What prescription plans are usable in the Phillipines?

Paul Hobbs
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the responses. I have never been to the Philipines. I was actually supposed to fly over in May of last year, but we all know what happened there. I have been retired for 2 years now and I think the Philipines will be a good fit for me. I had planned to retire in Florida, for the weather and the beaches. Unfortunately, the direction the US has been moving breaks my heart and I think I would like to travel the next few years of my life. I have been following numerous vlogs and blogs for years. I believe Mactan is where I would like to visit, and hopefully live. My plan would be to get a condo and have the international airport right there to visit other countries. I've got my finances figured out and Mactan is right next to Cebu for good hospitals and modern conveniences. The only real hurdle I forsee is getting this one drug. After your helpful responses it seems that getting it in PH will be difficult so my sister has offered to let me use her address and she would reship it to me in Mactan. I just need to look into the overnite shipping possibilities. Any glaring holes in my plans? Open to suggestions. Seems like there is no hurry as the PH will probably not open for another year. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update Paul. We all wish you well and don't mean to be negative just realistic.

You could visit for a few weeks or whatever and see if Philippines is a good fit before making a commitment. Later this year things may open up enough to travel freely there.

Overnight shipping to Philippines is not guaranteed to be overnight. 

There are some very nice new condos on Mactan near the beaches. We looked at Newtown towers a little over a year ago. Nice one bedroom view furnished were $450USD - $550. Internet is very fast and you would be near the airport.

• Like 1

Paul Hobbs
Posted
Posted

Just spent time online looking up all the shipping prices. It looks like UPS guarantees delivery in 2-4 days for 75 dollars. Is UPS reliable in PH?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Paul Hobbs said:

It looks like UPS guarantees delivery in 2-4 days for 75 dollars. Is UPS reliable in PH?

Negative thoughts but Honestly meant, Sad to say that very little is as reliable as people make out :whatever: and guarantees, well how long is a piece of String, :tiphat:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Paul Hobbs said:

Just spent time online looking up all the shipping prices. It looks like UPS guarantees delivery in 2-4 days for 75 dollars. Is UPS reliable in PH?

It may or may not happen.  As others have suggested it would be best to visit here a few weeks or month and see if you really like it.  The Philippines can be a nice place to retire but not for everyone.  Anyway if you want to really see how fast your med can arrive here, come for the suggested visit and have your sister do a test shipment.  But remember, even one shipment can be hit or miss.  Still better is to try to find a comparable medication that is available here.  Also while on your visit you could visit a doctor and get their suggestion.  Another good way to see how things work here.....not the same as in the states.

best of luck.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Paul Hobbs said:

That sounds like the price for a small letter size envelope of 20 pages or so.

A.  You are shipping a drug.  It will need to be approved by Philippines FDA on arrival or somehow get it preapproved.

B.  I think you indicated it requires  refrigeration.  If they offer it, that is a special handling product.

C.  Most likely, you will incur customs duties and taxes.

D.  You will require insurance.

E.  Most of the carriers quotes include 1 day for travel over the dateline, are in business days, and exclude weekends.  For instance, pickup in the US on Friday and delivery on Monday would be 1 business day.  Pickup on Monday and delivery on Thursday would be 3 business days.  That is why they quote a range of business days.  If you put in an actual pickup date, some can give you an estimated delivery date.

F.  DHL used to be one day faster than UPS and Fedex, but that was 10 years ago.  It may have changed.  They could offer 2 business days afternoon delivery for Manila area.  Other areas are at least 1 day extra.

I was in the express shipping business for many years.  This will be a tough one on a one-off basis.  Not something your sister can just drop off at the office.  Usually refrigerated drug shipments for drug companies are prearranged by the express sales teams for regular shippers, and special handling, labeling, etc., is coordinated start to finish.  Nowadays, the customers even put in temperature control RFID/GPS monitors.  If the express company lets a box sit out in the sun, etc., it will ruin the shipment and the customer will not pay for it.  Of course all of that would be in the contract between the customer and the express company.

This is how all the vaccines are moving around the world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Paul Hobbs said:

I have been following numerous vlogs and blogs for years.

It is wise to keep in mind that the people making those are looking for lots of views.  They do that by selling hopes and dreams.  Very few blogs tell people what they do not want to hear and the blogs that do that do not get many views.

Just a word to the wise.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

This is how all the vaccines are moving around the world.

Since they will be shipping vaccines here for years maybe the OP can get some of his meds placed on the flights. :whistling:

• Haha 2