Even if you allow/require expats to pay for their vaccine, you take away from that limited supply AND add to the "rich foreigner" criticism.   I would suggest they publish a policy statement that says; "Non citizens will be eligible for the vaccine following the same guidelines as citizens PROVIDED

1.  They pay for their vaccine

2.  Their country of citizenship must have reciprocity where OFW and/or Philippine citizens are not denied vaccine bases on citizenship.

My opinion only of course.

Sensible criteria Mike.

I don't expect to be in any "priority" list anyway, and will patiently wait for my eligibility to come. Something tells me that out in the province here, I'll most likely be lining up in my barangay for a jab with all my fellow neighbors that are eligible like me.:smile: It's going to be a wait though, and as I signed on  and am able to live here happily, I'll just have to wait. Interesting that the Cebu population though, has the highest non-compliance rate/desire in getting the vaccine. I guess the Dengvaxia scare and unease with Sinovac has put people off. I think as more varieties of vaccines become available over time, the desire and interest will heighten. Any jab is a good one for me.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic